1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Geez guys, chillax.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

abuzar

No worries, I'm finished making a point that should be obvious to anyone with experience.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  3. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I know you are done Soph, but knowing Sam he will have something else to add. Please fellas, take it to a PM if necessary...otherwise stick to the thread.

@theone & the rest

More than likely Rob won't return and it's because of all this "nitpicking" nonsense that is an everyday occurance in this thread and site wide. I know there are a few teenagers posting here, but I consider you all grownups so lets start acting like it eh? I'm tired of seeing every other post turn into a pissing contest.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've nothing more to add. I don't agree with what Sophocles has written, but there's nothing else to say really.

5. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

LOCOENG Wrote=[/quote]
    I know you are done Soph, but knowing Sam he will have something else to add. Please fellas, take it to a PM if necessary...otherwise stick to the thread.

@theone & the rest

More than likely Rob won't return and it's because of all this "nitpicking" nonsense that is an everyday occurance in this thread and site wide. I know there are a few teenagers posting here, but I consider you all grownups so lets start acting like it eh? I'm tired of seeing every other post turn into a pissing contest.[/quote]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    man it seems everybody is getting into for some reason and stepping on each others feets..i thought we was here to help each other and give good advice if we have questions.certains should'en be typed but kept to yourself..we all built are computers the way we want them to perform and to look that's are choice and are money and also personal feelings about certain parts but the over all thing is there just computers that we put together with are hands we like computers for different reason to video games,burning,web, whatever they have one thing in commen they have a on and off switch..let me tell you i know Rob.i've been knowing him for 8 years now let him cool down and he will be back when things seem better here..i can say this ..i have learned alot here on afterdawn and found myself buying good quality parts that..i did'nt know nothing about in the past and thanks to the one's that helped me on that..

lets try gett alone and stop stepping on feet..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

bigwill, i've talked to rob & sorted it out with him.he is going to take it easy for a while in posting till he is ready. he thought my brief suspension last night was because of you & i told no as it concerned somebody else. i have no problems with you or anybody else here as long as they follow the same rules as i have to. i think the summer time is when tempers flare as it was this time last year things went done the tubes for a while with some members who unforunately are no longer here for this or that. remember that we are all here to teach others our knowledge & learn from others their knowledge which includes us mods both teaching & learning. there might be a storm approaching in the distant time that has nothing to do with members so just stay under cover when it happens.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

ddp,

that's not very nice to leave us in the dark like that ;)

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It should be pretty obvious... lol they're both excellent boards. The Rampage has miles better features and is a 'better' board, but for a normal PC build, there's nothing wrong with the Ep35-DS3R and it's a much better choice for a normal PC build.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

nothing to do with brands but you're comparing apples to oranges, P35 chipset vs X48 chipset.

11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

mort, what you don't know won't hurt you in this case.

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Mort81.. Could U be a little more elaborate, as I can tell the difference in an apple and an orange ( incidentally I like both Apples & Oranges). But not MOBO, I'm a nob. I just want the best 4 my Grandson, in about $1,200.00 range
    I'm gonna use
    CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I was going to ask about this, but decided against it. I don't think it's my place. I'll find out soon enough I expect.

14. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

run with the rampage rick..it's an Apple..naw both boards fine but ramage is an high end board for that price but if you got an limit of $1,200....i would run with the gigabyte and spend little more on the cpu like the Q9450.. have you decided on the case your goin to put it in yet and cooling? shot for $1.200.00 dollar you could built a decent system with a good match up of parts

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

rick5446

I think Mort was referring to the difference in board levels, and price. The Gigabyte board is a very decent board and will probably do just fine, however the Rampage is getting a little toward the high end. Comparing a highend $289 board (The Rampage) to a $119 board is quite a stretch because most will go for the $289 board. Both very are good boards but one is a lot more expensive the other.

Are you going to be adding two or just one graphics card?

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

the X48 (which is basically just a better binned X38) is the later chipset of the two and therefor utilzes the latest technology and features. that's one reason why it costs more.

the rampage formula is a better board but isn't necessary for somebody who just wants a good reliable pc. it is an enthusiasts mobo and great for overclocking. loaded with features.

a bettter mobo to compare it to would be this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128331 in which case I would still choose the rampage formula primarily because I like asus's bios's better. but then again I'm an OC'er.

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

bigwill68..No haven't found a case yet, but I definitely want one with a removable MOBO tray, 4 external bays, 4 internal, lots of cooling. I've got an Xion Hydralic Front, I've been sittin on. But I can use another one
    Thanks everybody I'll go with the Asus.
    Also with the Corsair TX650W PSU, its got a 5yr Warranty, @ buy.com
    Price After Rebate(s): $74.99

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I'm not a very happy camper. I upgraded my DSL from pro to the ELITE and my speed is not any faster. I know they changed it cause I got a recorded message from AT&T this morning verifying the upgrade.

I called AT&T and the rep told me it could take up to 10 or more days for the speed to increase. I think she just fed me a line of BS.

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rick,

I'm not questioning your decision (I luv my rampage formula) but something to consider: you could go with a less expensive mobo, the gigabyte you mentioned or an asus P5Q Deluxe like what Soph just bought and put the money saved into the muscle of the system. a better/faster cpu, a Q6700 or Q9450 for example.

20. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

funny mort i had my eye on that mobo Gigabyte X48T-dq6 for next build at the end of the year..the board performs quite well under some benchmark tests it gave the Evga eforce 790i ultra board a good run in the gamming tests it's more tweak friendly..I must Admit Asus is first in line for the overclockers..but the Gigabyte not far behind..in some tests

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.