1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herrick

herrick Regular member

2. forumcrew

forumcrew Regular member

3. herrick

herrick Regular member

I am not sure if this is the right thread, but some time back I got a link to a program called Pixel buddy and it worked good on two new monitors I just recieved- the problem in one of them there is a dead pixel and it is very small it does not show up in all the colors.

My question I have lost another link someone at AD had post about a program that can fix the problem but it took a long time...has anyone heard of such a program? I do not have the money to send them back...an I really need the monitors at this point in time-

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  5. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

@herrick
    thnx for the link of the case...but its mid tower not full and i dont want power supply with it...

@forumcrew
    this case is nice...but its mid tower...and thnx for the link...

the reason why i dont want mid is that i'm gonna buy Enermax Galaxy 1000w that PSU is long mid-tower wont be able to fit...or maybe i should buy other PSU that fits it?...

6. forumcrew

forumcrew Regular member

you might be able to fit it in that antec case. It is a rather large case and the PSU goes in the bottom. 1000W you really need something that extensive? thats massive.

7. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

well not really...my rig needs bout 680w...and i was gonna buy a 850w...instead of saying 850w is said to u guys i'm gonna buy 1000w...just to make sure theres space for the PSU...is beta to hav more space than having little space...u know wat i mean...

8. herrick

herrick Regular member

@marsey99

I have that pixel buddy what I am looking for and someone mentioned here at AD a software that will deal w/ a dead pixel thank for your help anyways any other suggestions?

9. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

sorry dude, thats the only app i have seen with that name.

10. herrick

herrick Regular member

Well I tell ya... It was a pain in the butt- and I am not impressed w/ this AC freezer 64 PRO [or mybe I did something wrong] at first it drop from a normal of 35 to 30 but now its back to 35 where my stock CPU fan had it at... I have heard people getting 27 whats the big deal... someone mentioned speed fan program to change the speed, but you would think that big O thing would be better then my stock fan out of the box and its not- really bummed? O now its at 36 and my stock never was there... wonder what it will be in an hour sense its only been turned on for 15 min.

11. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

GTR35 Take a look at the Xion mid tower case it's longer than my Raidmax full tower case my X Connect in the raidmax sets 4" fromthe back of the drive wheras the Xion has 8' to the back of the drive. I paid $ 70.00 for the Xion and sold the 450 watt power supply for $25.00 that came with it. Chris

Edit heres a link for that case http://www.microcenter.com/byos/byos_single_product_results.phtml?product_id=206398

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  12. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@chris
    not my cup of tea, but i can see why people might like it.

@herrick
    what type of thermal paste did you use? silver based is the best. this is a good guide for fitting cpu heatsink fans.

13. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

@ChrisC586

thnx...that case looks awesome...

14. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

I'm not a gamer but I've got 3 sata hard drives and the cables come straight to the mobo.Have 3 burners and a Sunbeamtech fan controller w/io op ports and a floppy and zip drive. Also the door opens to the right. I added 1 fan to the case on the back side of the mobo running 3800 dual core w/stock fan case temp never goes over 31 cel and cpu has never gone over 33 cel.All the wiring tucks nice so as not to prevent air flow.Nice wide roomy case. Chris

15. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

sata cable make a big difference as the old flat ide ones could block alot of air flow. so does the way the harddrive rack is mounted.

16. herrick

herrick Regular member

After running my machine for about 35-40 min [last night]. and the CPU idel at 0-3 with a temp of a solid 30 I copied a DVD and the read had a top CPU uasage was 11% and the top temp was 34... the write had a 5-7 usage with temp at 32

This morning it is at 32 and machine has been on about 20 min. with very little usage... I need to do my wiring better but its the same as it was with the stock AMD fan.

I used the thermal pad the came with the fan??? Hmmmm??? I did notice in that link you gave a break in period.

Time will tell [found some note and my temp was with the stock around 35, but still you would think a better drop then this

17. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

the lower the temp the beta...sometimes on hot days...i open my case to cool it down but doesnt make a big difference so i use a fan and blow it in my case and guess wat that works...

18. herrick

herrick Regular member

I do the same but its DEC. and I live in washington off the bay! My point is keeping in mind I need to redue my wiring- is there should be a differance in temp. from my stock fan no matter what any other conditions are. I am thinking and have to check maybe something is not maching correcting on the base [ I read on a net review that the clips can be off and there was a 4 degree defferance]. AND of coause the stock themral pad may not be cutting it and have to try some of that silver past...I dont know was really wanting to get below 30 derees- still have not down loaded speed fan yet, just wanted things lower before I started tweeking with the thing

19. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

dude, ditch the pad. mine is an evo33, it also came with a zink based pad on, i tried it and it knocked about 5/6c (at high speed)off what the stock amd one was running (about the same at low, all be it alot quieter) i swapped the pad for some silver based paste and it took another 7c off.

mine is adjustable, so at full speed (4.3k rpm) high noise i run 26/27c idle to 31c max and at low speed(2k rpm) i get 31c idle to 38c max. by max i mean after a night of folding@home. on stock speeds, and hsf,i used to hit 44c after folding all night

now this is with a overclocked and overvolted cpu in a room temp that averages about 24c.

anyway im rammbling, clean that junk off the bottom of your heatssink and apply some silver based paste. this kit has everything you will need, i know its uk based but you will find somwhere near you that has the same thing and the link above will guide you thru it.

edit

looking for a new mouse? one of these might trap you :)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  20. herrick

herrick Regular member

What is folding at home?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.