1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I would like yo to do something for me. Do you have a spare 120mm fan? If not just disregard this post. Hopefully your computer side cover is accessible.

Turn the computer off, remove the case cover and plug in the fan. Stand the fan upright on the desk and turn on the computer. While the fan is running, gently lift it off the desk by the top corners. Do you feel all the vibration and shake it has? That's why rubber mounts suck!

I just did the same thing with 3 different fans and each of them vibrate and shake the minute you lift them off the desk! That's why I bolt mine down firmly with the screws that usually come with most fans, without rubber washers or those silly little silicone mounts. They just don't work worth a damn! Try it, you'll see!

Russ

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I'm still on a road trip, so no desktops for me!

But the Freezer 7 pro uses rubber fan mounts and it gets the Job done.

My point is that this cooler cools almost as well as a TRUE while including a BETTER fan mounting system and comes with a fan for almost half the price. The fan isn't that noisy and does push a decent amount of air.

3. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Are temps of 39-40C okay with a stock cooler? That's what my BIOS says....

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah that seems about right considering it's a quad core. I think it's just a LITTLE bit higher on the Q6600.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Very true, but it was designed that way from the biginning. You can hold the fan in your hand and it runs smoothly. The majority of plastic fans buzz and vibrate the minute you lift it off of something solid. I tried a Cooler Master, Thermaltake and a Sunon, and all exhibit the same thing! Try it some time when you get back home. The results will surprise you.

I discovered this quite by accident when my computer developed an odd noise about a week after I installed my Silverstone 80mm in the side cover. I usually try not to tighten down the screws too much for fear of breaking one of the corners off the fan. Anyway, I removed the fan and used the rubber washers that came with it and re-installed the fan. I turned it on while holding the cover and noticed some vibration right away. I shut it down and removed the washers and screwed it down tight and the vibration went away. I've tried the desk trick with many fans since then and all exhibit the same trait! They all start to vibrate the minute you pick them up!

Russ

6. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

REALLY??! Wow, I thought it was supposed to be much lower. Guess I'm okay for now, until I get that damn Xigmatek to work right. I think I was using too much arctic 5....

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well it's on the higher range of normal. Nothing to worry about though. Once you get your xigmetek things then apply THIN lines of the stuff on the heatpipes.

8. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

May Satan KILL and RAPE the man who came up with the push pins at Xigmatek. May he burn in hell for all of eternity and never see the light of day. After all that crap I just went through, my hands came out of my case bloody, torn, bruised (yes, bruised), and beaten. I couldn't even see what the hell was going on in there. Once I get that retention bracket, I will see to it that those push pins screwed into my heatsink are DESTROYED.

By the way, has anyone ever bought and used a Corsair TX650W PSU? Those wires are ridiculously thick. My current PC's NZXT PSU wires are nowhere near the thickness of the Corsair's.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2008
  9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

My hands were bleeding too! I have that PSU, and yeah the wires are thick. They are nicely bundled though. Cable management isn't THAT hard.

10. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

I made the mistake of taking off that huge zipper thing that came wrapped around ALL the wires and breaking it, instead of just pulling out the wires I need. Now all the extra wires and jumbled around my case....if I don't use the super tiny zippers that came with it.

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well use the cable ties to tidy up. I comes with a lot of them.

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Cheers, good idea, i have zero interest in GFX cards so that'll save me a lot of skim-reading in this thread :p

13. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@theonejrs

re aranged the 590 case of mind wiring that is try'in to make it look alittle better inside..i was so glad when.. i got the case.. i just thru it together real fast to get it runnin,, did'nt care how the wiring looked now it's pretty neat..ok i said what the heck let me bump the old 6750 up a notch from 3.5ghz to 3.6ghz it's hold'in stable.. i got orthos runnin to test now temps at stress is 59c and it's layed back at 36c idle when it was 3.5ghz idle 34c and 57c stressed but verys depending on room temp..Pics to prove below..Thanks for all the help with this build and the rest of you guys also you all have giving me great ideas..when it comes to these computers..now i gotta change my sig to 3.6ghz now more editing to do..lol

Cpu-z
    Memory
    orthos
    temp
    everest oc'd %
    everest temps & volts

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2008
  14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

bigwill68,
    Looks very good Will. Do you have Sandra so we can see some benchmarks? Mainly CPU Math and Memory bandwidth. That will tell a lot about the performance. Lucky you with the 800MHz memory at 900MHz. Mine just wouldn't hit that speed with the 800MHz.

Nice to have a fast machine, isn't it? LOL!!

Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Out of interest, how is the fan mounted to the Xigmatek compared to the Ultra-120? It's difficult to see from the pictures...

MrK: The wires are thick on all Corsair PSUs, that's just how they are, but tbh they're better quality power supplies than NZXT. I like their cases, but I don't trust their PSUs that much.
    Got a Lexa case, bought a non-modular PSU?
    Check this out:
    [​IMG]

Not my handiwork, sadly.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To All,
    We need to change the name of this thread to The (new) Official Intel PC building thread since no one here seems know enough about AMDs to answer the simple question regarding the choice of a MB for the 3600+ AM2 Sempron I posted! Funny though, some around here have no problem bad-mouthing AMD any chance they get, yet don't seem to have enough experience or knowledge to offer a suggestion for a decent MB. If I was a newbie asking for information on an AMD AM2 CPU, you all would probably tell them what a piece of crap it is and try to convince them that they really need a C2D, yet they don't seem to know anything about them. Then again it's only a lowly Sempron so I have to assume that it's not worthy of a reply! Bunch of damn Front-Runners! LOL!!

Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

well, my apologies Russ, but I shot straight from 939 to 775, as pretty much everyone did. The benchmarks of the AM2 duals at least seemed pretty on par with 939s. The only advice I can offer on the mobo is along the same lines as everything else - if you're going to go Asus, don't go cheap! The M2N-SLI Deluxe I encountered at my LAN when someone asked me how to overclock their CPU had an utterly useless BIOS, barely an overclocking feature to be found, and they were scattered throughout different sections!

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

if you're serious myself or Loco could do that, don't see a problem with it.
    My only AMD experience is with the proverbial Athlon 2800XP that's still going strong as one of my kids' pc's, and the Turion ML30 64-bit that is my main laptop. Both run far hotter than i'd like which is partly why i went back to the Intel camp when it was time for a new monster pc..ie hence why my main machine is the Q6600 :)

edit- oh and i did buy the kids an AMD X2 4200 or whatever it's called, for their use at home; as a foray into AMD's first Dual Core offerings i found it to be a capable machine for them, but was lacking enough for me to go the Q6600 for myself shortly afterwards.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I wasn't meaning you, believe me! It's just that we've had so much negative opinion to do with AMD ever since the C2Ds came along that I find it funny some people profess to know enough about them to tell everyone what pieces of $hit they are, yet they don't have enough knowledge to give me a simple opinion as to an inexpensive MB choice for one!

I don't plan on overclocking it I just don't want to waste a perfectly good CPU that cost me nothing. I can't sell it, but I can sell an inexpensive computer and make a decent buck doing it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.