1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol, Ok then. Then you are like me, drooling over these cards but I can't buy them.

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Soph has an air conditioned case and luvs it. I don't know what brand he has tho.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I personally would go for the HD4850 - even by the time you then get a 24" monitor you will not have any problems running anything at native resolution. My advice to you about the student overdraft is by all means use it for PC stuff, but only if you know you're going to pay it off. Even if you don't get charged interest, you essentially find yourself hovering around the limit for a long long time... This comes from personal experience.

4. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

hey sam temps very do due to room temp i got my central air at 69 for my house very cool and my computer is in my bedroom on my dresser the air duct is right above my computer in the ceiling so when the air kicks on..it gets sucked in from the front and side panels by the 120mm's fans..but if..i do crack the windows open and turn the air off the cpu temp will rise..

3.5ghz room temp

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2008
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's amazing how much of a difference room temperature can have, I agree. It's almost exponential.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

69 degrees F, you must have deep pockets will :) that's a little chilly for me. I keep the thermostat at 76-77 degrees F during the summer months and 73 degrees F during the winter months.

yes, ambient air temp makes a BIG difference in cpu temp, especially core temps. I have a central air vent not too far away from my pc and all my pc temps drop quite a bit when the ac kicks on. my pc temps are also several degrees lower during the winter months due to the lower ambient room temp. this applies to all my pc's.

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

cheers for the advice sam..... well the x2900XT (for £35) is coming on monday, so ill sell that asap, should fetch about £60 on ebay, which would give me £260. so a £60 HX520 (im sure that will run xfire 4850s) and a £130 4850 gives me still £70 spare.

ill use that to buy parts to mod the akasa zen, OR ill save up for the antec 1200 OR save it for the 24"...

cheers sam. i know what i am getting in the next week then :)

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It ran CFed 3870s with miles of room to spare, so no worries about that PSU.

9. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Robert i wouldn't get it

have you considered the Antec 900/1200 ?? thoses are proven to be one of the best cases to keep your mobo,cpu etc cool

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

ZoSo,

ask Soph over at DVD Hounds about his air conditioned case. he swears by it and has had more cases/pcs than all of us put togather. he paid a lot more for his but rob said it is the same model he linked to.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  11. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

no my pockets ain't that deep..i just try to pay my bills on time and alittle over for future credit..lol..my wife complains about the air bein so cool that's why we got a thick comforter on are bed and wear house coats around the house..lol..i might just run a special air duct down from the ceiling to my computer so it can get direct air flow into the case..then my wife may think ..i'm crazy then..lol she already things that when..i run a fan in the winter time when..we sleep..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2008
  12. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

lol Mort thats cool

BTW Mort did you use the stock bios for the Asus Rampage mobo that I/we have? I should be up and running by next weekend

Robert I'm going to have my Antec 900 for sale since I'm getting the 1200 if your interested, its in perfect shape

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

there was only the one bios my mobo came with at the time I got mine being it had just rescently been released. there might be a bios update now but I don't see the need to update as I'm not having any problems. my bios is 0219.

14. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

right on , thanks!

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

on a side note: the reason I was not recieving any email notifications is because my ISP (AT&T Yahoo DSL) rescently had a security update and are blocking all emails from aD. this is not only affecting me but everybody that uses AT&T. what a bunch of BS.

I was on the phone with AT&T second tier tech support yesterday and he emailed me instructions for what aD needs to do to remove the block. I passed it on to Ketola and it may or may not work. it takes 24-36 hours to take effect. in the meantime I'm using my hotmail addy.

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

im sorry sam i didnt mean that the temps under load wouldbe 35c. i ment that under load most have there temp 10c lower than mine (55-60c)under load. so theirs under load would be 45-50c...

i know my temps arent bad and i shouldnt worry. alot of people with personal knowledge with this have assured me of this.what im getting at is....i personaly have not found anyone with my mobo and my cpu combo to see if they have the same temps. i have seen and read and heard people with the X38/X48 chipsets and the E8400 and the temps under load being in the mid to high 40's. im thinking it has something to do with my mobo the GA-P35-DS3R. i know it required the F11 bios from the get go for the E8400 cpu. so im just wondering if there is more to it than just a bios change?

i know i have had my CPU in bigwills mobo(GA-EP35C-DS3R) AND THE TEMPS were down where his and everyone elses temps are.28-32c at idle and 35-40c on the cores at idle..... am i makeing sense in what im trying to say about the board???? i just havent seen anyone else with the same cpu and mobo to see waht temps they are getting??

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Actually, he's not! I went and looked up all the reviews I could find for this case, and everyone praised it's cooling abilities! It's also a very good price as it's listed at $320-$369 in all the reviews I looked at! Even the PSU seems to be well received! I'm not too keen on 90mm fans but my AMD cools very well with a single 92mm fan, so I know that if the airflow design is right, it should work very well.

cincyrob,
    Based on what I've read about this case, I would give one a try. If it doesn't do the job, send it back! Just don't set it on the carpet as that will block the heat exhaust from the cooling unit. It will use a little more energy because of the Peltier cooling system, but if it keeps things cooler, then who cares! In all the reviews I've read about this case, it seems to work as advertised, with lots of praise for the quality of construction and the performance!

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A little extra heat? it might keep your PC cool, but it'll use a great deal more power, and power = heat.

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

it can't use that much more power. the psu that comes with the case is only 460 watts.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

460W is a substantial amount of power though, assuming it's a well built unit it could still power a reasonable PC after the power debt of the AC unit, which would probably be a hundred watts or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.