1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

See that's what I heard as well, but that being the case, why do you hardly hear of any faults with BFG and XFX cards compared to other brands? They're certainly just as popular...

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

tbh i dont hear much faults of ANY of the cards. they all have the same chance of failing.

i guess its jsut that EVGA abd BFG have such a good RMA procces that im sure others are more outspoken about the smaller compaines (not like pailt is small, its probably the biggest, and nvidias favourite aswell, they own quite a few compaines such as gainward and galaxy and sparkle)

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The ones I hear of the most issues with are EVGA and Leadtek...
    <shrugs>

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's certainly something to consider, though before shelling out the extra you might want to think about how much you'd need a second card. Certainly if you don't game that much you might want to give it a miss. Don't underestimate just how powerful the new cards are though, especially when put in dual configurations.

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well the X48 motherboard is ONLY 15 dollars more. I heard that P45 suffered from immature BIOSes.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Surely that's a board by board thing? Soph has posted excellent results with his P5Q, and he knows his salt, as it were.

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah it's a board by board thing. I haven't seen sophs performance, but if he did get excellent results then I guess the Asus doesn't have those problems. Man doesn't it seem like I'm talking out of my ass sometimes? :)

Man, I still wish I could afford a Rampage Formula. This one guy was selling a DFI LP LT X48-T2R brand new for 220 bucks shipped on overclock.net. Considering it's around 280 on newegg it's a pretty good deal.

9. Xevlys

Xevlys Regular member

yay more options! lol...

Ok, thanks for suggestions, lookin good. Confused a little bit though.

Zoso recommended a Asus Rampage board which also says X48 on it from zipzoomfly which costs about $280 and abuzar recommended A gigabyte X48 from newegg for about $225. Ok, i get that, prices are easy, what i dont understand is why the Asus is so much more expensive. Looking at the specifications listed on each link i can only gather a couple of things, which dont add up to the Asus being 55$ more imo...

What i can tell is the Asus has 8 SATA ports and the GB has 6. Also, the Asus supports 1 floppy drive and the GB none as well as 12 USB ports while the GB has 8. In my opinion even that alone isnt enough to merit an extra $55, but to top it all off... the GB has built in LAN listed as well as 2 onboard USB ports (which i dont know what theyre for but theyre there...), and an onboard 1394a (dunno what this is for either...) So am i missing something really obvious or what? because the rest of it looks the same to me... so confused....

Also, the Asus says CPU type is socket 775 and GB says LGA 775 is there a difference?

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Asus boards are generally more expensive. The Asus will have a more advanced BIOS, and more fine tuning options. I assume the Asus would have better quality but dont take my word on that. Also the Asus has better cooling.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    You do if you want the results otherwise it looks like someone spilled the red and blue ink as there's only spots with no graph!
    I don't know where you got that information from, but it isn't correct! I've been to XFX, and they make their own, as does GigaByte and Asus. I think Foxconn may make some of the cheaper ones! As far as Favorites go, XFX has always been top dog with nVidia. They even used to build nVidia's reference boards! They may still! You almost never see an nVidia add (unless it's for a manufacturer's promotion) without seeing something new from XFX. My guess is that nVidia owns a pretty good interest in XFX!

abuzar1,
    Yes! :)

sammorris,
    It's one and the same as the one I use now. In fact it's available from the same URL! Just scroll down the page! LOL!!
    On that MB you didn't have to be concerned by the idiot factor! There were very few that had anything nice to say about the Striker Extreme II! The only ones that didn't complain were ones that were not overclocked. Eventually it may turn out to be a good MB though!

Mort81,
    I'll have to go back and look as I didn't see that! LOL!!

Hope I didn't leave anybody out,
    Russ

12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i have read alot of articles stating palit are the top dog for nvidia, cant remember wehre though, and when i say the cards are made by foxcon, i am talkgin abotut he reference cards, which are then shipped out to these manufactureres and a sticker is then slapped on.

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

I would generally agree fellas but you (boozer, shaf, and little sammy) have this tendency to go on about this and that with GPU's. If you're gonna give some info (not pages and pages) about this card or that card by all means be my guest. I like to learn too!!

BUT the aforementioned trio go on amongst your selves almost "hijacking" the thread. Just my observations and concerns. ;) Think about it with an open mind fellas and remember you have a thread dedicated to GPU's. :)

All in an effort to stay on focus... nothing malicious or combative here!!! :D

@theone,
    I understand your position on the AMD front but it seems that Intel is kicking the CRAP out of AMD right now. :D I looked at AMD before I built both of my Intel systems and it just seemed ludicrous to think about an AMD system atm... NOT even now can they keep up with Intel. I'd love to try one but can anyone really justify the "money" for something that isn't quite up to par with par being the efforts established by INTEL????? Just thinking out loud really but legitimate questions me thinks. :)

...gm

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Theone is right. Surely the clue would be in the PCB colour? Asus' cards for example are often black PCBs, and Foxconn don't make them black. Reference design cards are often the cheaper brands, and curiously enough they seem to go wrong more often...

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

mort

Sorry didn't know that my links were being blocked. I used hounds because it's easier than going to image shack but I guess that's not going to work so I guess image shack it is.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wow, that's a pretty savage upload speed. Cable?

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

No, Fiber Optics and not even one of the faster packages.

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

WOW, what's that cost you a month? I'm impressed.

that does it, I'm calling AT&T to upgrade to the elite. that's the best I can do without going to cable which I refuse to do since Cox Communications suck. hopefully my DL speed will be half what yours is.

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The monthly fee for the basic package is $29.95.

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

nice. no way I could get that here where I live (Kansas). we're lucky to have running water and electricity.

the AT&T DSL elite will cost $35 mo and of course you've got to have they're phone service. it'll be about $80 mo for everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.