1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

@icemen

Due to the age of your PC there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information about it. I did find a forum for Medion that you have to sign up for, you may find some specs on it here ~ http://www.medionsupport.com/phpbb2/

2. icemen

icemen Regular member

if I want to change my PC's power supply, is it juts a matter of swapping it over? will it matter if the curent supply is 350v & I put a 400v in ?

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's watts, not volts. It shouldn't matter, but you want to be using a quality unit, or you'll only make things worse. If you're using a crap brand PSU like Okia, Rosewill etc. then don't install it, get a proper unit like a Corsair.

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

OK... finally gave up on the "work" computer and I'm looking at doing a proper update.. well as much as I can with about $300!!!

I've picked some "parts" already...

cpu E2180

HDD Seagate 250

NOW the deciding comes in.... lol

mobo choices

RAM choices #1

RAM choices #2

I know that I've picked a lot to peruse thru and I did that on purpose. I like a few of the different mobos and if going with ON BOARD video it makes the update CHEAPER but NOT a loss. This is a work computer and only needs to email, run spread sheets, do some graphics but NOTHING demanding, and maybe burn a few discs. ;)

I have looked at this deal and it's NOT out of the loop yet. linky to Compaq <<<this deal was $299 in store... if memory serves. lol.

.....gm

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    Actually your choices should be fairly obvious. I would go with the DS3L for the MB as it's a known performer that's highly rated, and overclocks well if you choose to do that. I would go with the Corsair Dominators, although I would get the 1066 memory instead! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145043 Newegg is out right now, but it shouldn't be out for long! It will be cheaper and you can play with the multiplier to get it close to 1066, so the memory bandwidth and performance will be better for no additional money! makes sense to me!

As far as the Compaq goes, I sure as hell wouldn't put one in the work environment! They are cheap crap, built with the bare minimum everything! Junk!!

Russ

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  6. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    I'm telling you I work on these things all the time, both HP and Compaq and "THEY ARE JUNK"! WalMart Specials! Some come with as little as 128MB of Ram with Vista Home Premium installed (how's that for a joke?). I've converted a bunch of them lately to XP-Pro and every one I've seen so far have been garbage! I have an HP, less than a year old here right now that I've just converted to XP-Pro and I wouldn't even want it for a backup computer! The power supply is a Bestec 350 watt piece of junk. I even have another HP here that's also less than a year old and it only has a 250 watt Bestec! I repeat, with all due respect, "They are Junk"!

Russ

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

My 5 year old compaq is still running strong. IMHO, the quality isn't that bad. The fact is if you dont upgrade them or anything, they just work fine.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    With all due respect, I am talking about an entirely different breed of computer here! The newer ones are unbelievably cheap! I had one here a couple of weeks ago that didn't even have a case fan, just a duct from the CPU cooler to the power supply intake! They are designed to compete with Gateway and eMachines, and range in price from $199 to $299 at WalMart! The older Compaqs may have been slow, but they were much better quality!

Russ

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yes, I suppose that's true. My B, My B. lol

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Wait till you hear this. Last saturday someone brought me a PSU out of some kind of Compaq (he didn't know the model but it is a computer)! 100 watt BesTec! I'm dying to see what the heck can run on 100 watts! I really hope he brings it by! LOL!! He said that he bought a new PSU, but it's too big to fit. This PSU is very narrow front to rear and there's just no room for something larger! Can't wait to see how much Compaq charges for a replacement! ROFLMAO!!

Russ

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

100W :O

most CPUs have a tpd of about 65Ws. thats half of it, not to mention mobo, GPU hdds Odds etc. lol

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

My 5 year one has a 150W Hipro.

Celeron D
    one optical drive
    one HDD
    one Card reader
    Built in 845 intel graphics

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

let me first say. im sorry to have stepped on anyone's toes here. i did not mean to. i know i dont know as much about the computer world as everyone else here, but im learning. i can only speak from what i have seen,done,tried. i dont want no arguements over anything ihave said that might have been wrong,might have been write. its done and over with. once again im sorry if i stepped on anyones toes.

its been fun.

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

Russ as much as I appreciate your input.. lol. I think you are forgetting one important "fact".... It's a work computer and I'm not doing anything with it that requires "excessive" or "high performance" components. ;)

I can see going with the P35-DS3L but I would have to buy a gpu. BUT the Dominators seem like extreme overkill!!! I would buy those and stick them in my machine before I ever put them in a WORK computer. ROFL!!!!

I'll continue to look and I can't wait for more input. :)

@RedRob,

What the heck is this....
    Did your computer send out a glitch or something?? Anyway try again and lemme looky at what you tried to post. :D

....gm

17. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

abuzar: I know you have that Xigmatek cooler so, I wanted to ask: Did you put in the spoiler and how the hell do you put it in? It's just hanging there, loose, and I keep worrying it's gonna fall off. I don't even know if I installed it correctly.
    One more thing: Do you know where I can find instructions for installing with the bolt thru kit? After weeks of waiting, they finally sent me one free from Xigmatek, but it came with no instructions, so I'm clueless.

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Mrk44, it was a customers build(so I cant look at it right now), so I cant give you detailed instructions, but here is how I did it.

I took that spoiler, and put the middle part OVER a fin, and put the two outer parts, UNDER that same fin. Does that make any sense? If not I'll try to elaborate.

About the bolt through kit. You have to unscrew the Intel Push pins from the cooler, and screw in the similar looking objects that come with the kit. Then you have to take out your motherboard and place the X plate and align it up with the CPU cooler holes on the BOTTOM of your motherboard. Be careful, because it's very stick when you take off the film from the X plate thing. After that it's pretty simple. They are spring loaded screws. Just attach the cooler on the top of your motherboard, and I BELIEVE all you have to do is screw it in.

The instructions are similar to these.

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu/u120a/installation_cpu_cooler_u120a.html#775

NOTE: I have never personally installed the bolt through kit on the Xigmatek. Just going off what I see.

19. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

OOOOOHHHH!!!! I understand the spoiler thing now. And the instructions seem pretty simple. Thanks!!! I can finally cool down my CPU and overclock. My temps were close to 40C with stock cooler. And after I installed my 8800GTS it just got hotter, along with my system temps (43C)....

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I see those all the time at work. I repair them by the scores. On one campus we had almost 600 of the damn things. HP/Compaq builds them and so does Dell. The HP's have an intake fan at the front right of the case that is also part of the heat sink that cools the CPU, and because it is a front intake the rest exhausts out the back. These aren't enthusiasts computers, they're meant for office use. They're not necessarily unreliable for that purpose, but I figure a few weeks with RB will put one in its grave.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.