1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I don't understand your logic. why not go with pc 8500? it will run at 1066mhz right out of the package for very little more money.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Also if you are looking to decide between the Q6600 and the Q9300, I would recommend the Q6600 if you plan on OCing.

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I would too not only for overclocking but also because the 6600 has 2 x 4M L2 cache where as the 9300 has 6M L2 cache. less money to boot.

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

HE SAID BOOT...boot scootin boogie.

man it like trying to keep up with the jones's in here..lol i want a quad so bad it hurts..lol

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    The G.Skill 800s, yes but the 1066s don't work that well!

Bad advice on getting PC-6400 instead of the 1066MHz PC-8500! While you can overclock 800MHz memory, there's no guarantee that they will overclock at all. My Dominators are presently running at 1060MHz and will run fine at 1066 on the 2.40 multiplier. The G.Skill 800s would barely hit 880-890MHz with the E6750's 8X multiplier. With the E4300 and it's higher 9X multiplier, the same memory would OC to 960MHz because of the lower fsb speed! I look at it this way. 1066MHz memory is guaranteed to run at 1066! If they don't, you have some recourse. The 800MHz are guaranteed to run at 800MHz! If they don't hit 900 or higher, too bad! Price is no longer an issue as the 1066 Dominators cost me $59 for 2 GB (2x1GB) and are pretty ideal for an 8X or 9X multi CPU! They are presently $49 with MIR!
    Why? Unless you have real poor case ventilation or are overclocking it to the absolute max, it's overkill! It's also one of the heaviest coolers on the market and has been known to damage some motherboards because the shear weight (720Gr without the fan) can buckle some motherboards!

I have a Doctor friend that's been running his Q6600 at 3.3GHz with the stock Intel cooler in a NZXT Lexa case, for about a year now. Just last week I put an AF7-Pro in it for him because the Intel's fan started making noise and It's all I had in stock. He's a gamer, and has no temperature issues at all. I was a bit surprised to see his temps are about the same as mine, as I've been led to believe differently when it comes to the Q6600!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

mrk44 I have the ODD that Sammy linked you too. ;) It's not the best burner of the bunch but it's not to bad. ;) I'd still go with the Sony/NEC/Optiarc AD-7200A/S and see how you like it. ;) I've burned a few so far and it seems pretty good but I'm gonna change f/w and give that a go.. a little birdie told me the 106(?) is a better f/w. :)

Rick if you can swing it the Q9450 is the cpu to go with. Even with an OC on the Q6600 I don't see how it can keep up with the extra cache and possibly a little OC on it too. :D

As far as RAM goes the 2x2GB is the way I would go, especially if you don't plan on a HIGH OC.... the 4x1GB wouldn't do you any more good either. ;) Brands.... who knows.... I would look at Mushkin, OCZ, and Corsair.. my opinion of course. :) I'd personally go with the DDR2 1066 stuff too, NEVER know when you'll need it. ;) And it's guaranteed to run at that speed, if it doesn't complain to the EGG or the manufacturer.... :D

The ACF7 Pro should do you just fine... NO serious OC's tho... I mean 30% plus.. If you're gonna look at that then a TRUE (Thermalright Ultra Extreme) is the way to go... there's some others out there that perform about as well, BUT that's about as good as it gets. :)

....gm

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I kept my Q6600 at 1.45v at 3.2ghz and my load temps reached the 60C mark with the Freezer 7 Pro at FULL speed. I don't know what kinds of place your doctor friend lives in but I live in Florida and the AC is on almost all the time.

I would recommend the Xigmatek HDT S1283 AS LONG AS YOU GET A BOLT THROUGH KIT FOR IT. The kit for the TRUE works fine for the Xigamtek.

8. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Can you send me a link of the Optiarc you use?? I can't seem to find the AD-7170 on newegg.

greensman: I was gonna go with the Optiarc before Sam recommended the LG. If I can find the one theonejrs is talking about, I can compare them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2008
  9. greensman

greensman Regular member

mrk44 the AD-7170 is NOT available any longer. Well not that I've found. It's a pretty good drive but the AD-7200 is better. :D

If you want something that is "cheap" and will last for a while and has the features you're wanting you might look at the Lite-On's. :D They build a pretty good product and they have all kinds of "after market" f/w available. ;) Something to consider..... link to liteon possiblities

....gm

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mrk44,
    No can do! The AD-7170 series has been replaced with the AD-7200 series and is no longer made. Each series has been better than the previous ones, so I would get an AD-7200 without much thought. Very good drives at a very reasonable price!

The Lite-Ons are pretty good, but traditionally they all seem to develop tray problems with opening and closing, sooner or later. Sometimes a new belt for the motor will fix it right up, but the tray gearing and guides are very poorly done and wear out far too easily. Good drives, but they need to improve their design a bit to eliminate those kind of problems! I replace a lot of Lite-Ons for that very reason. More than any other brand! Especially with HPs or Compaqs with their spring loaded case doors!

Russ

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Personally speaking Lite-ons are the loudest drives I have had. They work pretty well though and they are cheap. I heard the Pioneers are good. i was considering getting one. Is this true?

Off topic, but did any of you English people watch the Cricket match between England and the West Indies? It's a twenty twenty, but still some amazing stuff there.

12. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Well, I finally ordered all my parts! Except the GPU, which I will be getting employee discounted from EVGA.com

I went with the Optiarc AD-7200S SATA drive. I have a good feeling about it. Apparently it doesn't come with a SATA cable and power cable...so I'll need those. Anyone know where I can get some cheap ones???

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

14. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

greensman: Thanks for the links to the SATA cables. The ones at coolerguy.com are definately cheaper for the shipping ($5.99 at newegg for one cable??!?).

By the way, what kind of power cable would I need for that NEC Optiarc?? Do you know?? Or does it come with one??

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

You are welcome... ;)

Sorry omitted the power cable... you should get power from the psu.. which psu were you going with again?? Most (all) the newer psu's come with the proper power cable (SATA) for the SATA HDD's and ODD's. ;)

...gm

16. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Oh, okay so the PSU comes with the power cable. I got that corsair 650TX from buy.com for $79.99 that I found earlier. Should come with everything I need. Thanks.

One more thing: Which length SATA cable do you recommend? Does it depend on the case build itself?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008
  17. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

the PC shop told me there having major problems with the 1066 memory and suggested i use the 800 , is that going to be a problem when i OC my Q9450?

18. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Zoso
    What board & memory do you have?..

19. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (4 x 1GB) DDR2 800 memory. should i get the 1066 instead? like i said the PC shop is having problems with the 1066

ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard,

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  20. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@mrk44

i don't know what kinda case you have or comin with but here's a link to look up some Sata cables and much other stuff you might
    want..
    Sata Cable Link

@greensman

i gotta spread the news old cincyrob stepped up and adding another burner..Cincy's selection 20x Sata i think he trying to catch you greensman..lol..i gonna get another one later hav'en decided yet on which 1..but..i know it gonna be 20x old uncle benq 1655 is hanging in there and still burning well..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.