1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Russ Old Buddy Here's your Results of the test..I took with Sandra..sorry it took so long to..i don't know how far..I can push e6750..I would like to get alease 3.8 out if..I can but..I know that will take some 1066 memory..I'll just hold at 3.6ghz for now

ps..sorry i was late teacher with my test..lol

Cpu Math

MB

memorylatencyon

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2008
  2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

you guys ever use everest benchmarks? different versions can give different results. I have everest ultimate edition version 4.50.1330. I like the latency benchy better than sandra.

memory read. higher is better:

[​IMG]

memory latency. lower is better:

[​IMG]

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's funny you should mention that - when I was lending someone some spare PC parts at my LA party, another guy who turned up with a problem with his PC (S-ATA controller I think) was in there, and came in once to find my DVD drive attached to his PC - 'why are you using my CD drive?" I asked - "mine doesn't open" he said - and sure enough, it's a Lite-On.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5340/memoryreadlb8.jpg

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/5810/memorylatencycm2.jpg

Not bad for 700mhz memory... lol

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

bigwill68,
    I don't know about 3.8 with that chip. You can hurt them pushing too far. I know, mine's wounded but I'm going to have to RMA the CPU because I did something stupid. I got power hungry and let it go to my head. I sincerely wish I had never even heard of 4.0 for a CPU, especially the E6750 CPUs. Look at what happened to Rob and all the time he lost! If it was me I would be very uncomfortable with his temps. His core temps are alarming to me to say the least. Especially when I see other people with cores 15C cooler at the same performance level. Then again, not all CPUs are created equal. Some will perform better than others, some will perform worse. It's the luck of the draw!

I planned my overclock with the same chip as you for 3.6GHz! I know that if I hadn't gotten greedy and cranked that baby up to 4.0. I would be happily sitting at 3.6GHz right now. Now, the CPU will not run any faster than 3.525GHz safely. I can run it at 3.55, but it has some issues at that speed. Every once in a while while encoding, the computer just resets. Heat is not the issue, there's just something wrong with the CPU. It requires more voltage to reach the same speeds than it used to before I kicked it up to 4.9! At first I thought it was the memory so I got the good 1066 memory, but even if I underclock the memory, the speed cap remains the same. It will run at 3.6 but has the same flaky issues regardless of anything you do with the settings. The voltage requirements for 3.6GHz have gone up from 1.22v, all the way up to 1.47v. I already know it's not the memory and it isn't the MB, so there's got to be something wrong with the CPU, and it's getting worse very slowly. The CPU also won't run stable in my friends Striker at 3.6, no matter what adjustments you make and the voltage requirements remain just as high. The memory runs fine at 1066 and passes memtest at that speed without issue.

When I do RMA the CPU I won't even think of trying to get it to 4.0. I'm mildly surprised that Rob did it with his after all the problems he had. I personally think he is hearing voices! LOL!! For me I just want it to run at 3.6GHz. That will give me an 1800MHz fsb, my memory will run slightly overclocked at 1080MHz on the 2.40 multiplier and I'll be very happy! I've learned my lesson!

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wise words indeed.
    Thought for the day:
    "Just because you can doesn't mean you should"

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    That should be followed by "Don't get greedy, the bite you take might just be out of yourself"!

Sam my friend, could you use the Direct link when you post benches and things like that. I can't read a word of it as the print is just so tiny. The direct link will allow everyone regardless of resolution to be able to read it. I realize it doesn't jump out and impress people that way, but I'm not impressed at all right now because I can't read the print. It's the difference in our screen resolution vs screen size.

Thanks,
    Russ

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

No idea. I have an £18 Nvidia 6200LE in the Quad monster machine as i didn't need anything clever, it works fine here. I don't use Media Player (if you mean the bloated Media Player) but i just tried it and it doesn't glitch for me. I use the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack for all my viewing but don't know what could be causing your glitches. For video drivers i think i just used the CD that came in the box with the card.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What sort of glitches are these? I've had my fair share of issues with WMP, so maybe it's one I might recognise?

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

sam,

how did you manage to get DDR2 700 and 5-5-5-16. you got your memory underclocked that much and the timings loosened too. aren't you using a X38 mobo?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Like I said, I'm on auto right now. The RAM's 700mhz(2.0x) because I don't recall 850 (2.4x) working out that great for me last time. As for the latencies, I honestly had no idea they were still set to CAS5, to be honest my PC has run so well with everything set to auto - all I do upon a BIOS reset is enable overclocking and change the FSB to 350, let the board do the rest... This must be pain to your ears... :p

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

na not in the least. that takes all the fun out of it. I could do that too but on auto my mobo overvolts some things more than they need to be.

with your X38 mobo, you should have 4 different straps, A, B, C and D (for gigabyte). you should be able to get your memory frequency a lot closer to its rated speed and as long as it's at or under it's rated speed (even a little over) there is no reason why you should have to loosen up your timings. my corsair XMS DDR2 800 memory would go to a little over 900mhz before I had to up the voltage any over spec, let alone loosen the timings.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

hmm fair enough - I'll try setting my multi to 2.4x and see what happens.

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

check the other fsb straps too. all straps except 1 should give you 3 different multipliers to choose from. the remaining strap should give you 2 multipliers. thats a total of 11 different memory frequency choices/settings.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

currently it's on 2.00D, I know that much.

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

which strap?

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think that's 1600...

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    That's odd! On mine in the setup on the right hand side it lists 667, 800, 1066 and 1333 for the boot straps as you go through the various memory speeds. I don't see any A, B, C or D at all.

I totally understand Sams Auto settings. After having all the problems with the P5N-E, before it died, I guess he didn't want to hear about the "labor pains", he just wanted to see the "baby"! LOL!!

Russ

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

you'll have to read up in your manual. Gigabyte uses A, B, C and D for the different straps and I can't remember what each one is. one is 200, one is 266, one is 333 and one is 400. mine just gives you choices of 200, 266, 333 or 400. no letters. then you should have the different choices of memory multipliers for each strap. mine gives me different memory frequencies to choose from for each strap.

yours should basically be the same except you will have to do the math for each strap and multiplier. mine does it for me.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be fair, I wouldn't say it was that much more complex with the P5N-E apart from setting voltages, it was just it only worked a third of the time!
    Russ, perhaps you don't see the letters because you're still on P35, not X38?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.