1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

Rick I understand going with something that includes a hsf. ;) If you're gonna run the Q6600 at stock speeds then you have NO worries if you plan on even a mild OC then you will want an after market hsf.... thus the reason for the "cheaper" offering. ;) Hope that makes sense. :D

If you need a couple of NEW ODD's give these a L@@K!!! link to Sony/NEC/Optiarc AD-7200

Reported to be VERY GOOD burners!!! I don't have enough experience yet to comment on that but with everything that I've read and seen they are GOOD and worth the money that the EGG is charging!!!! :D

....gm

2. icemen

icemen Regular member

no it's an old PC, it just happen out the blue, i don't have a space graphics card, that's why i asked if they are expensive & easy to install

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

if you want one that is the same specs as your 6300 then they will; be about £10 ($15) on ebay, if you want a decent one, then look at about $100. and to install is pips. unscrew (one screw) old one and slot in new one and screw. infact that and ram are the easiest.

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

greensman..My experience with the SONY is that they do not Bitset. At least the one I have doesn't

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

icemen,

is the power light on your monitor green or orange?

6. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

rick go with sata optical drives

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Rick those are "real" NEC drives and therefore you can "find" f/w that will meet all your needs. lol. Honestly you can't buy a better drive atm .. you might find something equal but they are dang good for the money. You can get SATA or IDE as your needs see fit so get to ordering. lol. I'll teach you how to "flash" that baby to what you need and then you're off and running. :D

..gm

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

LMAO :)

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

If your going to take the time to post at least U could do is answer my Question their greaky. I just thought with all the seriousness, a little humor wouldn't hurt.
    SORRY CREAKY I just found out what LAMO MEANS

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2008
  11. creaky

No problem :)
    I would've answered if i knew anything about those drives, the only SATA burners i have are LG GSA-H66 models

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

creaky.. OK Well thanks anyway. Do the LGs do Bitsetting, as I'm not going to order anything that doesn't. I trust the opinions of all at AD, haven't been steered wrong yet. Just some times don't get a response to my Question, just like now. Thanks again appreciate.
    Got those drives on an invoice, just haven't approved yet. Wanna make sure they do, do bitsetting, or I'll order something else

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

14. creaky

My LG's bitset fine, but they're the only SATA drives i know anything about so can't comment on any others.. the other guys seem to have only good things to say about the SATA burners they've used, from what i remember..

edit- just did a quick google for the LG you just linked to -
    from here - http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/LG-GSA-H55LI-Super-Multi-DVD-Rewriter-with-SecurDisc-Technology (the 'LI' in that one denotes that the one they're reviewing is the Lightscribe variety of the same drive) however that's an IDE drive, i've looked back a couple pages and can't see why i started talking about SATA burners :(
    - i'm tired so my brain is mush. off to bed i go :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  15. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I like SATA, but the MOBO I'm ordering has 1 IDE connention,& 6 SATAs so I'M Ordering 1 of ea DVDRW + 500Gig Seagate IDE

16. creaky

OK, see the edit i just did to my last reply; i'll leave you with the less tired posters :)

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

rick5446,
    I wouldn't buy an IDE Hard drive if I were you. It's so much slower than the Satas! I personally would go with one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148288

500GB, 32MB Cache and 7200 rpm! It's about as good as Hard drives get!

shaffaaf,
    All I was saying is that rick had done his research and narrowed it down to 2 choices. His question was what should he choose between the two MBs he listed, both good solid high quality choices. He had already made up his mind that it would be one or the other, so why not just answer the question asked? Just like with rick in the first part of this post. I recommended different than he was planning on buying. Why? Because buying an IDE drive when you have 6 sata ports available is just plain foolish. The IDE is so much slower. If he had chose a sata, I wouldn't have said a word!

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

NOW be nice. lol. I've been busy all day with the kiddies, church, and now answering emails (forums) as they came in. :p

I'm absolutely sure they bitset!!! The Sony/NEC/Optiarc AD-7200 series. :)

Go here. link to f/w for AD-7200's

I'll post some "pix" later so show ya. ;)

....gm

19. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

This is kind of a random question but....

Do any of you ever get those "optional extended warranty plans" that newegg offers on its items?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2008
  20. greensman

greensman Regular member

I never have mrk44, I guess I live dangerously. ;) Most stuff has some sort of 'EGG' warranty and then the rest of it has a "manufacturer" warranty!! I've only used the "manufacturer" warranty ONCE. :D

Why are you asking?? Wanna cover your NEW goodie.... :D

....gm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.