1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Re email notifications, see my previous reply, all seems to be working fine, for me anyways.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

creaky, LOCO,

everything else with my ISP is working great. I'm getting emails from other places/ppl as usual. I don't understand what's going on with aD. no notification emails period. this really sux!

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Creaky, you're from the UK aren't you? I've no idea why but that seems to be the only correlation I can think of so far.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    It has to be your e-mail, as Hotmail is working fine for me! I'm getting all the notifications from AD. I occasionally have problems sending to my buddy's Yahoo Mail. He just doesn't seem to get them for some reason!

Best Regards
    Russ

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wow, that's not something you hear every day! :)

But yeah, no problems with Google Mail UK.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

I'm getting email (tigerdirect, newegg, meritline, supermediastore, etc) so I know my email is working as usual. I set the firewall to always allow aD. we'll see if that does anything. I doubt it tho. I'm just not getting sent notifications. I haven't changed a thing to cause the problem.

well I'm getting off topic. if you don't see any posts from me at least you know why. aD doesn't like me anymore.

7. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Hello again,
    How long would it take you guys to build a PC, if you had one full day to work on it nonstop?? Would it take longer than one day??

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

as long as have all the parts ready then no as pc can be built in less the half an hour without modifications.

9. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

My newest purchases...
    CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF -
    Retail Item #: N82E16820145197 $139.00 ($109 with $30 rebate)

HP Officejet 5610 Q7311A Up to 20 ppm Up to 4800 x 1200 dpi InkJet MFC / All-In-One Color Printer -
    Retail Item #: N82E16828104393 $99.99 ($69.99 with promo code)

PALiT NE/880TSXT302 GeForce 8800GT SONIC 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card -
    Retail Item #: N82E16814261012 $169.99 ($149.99 with $20 rebate)

Subtotal $408.98
    Tax $27.48
    UPS Ground $0.00
    Promo code -$30.00
    Order Total $406.46 ($356.46 after $50 in rebates)

Not Bad... :)
    especially since I just bought that same printer last week for $118 at Target...I wiil take mine back to Target tonight...

@mrk44...
    It all depends on the specific combination of components that you are using...but a full day for 1...is certainly possible...
    Its the loading of all the programs that take the longest...
    Generally I would want a week with a computer...to really know...if its really all right...

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mrk44,
    It's all strictly speaking, just assembly. Installing the CPU, CPU Cooler, Power Supply, Memory, Video Card and drives. From that point on it should run, at least at stock speeds with the default settings! It should take less than an hour! The software takes far longer! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

man i screwed up then. its taken me 3 months to get mine built??????

just playing. heck even for me doing it for the very first time i think i had it all together in 2 hours. but i was being super carefull and not 100% sure of what i was doing. but now after haveing it all apart 20+ times shoot i think i can get it up to post in a hour if not less....yes thats me braggin on myself... i know the guru's here can do it faster. and no im not taken jabs at you guys. without you gurus i would still be trying to install the cooler without the CPU under it..lol

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Rob, that's because you had really bad luck!

Seriously, if we are only talking about building, I can do it in less than half an hour. Usuallyu I watch a movie at the same time so it takes me about an hour. Installing software DOES take much longer.

If you are talking building from scratch and not doing anything specia(and you know what you want to buy) it should take you 2-3 days to get parts from newegg, and then one more day to build and test(if you OC, then stress testing, etc).

13. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@boozer
    I bet it looks like you took a 1/2 hour too...LOL... :)
    Youth...Hell...it can take me a couple hours for wiring alone on a build...but...I guarantee it looks tight...when its done...
    I bought the 8800GT 1GB...like you had...man I hope its a good card...I just couldn't pass on the price...

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The actual construction of a PC, if done thoroughly I tend to find takes between 40 minutes and an hour and a quarter, depending on the complexity of the build - if you're going for an absolute tidy cable approach it might take an hour and a half. Installing software usually takes as long if not longer.

Question for you guys,

Firefox crashes more than half the time when I close it - the window remains in place, unclickable, and firefox.exe increases its memory usage by about 50MB/s until it reaches a few hundred meg, and then i get a 'not responding' box with an end now button on it. Any ideas why this might be? Happens with all release candidates of firefox 3, and the full released version. Not tried rolling back to 2 yet, but I was using 3 RC1 before I reinstalled windows with no problems... Firefox can also randomly crash while I'm using it, though not so often.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I experienced all sorts of problems with Firefox 3! Random crashes, constant error messages where Firefox needed to close suddenly because it encountered an error. It was far more a PITA to get completely rid of 3, as I had to clean out the registry manually. Then I installed Firefox 2 and all was well again! I do notice that Mozilla is no longer haunting you to download 3! They know there are problems with it, so they're no longer pushing 3 very hard!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, interesting. I didn't have much of a problem with it before, but hearing that I'll certainly roll back. I don't really see any advantages to having version 3 anyway.

Thanks Russ

LOL I installed the latest build of 2, and now firefox doesn't open any more - the second the window appears "Mozilla firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close"...

Ok, did a full uninstall and reinstall with version 2, and now it seems to be working - I also uninstalled Flash - for some reason when I install Adobe Flash now, half my programs seem to stop working. Are there any alternative programs that render flash animations?

17. creaky

I'm using the final of Firefox 3, no problems so far, only used it on a few Windows pc's, not Linux. Also using the latest Opera - 9.5, also working very well, in a couple flavours of Linux and in Windows too, all across a few different machines.
    There are loads of different browsers in Linux, plus a few alternatives for flash etc. I have no problem with flash on Windows or Linux under whichever browser i use.

My email notifications are with gmail, they have been for a while as most of the notifications had stopped working thru Hotmail. Anyone that's missing notifications, check in your 'subscribed list of forum posts'.

As to building pc's, it doesn't take long building at all, it's all easy as pie, and software takes a little longer.

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

sam FF3 i just installed and its perfect, much quicker at loading pages than before, esp with 20+ tabs :)

and for building, it takes me 2hours (not inc software BIOS etc)

this is because i cable manage like a chef with 10 pots cooking.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well this is it, it worked fine on my old dog-slow XP install, but since reformatting on my raptor, it's been nothing but a pain in the backside. FF2 is now working fine on it, haven't had the guts to reinstall flash yet though - I've already had to uninstall/reinstall it more times than I can remember as I use an online gameclient Garena - if I try to run a game via it with flash installed, it disables DirectX until I restart, so I can't run any games... :S

20. creaky

There's still plenty life in FF2 Sam, plus give Opera 9.5 a try, i think you'll be impressed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.