1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

im just wondering if this would be a good mother board to start with i havnt built a computer before so im new to this.
    Intel BOXDP965LTCK LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121035

i want the intel core 2 duo e6400 processor so i thought an intel board would be the most compatible
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115004

i dont need this for anything special so would this be a good video card for just everyday use?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121019

this is the link to the message that i have all the other parts i have picked for this computer
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/493508

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

@HRJustin,
    I think for $9 more you can get a little better card that will run all of the stuff you want to run plus more. :) Try the this link for the ASUS 7100GS

I don't know enough about the intel boards or chipsets to give you something to think about. Seems like a good board and excepts an intel C2D processor. :)

bbmayo made a good point but I would want to upgrade the psu as soon as possible. I haven't dealt with a bad psu but the one I had before the present 520W was a little underpowered for what I was trying to run. I was (and still am) new to building puter's but with the help of a few nice and patient AD Members here I was able to overcome some of my problems. :)

Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable will offer their helping hand to you. ;-)

....gm

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

if planning on OC'ing, I would go with a different mobo and also consider some DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) memory.

4. foxdie

foxdie Member

hello fellas
    Im a noob when it comes to building PCs. I wanted to build a PC rather than spending $400 on a dell then upgrading all of it's parts.

All I want to be able to do is backup dvd's and my xbox 360 discs. I also want a video card that will display video on a LCD HDTV monitor. I do not play PC games, but I want to watch movies and movie trailers in HD.

I already have 2 optical drives, the first one is a Samsung SH0D162c ide/ata interface and the second a Pioneer DVR-710 DL burner. I also have logitech Z-5500 speakers. I wish to use SATA interface for my HDD, but I can find one on slickdeals.net.

I need help with the motherboard, AMD processor, video card, case, psu, and anything else you can think of.

5. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

wow thats really close to what my post was and what u use ur computer for. im not so worried about HD and i am really new to setting up everything. i like searching newegg for the hardware because there are so many people that have reviews on most of the items there

6. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

@HRJustin and foxdie

I recently built an HTPC with all pretty low end gear. All of which was stuff I had laying around or purchased for the price. I have yet to fully test it's HD playback capability but, it seems pretty fast all around. I'll keep you posted with my results, but more importantly here is what I ended up with:

Silverstone LC-11 HTPC case
    ECS P4M800-M ver.2
    Celeron D 3.2GHz (Cedar Mill Core)
    1GB DDR-400
    Seagate SATA-2 160GB HDD 8MB buffer
    Sapphire Radeon x1600PRO (AGP)

This is a secondary system that I have built for the sole purpose of what you two are planning on doing.

Keep in mind that the video card that you select may limit your HD playback, because of HDCP(HD Copy Protection) requirements. I ended up with a Radeon x1600 one because I had it, but also because it meets the HDCP requirements.

Oh yeah, you don't need to buy an Intel board for better compatibility.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  7. foxdie

foxdie Member

thanks for the adivce. Since my previous post I looked at some hardware.

Case: Antec NSK4400 (built in PSU) $63
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8013357&st=antec&type=product&id=1156203596970

Graphics Card: BFG 3DFuzion GeForce 7300 GS 256MB DDR2 PCI Express $70
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7727365&st=bfg&lp=7&type=product&cp=1&id=1140391860712

HDD Seagate 160 SATA drive

pioneer DL Burner

I dont know what ram, motherboard or processor to get...

I could get decent prices on the Antec 900 hundred case and ATi Readeon X1650 Pro PCI Express or X1950 Pro 256MB PCI Express, but I dont game, and they would go to waste. I really need advice on mobo's and processors for either setup.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  8. redice

redice Regular member

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

remove what you can by scrapeing it off with the edge of a credit card and then clean off the rest with some alcohol and a soft lint free rag.

10. redice

redice Regular member

@Mort81

i was thinking about just trying to wipe it off because it looks like it not even hard yet. its just sticky.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

you need to remove all the old thermal compound completely and any residue. you don't even want any oil from your fingers to be present. both surfaces (cpu and hsf) must be absolutely clean and oil free.

12. redice

redice Regular member

ok thanks Mort81 will do

13. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

@ foxdie

The 7300GS is definitely a way better card than what you previously had, but for the $70 price I would spring for the EVGA 7300GT, it features 4 more pixel pipelines and a wider memory band, 128bit on the GT vs 64bit on the GS.

Also I noticed that you're links are from BBuy, is this where you plan to buy from? I would suggest newegg as you can often get prices well below what BBuy can sell for. Especially when they have OEM versions avail.

As for the Antec case(s) the NSK line are all pretty nice, I was looking into them as well when building, as I wanted a decent PSU that comes with the case. In any case check out Antec's own site for their B-stock stuff. They are customer DOA's repaired, or may have slight blemishes, but the prices are far cheaper, well that is as long as you don't mind.

As you plan to backup many things, you may consider getting a larger HDD especially if you start storing HD trailers and such on the drive. You can keep the Seagate 160GB on there...very slim drive to help reduce airflow restriction, but consider getting a 300GB on top of that. So the smaller will be for OS and programs, while the larger will provide storage space for videos/music. If you are close to a Fry's you can usually get the 160GB for under $50 and the 300GB for $80 (just look for the sales)

CPU:

Ath. 64X2 Windsor (65W) 4600+ 90nm part
    $119
    or
    Ath. 64x2 Brisbane (65W) 4400+ 65nm part $115

Mem:
    2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 $153

Not to sure about motherboard...still looking into it.

14. redice

redice Regular member

ok guys/girls i was just getting ready to put in my order for all of the following parts when i noticed that the hipper 580w psu is out of stock. so now i need another good psu that will work with my build. i would like the psu to have the same watts and be in the same price range. unless you all can find another psu with more power for the same price.

case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119116
    motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186059
    video card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130075 ( had to change because i need the blue Connector because thats what the montitor has that is being used)
    psu
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817128002
    Arctic Silver 5
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16835100007

and heres the parts that i have already laying around
    monitor
    keyboard
    mouse
    1 gb of ddr 400 (3200)
    amd 3200+
    WD 320gb harddrive
    dvd-rom drive
    dvd-rw drive

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

redice,

here is where I got my hiper type r. only a few dollars more. On the video card, most of them come with a DVI to VGA adaptor anyway. nice case.

16. redice

redice Regular member

ok thanks Mort81

which shipping did you choose and about how many days did it take you to get it? also does that site charge tax? can you recommend a second choice for a good psu from newegg because i was trying to save on shipping by ordering all the parts at once and from the same site?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

redice,

some folks don't like Xoxide but I didn't have any problems with them although that is the only thing I have ever ordered from them. They didn't charge me sales tax (depends on where you live). I chose std shipping and it seemed like it took about 5 days to arrive (if my memory serves me right). I'm not much of a psu guru but corsair makes some good psu's. I really like my hiper and have no complaints.

18. redice

redice Regular member

ok thanks Mort81 i will look into the other psu. i have also email newegg to see when they will get more in.

19. redice

redice Regular member

Mort81

is that just plain old rubbing alcohol or is it a special kind?

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

Just the regular stuff. No special additives. I'm not Mort81 but that's what he'll say. :)

...gm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.