1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That's true, they do what they are intended to do. I haven't dealt with any recent prebuilt computers(I only build PCs, no repair. Hmm... maybe I should start), but the older ones will go on in a office environment for years and then they will just be trashed. All people do is MS Office, and web browsing anyway.

MRK44, No problem man. Glad it's working out. Post your temps.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol lower end Asus motherboard, AND open box. I think some people wont trust that AT ALL Mort.

Just trying to get a poll here, how many of you guys ever used the GA-P965-DS3? Before all the L and P nonsense came about? GREAT board.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    One of the all time best motherboards I ever owned! A legend in it's own right! It saved GigaByte from going under! Following it with the DS3 L through R series didn't hurt either. Probably one of the very best of the 965P motherboards ever made! I know that both Tom's and Anandtech have shown it's result for comparison to newer and more advanced chipsets, and it's always been in the top end of performance. I know in the P35 shoot-out someone had a while back, they used it to compare the 965P to the P35 and it it finished 2nd overall out of 9 motherboards! The P35-DQ6 was the overall winner, with the 965P-DS3 second!

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

Yeah, I know YOU have one. Your sig is the same as the box!

I loved mine, and I got it for a VERY low 65 dollars, and this was BEFORE the P35 chipset came out. Took my E6400 to 3.5Ghz STABLE.

6. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

I finally installed the xigmamtek cooler, and my CPU temp dropped from 40C to ~30-34C. How much higher do you guys think it will get if I OC to 3.0GHz?? Only problem I still have is my system temp is about 45-46C...ouch. I guess my 8800GTS runs a bit hot. I think I'll need to get a case fan for the bottom of the case. Any suggestions??

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  7. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

my question is that the side panel fan 120mm a intake or exhaust on your case? if not an intake i would switch it to 1..before..i try to crank up the cpu..heat rises if you get a bottom case fan make it an intake also...my hot air blow out the back and the top but my case is different..mine is 3,,120mm intakes side and front and 3,,,120mm exhaust two top and 1 back your temp on the cpu should be 34c to 36c after you Oc it,, mine jumped from 31c to 34c at idle but also verys by room temp also what you suck in from outside the case so keep that in mind..

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

bigwill68,
    Just to let you know, side intakes don't always work too well. Sometimes since not all sockets are in the same exact place, they interfere with the air from the CPU fan to the cooler! It also depends on the CFM of the fan and where the fan is located on the side!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Russ Wrote=[/quote]
    Just to let you know, side intakes don't always work too well. Sometimes since not all sockets are in the same exact place, they interfere with the air from the CPU fan to the cooler! It also depends on the CFM of the fan and where the fan is located on the side!

Best Regards,
    Russ[/quote]

---------------------------------------------------------------------

That maybe true Russ in some sense..one of my 120mm side panel fans is blowing directly on my Cooler Master RR-CCH-L9U1-GP 92mm Hyper TX2 CPU Cooler..but keep in mind all coolers do collect dust from time to time and that holds heat also so good to blow them out from time to time to keep things flowing right..i feel if you wanna do a Oc you need to have good venlation and enough fans..i learned that from that clear case,,i had from 52c in the clear case to 34c in the 590 cooler master at idle..I'm planning a winter build but it will be water cooled project this time..

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Onboard video is more than sufficient if a computer is used for just 'office' use. The only reason to buy even a cheapy video card for an office use pc is if the onboard video can't deliver the relevant resolution and refresh rate for whichever monitor it's intended to be
    hooked up to.

