1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

IMO now the P45s are out i wont condier P35s, and even the normal P5Q overclocking brilliantly, staying stable, and ASUS kicking but in the lower parts, and if you are not going dual card, then get that.

its cheap OCs well and is a brilliant board.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

bigwill68

Both are great overclocker brands. I also considered both because of that reason alone. Like mort I prefer Asus' bios layouts better but for quality neither can be faulted. In the end I went with neither and chose the P5Q Deluxe with the X45 chipset, and it was exactly what I wanted. Especially since boards with the X58 chipset for Nehalem could be released this month.

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Mort81..Thanks I'll keep that in mind, as mostly I D/L & encode,recode Video, on the net 24-7, my computer is never turned off
    Well then which is the better apple
    ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA ATX Intel Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 ATX Intel Motherboard
    I'm kinda swaying to the GIGABYTE, more external features 8 USB, and the internal Specs shoe 8 SATA. Just a few more bells, the Asus

Which of the 2 is faster Q6700 or Q9450 as their is only $55.00 difference. But both are retail, so I assume they come with stock coolers. If memory serves me right, U have to use these if U want intel to honor warranty
    I'm not going to be overclocking, just gonna use it as is

4. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@rick5446
    which cases come with the removable mobo trays? I would like a list of those how they look..removable trays don't matter to me everybody is different..
    I just wanna know isn't cooler master 590 and 690 the only cases with the most fan ports than any other cases made? test me on that..I hav'en seen any other case brand yet or look up none to see.. 690 will be my next case..i use with water cooling running

@Mort

That's no problem i know what saying..brother..I was kinda iffy on the Gigabyte board myself u see this is my first build on 775 socket..I jumped from an 370 socket build p3 and bypassed and 478 socket build.. and landed here..i had alot of problems with old gigabyte boards back in the day so..i was stricky Intel boards only..I liked but..i'm learning as..i go

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

bigwill,

I have nothing against gigabyte other than I don't care for the way their bios's are set up. I don't like having to hit F1 to get into advanced settings and I don't like using memory dividers. I want all the bios menu in plain sight right in front of me and given choices of memory speeds to choose from instead of using multipliers. and on the later mobo's I want to see the fsb straps as 200, 266, 333 and 400 instead of A, B, C, and D. I'm lazy and spoiled.

in all honesty, the last gigabyte mobo I had was a P800 something with socket 478 but their bios was exactly the same on it as it is on their newer mobo's in regards to accessing the advanced settings and memory dividers and I vowed never to get another one.

gigabyte builds very good, solid, reliable mobos but I just don't like their bios. that is my personal preferance and nothing against gigabyte.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

the only case with a removable mobo tray I know of is the CM stacker 830 evo but then again I haven't looked very hard. I'm sure there's others.

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i too am more geared towards asus. i no way have th experiance that you huys do, as i ahve only been int he game for abotu a year, but with 3 duff GB boards, i went and got my P5K-E and i am happy with it, but i want more OCing options. the increments for voltages are too big (take the NBV, its goes up in 0.15 increments, so from 1.25 to 1.4 then 1.55. (not good) same with the FBST.

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

shaf,

that is a bit disapointing. my voltages increase in increments of .02v

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Quite good.

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

WoW..I like this CASE, is this a better case the other one ? Other then price
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119138
    COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case..$189.99 3 Business Day Shipping $24.99

I've always heard bottom PSU aren't as efficient cooling as top mounted

12. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

the Q9450 is much faster 12mb L2 cache versus the Q6700 2x4mb L2 cache..

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It depends on design and case fans. I don't see an issue with it as long as it's not up front.

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

IMO PSU bottom mounted is better, as it no longer draws up the heat of the CPU, and therefore doesnt get as hot, and the fan wont need to run at a higher speed.

and mort, i know :( but, well soon ill be having a new build, hopefully with a rampage, (or i am dumb down to a maximus formula LOL)

but it ran my E1240 (1.6) to 3.0 no problems, but due to my ACF7P and the temps i am getting, i wont run it higher.

15. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@Rick
    my opinion the cases both are great choices the cosmos 1000 i would run water cooling just because it don't have no side panel fans or a good heatsink with atlease a 120mm fan on it with enough cfm and low dba to keep the cpu cool enough..then them top two 120mm fans would be out there and replaced with some 140mm fans...

now the 690 cm Dimensions 20.1" x 8.4" x 19.0" is alot less space to keep cool... then cosmos..

now for the psu at the bottom i was scared towards that also..back then..but..i believe that's why they put in two Top fans ports so air can escape fast..but..i have no hot air coming out of my 590 at all not even from my psu unit fan not even blowing any hot air just cool..it's your choice brother..

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

COSMOS 1000 RC
    2 x 120mm top fans..Make these out
    1 x 120mm bottom fan..Make this one out
    1 x 120mm rear fan..Make this one in..should blow on the CPU, pretty much..Any thoughts on this
    That's a lot of cooling, along with the PSU. Isn't it? That should keep it pretty cool I would think, I could be wrong though

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you have more outs then in as 4 fans out & 1 fan in. you have a negative pressure. you want equal pressure.

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

ddp..Any suggestions, bigwill68..suggested water cool 4 this case, I'm thinking that's a little over kill. What about 2 top in, and rear & bottom out

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

bottom one intake due to cold air rising to hot air, so you want to pull in cold air

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  20. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

rick, remeber you have 5 fans because of psu has at least 1 possibly 2 fans in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.