1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

rick5446,
    If you're just going with a Q6600 then use the GA-EP35-DS3R. If you were doing a Q9450 Yorkfield, then I would recommend the GA-X48-DS4. I plan to put a Q9450 in my P35-DS3R and then move it all up to a GA-X48-DS4, all packed in a nice NZXT Lexa Blackline case, in the future!

You can't really do better than the price on the Corsair PS you chose! That's a good price for such a quality PSU!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

why not go for a p45 board?

Oh i bought a sapphire HD 4850 from ebuyer for under £125 and a satiek eclipse II

does anyone want benchies? (of the saitek :p.... jk, the 4850?)

which ones?

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The P5E probably had less BIOS problems when you flash it to rampage formula. From what I have heard it's a great board and I would definitely get it.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    Not to be picky, but he didn't ask about a P45 MB! That's part of the problem around here from time to time. Hey if a guy asks, "what's a good MB"? He's fair game, but when someone is trying to narrow his choice down from what he's already researched and has pretty much decided his choices, so why confuse the issue? It would be different if the choices he gave were an ECS and a Jetway! LOL!! Then we would have to show him the "error of his ways"! "That" would be a "Moral Imperative" ROFL!!

Here, his choices are good solid ones. Both are excellent and highly rated motherboards! Same way with the PSU. It's high quality, and the price is right! Good choice, Rick!

We all need to really start reading the posts thoroughly, myself included, so we can answer the question being asked. Some times we tend to get into squabbles over Brand Loyalty because people (myself included, again) feel they have to "Defend" Brand X against Brand Y, which becomes a total clash of opinions. Mort will tell you, Sam will tell you and I will tell you, sooner or later it gets "Ugly"! It would also cut down on a lot of pages of Drama, too! Mostly because we didn't simply didn't answer the question, the poster asked! Get my drift? BTW! That's the knock on AD! Too much Drama! That's the number 1 response when someone mentions AD on other forums, "Too Much Drama"! If we don't have the Drama, we can attract more talented people here, along with a fresh crop of "Newbies"!

Respetfully,
    Russ

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  5. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

OMG. You are completely right!! You have no idea how many times I have not gotten a straight answer to a question I have posted. And your "future" build you stated in your earlier post is the same as the one i'm gonna start in 3 days (once my newegg order arrives!).

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mrk44,
    Best of luck with it. It should be a fine system!
    Thanks for supporting my position!

Russ

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Good luck Rick. :)

here's a little savings on the PSU.. link to Corsair 650 at ZZF $87.90 after MIR

Q6600 @ eWiz
    $197 (delivered to my place) give it a check and see what you can get it delivered for... saving money is saving money!!!!!!!

I would go with the X48-DS4 mobo if it were me. :) I have the P35-DS3P mobo and love it. It's (mine) not a TOP end mobo from GB but it's a good offering. :D Have you considered any other manufacturer for a mobo?? DFI, MSI, or ASUS for example. :D The GB is a good mobo so no worries there. :)

....gm

8. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

I actually found a cheaper price for that Corsair PSU. I don't know if any of you would use Buy.com, but they have it for $79.99 after MIR, and an additional $10 off if first time w/ google checkout! Heres the link: HERE

I got mine from there and all's good!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2008
  9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i cn speak on 2 of these products.first the good..lol
    the Corsair PSU is awsome i got mine from BUY.com for$99 cant beat that and it was shipped at that price...OG did i say cant beat that. well lookie here,,,,
    http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-tx-650w-atx12v-power-supply/q/loc/101/206178324.html

can you say $69.99 shipped...sweet!!!!!!!

now the GA-EP35-DS3R. i along with a bunch of others here have this boardwell the GA-P35-DS3R not the energy saver..lol
    if you get this board make sure the mem you get is compatiable with it. i will tell you first hand that crucial ballistix DDR2 1066 PC8500 is not compatible. not the newer stuff.
    as GM and Theone(Russ) stated go with the DS4 board. should let that quad roam with plenty room to expand all 4 cores..lol

i beleive if i redid my exact same build again right now i could save 150-200 bucks over all....lol

