1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Phase cooler? P5B? E6600?

Three words

YOU LUCKY BASTARD

2. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

True, it should be a nice setup when it's built.

3. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

what is phase cooler? should i get it to ? just received ocz psu and freezer pro 7 (damit it huge). the psu got so long cables that it would be enough for even bigger mobo, and since in my case its gonna be on bottom cables are long enough to reach everything i need :D

4. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Personally I would only recommend Phase after you are used to working with other cooling methods first.
    Maybe look at water cooling before phase.
    I'm doing it, because I've had an E6600 for about a year and have pushed it as far as I can non both air and water, and now want to go the extra bit to see what I can bench my system at.
    You'll probably get the E6600 to 3.6Ghz on air anyway, it may be too hot to use Orthos for 8 hours solid, but will probably remain stable and usable under normal conditions.
    you also need to remember, that whilst all the kit you're using is very good quality and able to withstand high stresses from OC'ing, you do run the risk of damaging things, and not having a valid warranty if it's proven you caused the damage by OC'ing the system.
    If you can't afford to have an accident, then you have to go carefully.
    Taken from PCStats

Phase change cooling works on the same principle as a refrigerator. A compressor is used to change the state of a chemical refridgerant from liquid to vapour, and as this happens an endothermic reaction occurs where heat is absorbed causing the temperature to drop.

The system essentially works like this; the compressor compresses a gaseous refridgerant which causes it to rise in temperature. The refridgerant, still in gaseous form and under high pressure, is sent to the condenser (a heat exchanger) where it is cooled down and condenses into a liquid (this is the phase change that occurs). The now liquid refridgerant is forced at high pressure through copper capillary tubing into an evaporator chamber which is a low pressure area, and evaporates back into gaseous form, absorbing heat in an endothermic reaction (it gets very cold).

The evaporator chamber in a phase change cooling system just happens to be the block of copper which is attached to the CPU, so as the chamber decreases in temperature, it absorbs the heat energy from the processor below, lowering its overall temperature as well.

The refridgerant now in gaseous form once again, moves back through the compressor, and the entire cooling cycle repeats.

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

BigDK,

I'm very curious to see what you get out of your E6600 with phase change, not that I will ever do it. be sure to keep us posted.

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

same here, as im sure are most other regular overclockers reading these threads.

7. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I'm hoping for somewhere in between 4.1 to 4.5, but this particular make of phase cooler was chosen with a view to being able to work well on a quad core within the next year, whereas the Vapochill LS units aren't really up to the job.

I will certainly keep updating the posts to show how far I've got with it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  8. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

@BigDK

4.1 - 4.5? Man that would be awesome. Did you finally get all your parts in? I too am interested in what you come out with. I've always toyed with the idea of more advanced cooling but the furthest I went was peltier cooling. It worked great but the heat it generated in the case was horrid, let alone the HSF. Nowadays, I just try to see how far I can get with a good air cooling setup.

All,

I've finally decided on a case for my new HTPC. I went with the Silverstone LC-11. The system specs will be minimal but should do what I need it to do. Some parts will most likely be changed out to further reduce heat buildup.

Specs:
    ECS P4M800 rev.2
    Intel Celeron D 352 (3.2GHz) (Cedar Mill Core)
    1GB Corsair XMS DDR400
    Sapphire Radeon x1600Pro
    802.11g MimoXR (108Mb/s)
    Seagate ATA-100 40GB

I've have most of these parts just laying around which is why I figured I could do something with it. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  9. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

DQ6 replacement turned up today.
    So now I have the P5WDH Deluxe
    P5B Deluxe Wifi
    DQ6 965P Rev 3.3

Need to make some choices about what board to keep and what to sell on.
    Probably going to keep the DQ6 now that it's a rev 3.3 as this will give me the native 1333fsb support the other two boards won't give, ready for the new cpus when they come out.

Had the P5B up to 3.6GHz with the E4300 cpu in it, so thats now 3 consecutive boards that have been able to get this E4300 up to 3.6GHz.