As to old Compaq's, i've used them for many years at work (from P2's, P3 500's up to P4 2.66's). (end-user computers for our entire company are Compaq as standard). All sturdy enough for years of constant office use. A bit slow running Office 2003 etc but excellent for Linux, in fact my two work Linux machines are P4 2.4's, they outperform any of our P4 2.4's/2.66's by miles (which are running Windows XP). My 3rd work pc is a HP P4 2.66 (i think these were some of the first Compaq machines from when HP took over Compaq) running XP and Office 2003. (Guess which PC rarely gets used out of those 3 - yup, the slow Windows XP machine) :)

These Compaq's/HP's have small power supplies but more than adequate for years of office use.
    I can't speak for newer Compaq's (ie now branded HP) as most of us in IT are still using P4's.
    Anyways, it's always nice to go home and use modern kit, ie my Dual Core Dell's or the Quad Core beast, after spending all day using old (but almost up to the job) kit.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Abuzar: Compaq have changed, a lot. If you saw the quality of the old ones vs the new ones, you'd agree with theone.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

creaky,
    The quality was always there with the old ones, even though the speed never was, and you couldn't overclock them except through software (UGH!)

Like I said I see a lot of the new ones here because it's an "Economically Depressed Area"! Translation: A whole bunch of lazy people who don't want to work, that choose to live in the County Seat, because the Welfare office is right downtown, as are all the Aid to Dependent Children and Food Stamp offices! Anyway they buy these things and then a lot of them find their way to me to convert them from Vista Home Premium to XP-Pro. I sell a lot of video cards because most of their on-board graphics are no good for just about any of the popular games, regardless of the CPU. They certainly don't have the solid Compaq quality of old!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

WTF!!!!!!!!!!

now your lazy and dont want to work or support your kids and take from welfare if you buy a HP/Compaq computer?

i find that as a insult of all insults my HP system was given to me for a birthday present from a man (my father-n-law) that works his ass off and has never asked for any kind of help.

most people that buy the factory built computers arent looking to OC them, 90% of the time i doubt the people that buy them dont know a thing about computers other than how to turn them on and use the software the use on a daily basis.

As is why i/we have the HP system. i didnt plan on doing anything to my HP system and havent other than adding some burners and a stick of memory.it has never given me a BSOD shut down reboot or anything. I'd say they are a great learning tool. once i found out about a better system and got the urge to build my own. i learned what the HP system couldnt do cause of its limitations and took that into building my rig now. no i havent built hundreds of computer and dont intend to but that doesnt mean im worthless piece of shit cause i own/have a HP system. i think that is ludicrous to even say something like that.

no need to reply,comment or other wise, i wont be around to see it or respond im off to collect welfare and quit my job.

im done here.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What the deuce?
    Where did this come from?

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'm still using one socketed with an E6600 overclocked to 3.4 GHz. Donald and I both bought one at almost the same time when we formed a folding team, and both of us had good luck with it. For the money it is or was since it is no longer being sold, a really decent board.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There's a 965P-DS3 handmedown still going strong at my LAN, it ran an E6600@3.2 fine for a year and a half before it was replaced with my P35C-DS3R and another DS3R, now running at 3.6. The 965 board and original 6600 are now in another guy's PC.

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

this is going back a bit but one of the all time great mobo's has to be the asus P4P800 SE. I no longer have one as I sold it to my brother but it is still going strong. the mobo cost about $100.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah yes those were the days, back when you could spend as little as $100 on a motherboard without a care in the world...

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    I sincerely hope you are pulling my leg, otherwise I would feel terrible about the tears pouring out of my eyes from laughing so hard! ROFLMSOAO!

Thanks, I needed that,
    Russ

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

LOL. Although my wife now has it I still have one of those too with a 2.8 GHz P4 Northwood in it overclocked to 3.2 GHz.

Just to save me some time, I also have a P5P800 SE with a D945 overclocked to 3.74 GHz, an A8N32 SLI deluxe with an Opteron 170 overclocked to 2.6 GHz, an A8N32 SLI premium with an Opteron 175 overclocked to 2.5 GHz, a P5W DH Deluxe with an E6700 overclocked to 3.6 GHz, and an A7N8X deluxe with an XP2500 plus in it not overclocke d and on lone to a buddy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.