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

mrk44,
    NICE find there buddy!!! I always forget about buy.com... I shouldn't cause I've purchased many things from them in the past including a 550VX Corsair psu. lol. :)

Well there you go Rick.... $40 in savings and we haven't begun to shop... lol. :D

....gm

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

that's just part of it rob. my matched set (2gb) of corsair PC6400 cost me nearly $200 and that was after $40 MIR. it doesn't cost squat now. my E6600 cost me $325. you can get a Q9450 for less than that now. thats technology for ya.

I DID get a once in a lifetime deal on my CM stacker 830 evo. I doubt it will ever be at that price again but ya never know. My CM mystique is about the same. you can get my asus rampage formula now for $10-20 less but my asus P5W DH Deluxe WiFi is actually a little more now at most places (that seems a bit odd).

buy.com has very good prices on corsair psu's. maybe the best price's and they are a very reliable company too imo.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Indeed. A couple of our younger regulars post incessantly about the very latest products, even when the flow of the thread is going a certain way, or a newcomer to the thread wants recommendations on a certain build; luckily most here, while liking/knowing about latest products, show restraint and recommend more suitable products, while still passing on knowledge on said latest products; not everyone wants to buy the very latest, obscenely expensive products, myself included, so it's good there are those of you in here who give a balanced view on what parts to buy, that our newbie builders will be more suited to/their bank accounts will be more suited to.

just an oldie making a comment, not having a go, btw...

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    $49 after the $40 MIR! It's only been a few months and I paid $59 for mine, same rebate deal! Run fine at 1066, that's all I need!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145043
    Very good memory!

Being close to the front lines, up closer to the cutting edge is expensive, yes it is! The Newer the Tech, the Bigger the Check! LOL!!

Russ

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

greensman..The reason I went for the Newegg Q6600 is it comes with
    Heatsink & Fan for just 209.00
    I think I'll bite the bullit and go with
    GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4 LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard 224.99+8.55
    CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) 89.00

This is the case I've choosen, I've built with this case B4, everything went well plenty of room 2 work in
    Ultra Black Aluminus ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, Front USB, Firewire and Audio Ports 69.75
    http://www.globalcomputer.com/appli...Main-_-GLOEM704-_-Components&SRCCODE=GLOEM704

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i understand what everyone is saying, but i threw it into the hat, as P45s are proven OCers, Ocing well past the p35. he gae a choice of p35 and x48, butt he p45 is is the middle for money wise, and it rivals the x48 in term of OCability, which i am sure most of us here want from a mobo.

it was meerly a suggestion of a middle route fromt he selections he posted.

the other componenets i found fine, so i didnt comment about them.

and i didnt make any suggestion as to what brand he should get, so i hope that wasnt directed to me....

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I 4got 1 thing, I'm going 2 need a front fan 4 this case. In the front I would assume U would need something Quiet and speedy, on the inflo

17. icemen

icemen Regular member

hey peepz can anyone help me my computer is playing up, it comes on but the monitor is blank. i've been told it's my graphics card. Can this be changed quite easily if I try it myself considering i'm a novice? I think the graphics card I got is a Nvidia g force 6300 something, i'm not at home yet so can't say for certain. How much will one of those set me back? any help will be appreciated

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It could be, but that's not for certain. Is it new, or has this suddenly just happened to an existing working PC?

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

have you got a spare gfx card to check?

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Sorry too keep bothering everybody..But I also want 2 add 2 DVD Writers.
    But I would like 2 make sure they Booktype,bitsetting. Right now the only 1 that I know 4 sure is the LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1H, which I've found 2 be a very reliable unit, and well priced
    I've got a Sony, which has proven to be a good drive, but no bitsetting.
    I have the firmware & etc 2 convert it to lite-on but haven't done it yet

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.