1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

RedRob,

you didn't quite finish your list. where you gonna stick that cpu, memory, gpu and cpu hs? you're missing one very vital piece of hardware. it's called a motherboard ;)

on a side note, I think LOCO should change his username to STICKY or STINKY would work too ;)

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    ROFLMAO!! It's there! Right next to the words next build at the end of the top line. See it, Mobo! LOL!!

Gotcha!
    Russ

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I must be blind. it's late ;) well in my defense, it isn't in the same row as all the other hardware :)

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I was digging through a box of parts I bought a few monts ago and came across this strange device.
    [​IMG]
    I was just curious if anyone had ever seen something like this before. According to the minimal amount I could find on the net, it's an IDE to Sata converter. I know Asus used to sell something like this but I've never seen one. I'm assuming that you plug it in to an IDE port and plug a Sata drive into it. Any ideas?

Russ

5. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@theonejrs
    Weren't the earliest SATA H/D...IDE drives with a IDE to SATA adapter...the Maxtors...and Western Digitals?..

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol how this thread moves in an evening...

With regard to removing thermal paste, I use Arcticlean, Akasa TIM, or if neither of those are around, Window & Glass cleaner. A lint-free cloth or hell, just a bit of tissue paper seems to get the job done admirably.

As for the IDE to SATA converter, I imagine that's what it is, I've seen converters before, but not ones that look like that!

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

LP, IMO the PSU is the most important part of a rig, i always build around that.

and i really cant be bothered to rant about it again LOL, but IMO (In MY Opinion) the money saved on RAM, which you wont notice the difference, as you paid for extra speed, which you wont use, vs the extra graphical power of moveing from a 8800GS to a 4850, which you will notice.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol an 8800GS to HD4850 you certainly would notice, but that's 50 quid - I hardly think any step down in RAM would save you that much, unless you were eying up DDR3...

I'm on Shaff's side here, if you don't need 800mhz memory, don't buy the ruddy stuff. For my purposes, my E4300 and a Q6600 when I eventually buy one will both be limited to 3.6Ghz by 800mhz RAM. I have no intention of clocking either of those above that speed, because of the voltages required for a and probably b, and because of the heat generated for b.
    If I had a E6300, I would probably want PC8500, but as it stands, I don't.

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

OCZ 2GB DDR3 PC3-10666C7 1333MHz Platinum (2x1GB) Dual Channel DDR3

£82.24 inc VAT

they have been falling

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wow, fair does. Still not thirty quid though eh?

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

no but then it aint 800MHZ RAM either :)

the problem is with that ram, is that really 1600mhz ram is the standard, as that is 400MMHZ effective. 1333 is just to low.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    The CPU should be your first consideration, followed by the MB and then the memory! You can go cheap anywhere else you like and still have a great computer. You can't do it without a good CPU, motherboard and memory! These three items are most important as they are the foundation of the computer. You can use a inexpensive drives, mouse and keyboard and still have a great performing computer because the computer will have it where it needs it the most.

Most people I've ever known, myself included, decide what CPU they want to use first, then search for a good compatible motherboard and good memory. Hell, you don't even need to think about the PSU until you've decided what you want to build. You buy a PSU to suit the need, created by what you decided to build, not the other way around!

I've built more computers than you have owned shoes in your life and it's always been the same. Decide on what CPU first, MB second and memory third. The power supply doesn't come into play until you get all the parts chosen, so you can figure out how much wattage you will need. I mean, you can start with a high dollar 1000w PSU and build a great computer, but how much money did you waste on total overkill? You need to know how much power you will need first or you'll just waste your money on power you can't use!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You're on the right lines Russ, but I think a little lacking in emphasis on how crucial getting a quality PSU really is - you won't know how big a PSU you need until you get the other components, but you make it sound like any old unit will do the job - you of all people know that's not the case!

I probably sit in the PSU hot seat, as while I probably make the most emphasis on doing the power supply right as anyone, I'm also the most stubborn on not wasting money on overpowered units. It's depressing to see single GPU systems of any caliber running kilowatt PSUs...

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i didnt say that i wouldnt choose the CPU first.

the way i go is CPU>mobo>RAM>GFX>HDD>optical>Cooling>case>PSU

BUT i still regard the PSU most important

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I always find cooling & case being mentioned separately strange, given how important the case is for cooling a PC...

17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i meant CPU cooler and thermal paste etc

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

yeah, I know...

Sorry for showing off and all, but I thought some of you might find this picture quite funny...

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/7074/s5000539at8.jpg

Yeah I know the chest is manky - came with the student house, so I may as well make use of it..

Note that my main PC was running while taking this picture (no drives missing).
    Man, I've spent too much on storage lately.
    See signature for more details. Cast list from left to right:
    Pegasus, Atlantis, Isis, Xanthis, Mirage, Spectrum, Aurora, Aquarius, Hedron, Candela

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Sam, I think you have the largest storage treasure of the WORLD.

People will try to find the lost student house chest in 200 years.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

lol three terabytes of storage will be pittance in even a dozen years, let alone 200!

In other, less happy news:

First BSOD on my new XP install...
    [​IMG]

:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.