1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh I see. Hmm, Give a cheap PCI network card a try then perhaps? I don't know, I've had severe networking issues in the past, but they were caused by a hack for windows genuine advantage, not hardware.

2. icemen

icemen Regular member

no beeping sounds just the sound of the fan like it's booting up

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not implied unfortunately.

Have you reseated the RAM?

4. icemen

icemen Regular member

yes, still no joy

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

LOCOENG,
    I've had that problem twice now. The first time the Idiot repairman put a line trap across the lines to eliminate radio interference! Slowed it to a crawl! I went out and removed it and it worked fine. I also tightened the connections in the box on the side of the house and the radio interference went completely away! A few months ago we suddenly were getting about a 4th of the bandwidth and the performance really stunk! They actually sent a repairman that knew what he was doing and replaced the whole down lead! Just a hair below 3Mbps now! The repairman said that someone broke the gasket on the box on the pole and it was all wet and corroded inside. He replaced the box as well! Been working great ever since!

The giveaway is the drop in DSL performance when the phone rings. Our's would kick you off line when the phone rang! I doubt very much if it's the lan! Here's a speed checker to try and see what your line is doing. Test it with and without the phone connected!
    http://www.auditmypc.com/internet-speed-test.asp

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

T3? Are you sure? T3 is pretty high bandwidth...

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I'm sorry, I meant 3Mbps! 2961Kbps to be exact which is just a hair (39 kbps) slower than twice the speed of a T1 line! Sorry about that! My wireless is the same speed too (108 Super G)!

Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah makes sense. T3 is absurdly fast. Back at my parents house I have a sync rate of 5472 down, 544 up. Latency to local websites is around 6ms. In York however, the sync rate is about 1500/700, and the ping to a local server will be around 20 - that's interleaving for you...

9. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I'll try that speed checker when I get home Russ, thanks for the link. I've often wondered if there is something wrong between my house and the box because the phone does have some static from time to time especially after a good rain. The onsite reps usually hook up a tester right at the PC, and of course all is well when they are there, and call it a day.

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

To me 45bucks is 45bucks. That's quite a savings with a little more bang for your needs

Corsair TX 650W ATX12V Power Supply - CMPSU-650TX
    List Price: $121.45
    Our Price: $94.99
    Price After Rebate(s): $74.99
    Shipping: FREE
    Buy.com Total Price: $74.99
    http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-tx-650w-atx12v-power-supply/q/loc/101/206178324.html
    I know for a fact with a little patients U can tuck your none used wires in a neat and orderly fashion up around your PSU or even some times I've seen behind the MOBO, with removable tray
    I can't speak for any one else hear, but for me with past expediences, AMPs are probably more important to me over Watts. Of course I know you need higher WATTs for higher AMPs. Higher AMPs help protect in case of Higher Draws or Strains by other Components at times
    You can get your 520 here at one helluva of a savings also
    http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-520w-sli-certified-modular-atx-power-supply/q/loc/101/203270716.html
    Buy.com Total Price: $84.99

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2008
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

icemen: You could have a faulty motherboard then. How old is the PC, is any of it still under warranty?

12. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

ok a quick update guys (posting from a different PC)

the vendor send the ASUS Striker II Formula instead of the ASUS RAMPAGE. Problems with the PC8500/1066 memory won't run stable (two different 4 gig sets didn't work). tryed the PC6400/800 and it flys. getting the optical drives,power supply and videocard in today should have it back early next week!! the Q9450 so far is working out very well! see you all soon with the new system

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's a disastrous substitution to make - I hope you make a pain of yourself and get the proper board!

14. icemen

icemen Regular member

it's about four year old, nah it's got no warranty, is it nackerd then?

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Not necessarily but you probably have a hardware failure somewhere, probably as a result of overheating. To find the cause you could use another rig to test your original graphics card, then your memory, processor and motherboard. It is probably one of those although I somewhat doubt it's your board since it's still sending power to the fans. If you're not that experienced with working inside your rig then you might want to look for someone who is or take to a service location and have it diagnosed, tut that costs money.

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

sam, the powerconsumption

[​IMG]

and once again just becuase a system draws 300W does nto mean you just go get any 400W PSU. no. the GPU/CPU both draw from the 12V lines, where as the 5 and 3 are for the ODDs HDDs etc. most of the cheap PSUs have ALOT of power coming from those 3 and 5 rails, and not much from the 12V rail. just saying my system draws X lets get X + 100W for cover and upgradeability doesnt work.

next, i dont know who said your mad for xfireing 3870s ont he HX520, as the HX520 can take a heavily OCed Qcore and SLI 8800GTXs. thats no problem for it.

now as i write that, it mayseem i am two faced (or better word choice) but i want a PSU which has 4 8pin PCIE connectors so i dont need to get convertors, and i know the TT toughtpower 750W does, and its modular, but this is a very quiet PSU, brilliantly built, has an un parralleled efficieny and can help with whole case cooling with the fan attachment.

and (remember i am saying this all from my point, trying to justify MY pending purchase to you) i wont just be taking a Q6600 to 3 GHz, i will be getting an x48, and tryign to clock the nuts off it. i also plan to dabble in Watercooling for nahlem. i am not saying for eveyone to go out and splash more cash on a PSU then a CPU, but I will seeing as I will keep for a godo 3-5 years.

i have in my head, a rough idea of te next couple of years what i want to do with my rig. yes components are hard to predict, but im pretty sure seing as there wont be a 32nm proccess till 2010 power will increace with the new amd 10.5k chips and intel chips.

and Sophocles my respect for you had grown immensly. thank you for gracing us with your presence (this is no joke).

oh and get used to me and sam havign these debates, it happens quite often hehe, how can i go a month on AD w.o have one with sam, or watching mort have one with sam :p HAHA

17. icemen

icemen Regular member

i think one of my little ones offed it from the mains when it was shutting down & then this happened

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

ZoSo,

did you order the mobo or did they? if they did, I would insist they get the one you requested. so it will take a few more days. I would be a very unhappy camper. I'm afraid you're gonna run into problems when you go to OC. the problems you're having with DDR2 1066 memory should tell you something already. don't settle for something you don't want or didn't order. you wouldn't do that with anything else would you?

is the builder aware that sometimes you need to initially boot with one stick of memory and then add the other stick/s after innitial boot up (especially with large modules or if usiing all 4 slots).

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

An interesting result. The 250W TDP of the GTX280 is obviously bull - perhaps there's hope for the card yet.
    The toughpower doesn't actually have four 6-pins, it's only got 3. Only the Corsair TX750 and Modu82 625W of the popular PSUs here have it, so the Darkpower's a decent choice. It's better than the Enermax, if not as quiet.

All joking aside shaff, I don't want to hear mention of the recent 'debate' with Mort again. We would both like it behind us.

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

fair enough sam, ill respect your wishes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.