It appears that most E4300 owners are struggling to get anything over 3.2-3.4Ghz, so it looks as though I got a very good one.

Having said that, I can't see any room for gain out of it, so it's being sold on eBay, with probably less than 30 hours total use.
    decided instead to use that money and get a 1333 fsb chip next month hopefully.

Been asked a few times now to see what the chip can do under phase, but it will be gone before the phase cooler get here (sorry!)

10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

shame that man i recon you could of had a wr with that one, as the best i have seen anywhere was 4.1ghz with one on a bench covered in fans and im sure you would get more than that under phase (mobo willing).

11. sarthak14

sarthak14 Member

LP531

Hey Man .... Exams Over ..... Really happy

Newa jus lukin into the specs and really nuthin much i can change aprt frm y'd u take 8800 GTS and nt 8800 GTX?????

And ya Another Rewuest LP531...The thing is my bro's in twn.
    He wants a no frills computer.Nt fr Gaming Purposes....Jus general Multimedia Stuff..Wathcin MOvies,Music and internet and stuff.

Stuff he already Owns
    Dell 24" - Resolution 1920 * 1800
    Internal MEdia Card Reader
    Wifi Card.
    DVD Writer
    Cd-rw/DVD Combo
    4 * 500GB
    1 * 250GB
    Keyobard and mouse
    Win XP
    5.1 speakers.

Nw wat else does he need to buy
    can u give me a list{yes im sorrie bt he really needs help}
    im guessing
    a case{full Tower}
    motherboard
    processer
    psu
    Vista Ultimate.
    Will he need a graphics card to run dell at the highest resoluition and to run Vista wid aero.so im guessing a cheap graphics card can do that.
    guessing he dnt need a sound card.

Thanks in advance man

12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Well the DQ6 was certainly a great board second time around as well.

CPU socket is damaged, thus not allowing the CPU to sit correctly in it and not work.

Another RMA, fantastic!

On a positive note, I finally have my Mountain Mods Cube case on its way.

I know lots of people hate the design, I don't and will look forward to getting that baby loaded and running.

13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@sarthak14
    was one of those exams english? you might be flunking that one

you might get a better response if everyone can understand you posts

you will also need some ram that is compatable with the mobo.

core2duo is the way to go with cpus right now, you will want 2gb of ram min for vista. a x1950pro is a very good card for the price right now but if you/he wants to do any gaming you would be better taking that money and putting it to a dx10 one. just to watch vids/surf the net a 1300/7300 would do fine. as for the mobo.....well it depends on other things you want like the number of sata/ide ports, digital sound outputs, fan free cooling and what about any future upgrades?

14. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@marsey99
    Your response to sarthak14 was completely out of line...If your purpose was to start a flaming war...then that is really sad...

15. Unjust2u

Unjust2u Regular member

Hello Everyone ! :) I have a quick question for anyone might like to answer? I just put together a new setup and bought a cheap wireless card for internet and gaming, well needless to say its great for internet but gets lag spikes for gaming. I know it's the wireless card because my laptop does not get these lag spikes also when wired to modem this does not happen on my desktop. well i see a lot of you on here overclock so i'm guessing you probably do some gaming as well, should i give up wireless for gaming or do you have a suggestion on a good wireless card for a new desktop setup? Thanks for any help/Unjust

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  16. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

@marsey99

I thought it was a fine response.

Eye dinunt c nuttin rong wid it @ awl.

17. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Not everyone here speaks English as their primary language..:(

I thought the purpose of this site was to help...not to insult...Posts should encourage people to hang around this site...not to drive them away...

I have had no problems understanding his posts...and I believe it was addressed to me...

18. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

That's okay then :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  19. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

Unjust2u if i would have to chosse between wireless and cable . =] cable is for me :) . moslty its cheaper and without suprises :) not like wireless like u said on your laptop it works good and on pc not :) so if u can take cable its stable for online gaming.

20. Unjust2u

Unjust2u Regular member

Thanks, That's what I'm thinking :/ It was just easier for me to do wireless, but i thought maybe by chance someone had this great wireless pci card for gaming? O'well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.