1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foxdie

foxdie Member

thanks for the response. I was gonna buy the video card from BB because I can get an employee discount, or I can their employee accomdations to buy direct from certain manufactures. I want a motherboard and processor that will handle a basic video card that does HD output using DVI, but I want the mobo and processor to be able to handle next gen Video cards as well. I came across this article on engadget.com about next gen cards offering HDMI outputs. Thats what I would like to upgrade to. I know upgrading to a next gen card with HDMI will be extreme overkill(since I wont game), but im willing to spend more on a "higher end?" mobo and processor now, if thats what it takes to upgrade to these next gen Video cards in the future. I also saw a great deal for the Antec P180 Case online. Im leaning towards that Case and a 430w PSU? is 430 enough? Definitely going with a large HDD, but will having two provide any benefit of speed over having a single larger HDD?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

redice,

use high-purity isopropyl alcohol. follow these instructions according to whatever cpu you have.

3. redice

redice Regular member

ok thanks Mort81

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks for the link Mort81. Bookmarked for future use.

@redice,
    He was little more technical than I was but what (alcohol) you need can be found at Wally-World or the grocery store. :)

.....gm

5. redice

redice Regular member

@ greensman

ok thanks

6. crowy

crowy Guest

Acetone also works well.

Make sure it is just acetone,(available at hardware stores)not the nail polish remover kind as that usually has additives.

7. redice

redice Regular member

ok thanks crowy

8. tomygntom

tomygntom Member

hey this is a budget bangish for buck setup i put together

case and mobo: Shuttle SK22G2 SE http://au.shuttle.com/Product/Barebone/SK22G2.asp

cpu:AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, dual core,
    ram: 2 x 1gig dual channel cheap, Proly kingston value, ram
    dvd: cheap dvdrw
    hd: 160 gig dont know if sata or pata , seagate or western digi
    gcard: GeForce 7900 GS 256MB, PCI Express

i want to use this for gaming but dont care too much about really good graphics but fairly decent fps. also does any one know of a good/cheap tv tuner card that has satilite input and rca output that i could put in

im think im fairly happy with most of the parts except maybe the case/ mobo/psu thing,any one know a better case/mobo/psu combo that costs about the same as this one($400NZ,dont know how much US$) oh and it has to be one of those little cubey kinda ones. and a tv tuner card

any sugestions or help would be greeate (sorry about grama and shit)

9. billybob

billybob Regular member

Hey im in the process of my first build.

I know what parts i need to get, but hooking it all up and all those complicated looking cables? no way!

Ahaha. So yeh, do you think you guys could help a building noob out :D

*flutters eyelashes* :p

Id be greatful :D

10. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Course il be here for a few mins give me your questions and il answer them as best i can :)

11. billybob

billybob Regular member

Thanks mate :D

Well, my processors due to arrive today, then the other parts should be coming in a week or 2.

So ill post all questions and things then ! :D

I just read that link that Mort81 posted about some artic silver thing for your processor. Im now scared....it seems alot more complicated lol, i dont have a clue what thats about.

12. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Okkay...

All i can say is your bloody lucky you read that! Without that stuff the processor would have just burnt out. Arctic silver is thermal grease. This is needed to make sure optimum heat transfer from your CPU to Heatsink. Therefore order some should be about £5. Then before you attach the heatsink to the CPU make sure you make a SMOOTH LAYER. of arctic silver over the cpu. Then press down with the heatsink.

Hope that helps!!

Ooo and out of intrest whats your set up gonna be? Like to hear new set ups gives me that lovely sense of jealousy!

Any more questions just ask!!

13. billybob

billybob Regular member

erm.

AMD athlon 64 x2 4200+ 2.2ghz. : http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/111290/rb/26585992414

i THINK this is the motherboard im gonna get:
    Asrock ALIVENF6G-DVI Skt AM2 Nvidia NF6100-430 onboard 256MB shared VGA 8 channel audio mATX
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=119409

Got my cool casecom case. :D

Then im planning on a 75gb raptor drive for my C: drive.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/122533/rb/27120855842
    (that is what is referred to as a raptor drive right???..im a noob, i know :p)

Then probably 2 250gb SATA drives (EVENTUALLY!!)

Something like this: http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/120303/rb/27120881733

And RAM? I havent decided yet, i love this building game, its full of suprised lol!

Im about to say something thats gonna make you hit me. I didnt even know what a heatsink was or anything until you just told me....but i just googled it. Will it come with my procesor?

Ahahaha. *lecsiy puts brass knuckles on*

14. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

billybob,
    as you're buying a retail version of the CPU, you'll get a heatsink and fan supplied with it, that will already have heatsink compound on it, just remove the protective cover and put it on the cpu/board as shown in the guide supplied with the CPU.

15. billybob

billybob Regular member

When you say it will already have a heatsink compound on/with it...does that mean its already got that artic grease thing on it aswell?

16. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Ok :) Nah i love helping!

Heatsink as im sure youve found out is to stop your cpu blasting into flames. Now by quick looks at that processor doesnt look like you bought the one with the official heatsink which is good in my opinion. It leave the options open to get a much better heatsink than the standard crappy one which comes with the processor.

So id reccomend probably:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/101471

Thats a great little heatsink! And very well known to be great value!
    Also with something like that your much more likely to get a good overclock!!

Anyway will help with ram problem in a few hours bit pushed for time atm!!

See ya
    Lecsiy

17. billybob

billybob Regular member

Okkkk

So it will or will not come with a fan and heatsink lol?

If not, ill buy that one that lecsiy reccomended. And even if it does, if its possible to change...ill still buy it lol.

Now. Sorry for being slow to catch on....but from what ive gathered, the heatsink is.... some foil thing that goes over the processor? Thats from a google. And i need to get some of that grease and rub it onto the processor UNDER the foil?

Ahh my poor noobish brain lol. Any help/further information is appreciated :D

18. billybob

billybob Regular member

Oopsie daisie that heatsinks out of stock...

19. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

This is the description from the link you posted a few commet ago:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Socket AM2 Dual Core (2.2GHz) 512kb L2 Cache AM2 Retail Boxed Processor

Retail units have heatsinks included (like I said).

Its not going to be fantastic compared to after market coolers, but whilst you are getting the thing running and even to a certain level of OC'ing it will perform perfectly well.

That just leaves you with the choice to get another cooler, not the necessity to get one.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  20. billybob

billybob Regular member

Thank you very much BigDK :D

Now, as you said the retail processor comes with the heatsink..will i still need to put that thermal grease on it?

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.