1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh - their credit, click on the page and they explain:
    Even so, that fan will be pushing 21dB in silent mode, not 16.5.

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thats what i seen on his screen shot of everest, with his temps

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You say he's using a Rampage? He might have the load line balance on like Marty has.

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

sam would you mind giving pics of the motherboard side of the case?

5. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I'm waiting til after my birthday so I can include a monitor if I get one (yeah right, it'll be there). :p

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

edit: misunderstanding.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

that is incedible and helps to explain the low temps. is it stable there? any screenshots of OCCT? my cpu isn't near that OC friendly. I had it at 1.35v but had to bump it to 1.36v for stability reasons. my temps are fine but I just don't want to up the vcore anymore.

I just about ordered a Q9450 from microcenter for $299.99 until I found out they charge sales tax. turns out I can get it from newegg for just a couple dollars more. I'm gonna hold of a bit yet. I'll probably pull the trigger when it gets down to $319 + free shipping.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

For once a price that's about on par with ours. The Q9450s are typically £205+delivery. Add UK VAT to the egg's price for the chip and you get £195.

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

the only thing i seen that he showed me was a screen shot of everest. showing his temps at idle and load. and the vcore along with the rest of his volts ect... i dont know if its photoshoped or what. i can only go buy what he/some tells me is the truth. i figure if ya have to lie about something on the internet you got problems....lol

Mort
    i got a buddy over at microcenter i can see if he can get me a discount on the Q9450....lol

10. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Hey Russ for a cheap little toss around board for 50.00 theASUS M2V-Mx board works well with that AM2 processor.
    Mort your link isn't working for me.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've seen a PC with the M2V-MX in it. It's a very bare basic board, but I suppose it'll get the job done.

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

You make me giggle Sammy. :p I don't think they claim it will be that quiet at full tilt. ;) L@@K at the link to CM Y720DCD

btw I own that fan and if you stay below 1800rpm or so it's very tolerable. ;) NOW at full tilt LIKE any other fan that pushes that much air it's gonna be LOUD!!! :p

....gm

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

1800rpm on a 9 blade 120mm fan.. Your tolerable differs greatly to mine lol!

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Rob,

I'm not doubting you ole buddy. I know the 8400 is capable of 4.3ghz but that is with the vcore raised considerably. I can get 4.2ghz out of my E3110 but I would need to raise the vcore higher than I am willing to go. mine is stable at 4.0ghz and that's where I run it daily. there's a big difference between reaching a big OC and doing it to where it is stable. non of this is pointed at you. you've already proven yours to be stable at 4.0.

cool. let me know.

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

You gotta remember that we don't all have the same setup that you do. ;) Mine is in the living room with the cooler going, the tv on, the kiddies driving me nuts, and normally 2 ceiling fans running as well. LOL. You can't hardly get a fan to turn fast enough to get thru all the "ambient" noise in the room... hehehe. :p

RedRob I know this isn't the OC thread but you might consider loosening the timings on your RAM to get a little more OC. :) Just a thought... maybe somewhere around 5-5-5-15 to 5-6-6-18.... see what that does for you. :) You got a good un tho... :D LUCKY BUGGER!!!

......gm

16. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Yes it is a very basic board but it takes a good amount of abuse. I put together a lot of comps for seniors with little or no money. So the cheaper the better, they can surf ,burn a movie or Cd and load up pictures and make their cards.I'm one of those bad AMD boys thats got to bite the bullet and go into foreign territory with the next build being Intel. LOL I'm waitin for that red guy and Mort to finish up then I'll jump with my parts picked out right the first time! theonejrs Happy Belated Birthday is there a fix for the Lite ons with their bad ejecting trays?

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Chris,

which of my links don't work? I'll try n do a fixer job on it.

18. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

19. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

I don't know if anyone can answer this....but when I play videos in Media player, it continuously glitches nonstop UNTIL I put it in fullscreen. In fullscreen mode it plays normal...
    Anybody know why? I currently have a nVidia 6200 because I'm still waiting for my 8800GTS to be shipped from my cousin from nVidia.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ChrisC586,
    I was hunting around and found this MB.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138111
    I've used a quite a few BioStars for customer builds and only had one bad one and it was DOA. A GForce-6100-M9! There's only 10 reviews at Newegg, but all were very positive, all were bought from Newegg and the price is right. The 6150 graphics are excellent compared to the 6100, which weren't bad either. I just want a "body" I can sell! LOL!!

Thanks for the BD wishes. As far as the Lite-On trays go, it's not all of them, but I have replaced a good number of them because the tray wouldn't open. I had one about a month ago that the woman that owned it had to push the button while using a paper clip to open it. The one on my stand-alone DVD player when it's closed, doesn't want to open and when it's open, it doesn't want to close. The problem is the gears are worn very badly, as the plastic track seems too soft. Mainly the problem is the drive gear, even though it's wide enough doesn't engage the track gear completely so only about half the track is covered by the gear. That's compounded by the amount of side play in the track which cocks the tray when you open and close it. Lots of them you can see the tray move to the left when you open it and to the right when closing. This has the effect of the gears not meshing squarely, so they wear out quicker. I may have a source for the tray and drive gear in the not too distant future. I have a company in Mexico that does repairs and sells refurbished DVD and CD drives and I sell them all my old used drives, about 12 a month the last few months. I'll let you know if I can get the parts.

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.