1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

you see my case is 3 in and 3 out front is 1 side is 2 and the exhaust is top is 2 back is 1..you gotta try to even the air flow but it is alittle better to have more air coming in...heat raises every 1 should know that..

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Thanks everybody, I'll work it out..I know heat rises, And about the PSU FANS which I assume are exaust, as to not be drawing air in. So that leaves rear and bottom for in. Don't particularly like bottom in for dust, but that might be the only recourse. So assuming from what U say to equalize. I'll probably be better off Disconnecting a fan or two

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

or turning the fans around so can blow in opposite direction as before.

4. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

I'm using 4-1 gig sticks of ram on new rig

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

Not the best config for overclocking. It's best to get 2x2GB sticks.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rick,

this is the most common fan config:

the fan on the cpu heatsink should be blowing through the cooling fins towards the rear of the case therefor you want the front fan/s blowing in and the rear fan/s blowing out. moving air from front to back across components to cool them and to pull hot air from cpu on through and out of the case (air moving the same direction as it is through the cpu heatsink, front to back).

bottom fan/s sucking in. coolest air will be on the floor/bottom of the pc. pull this air into the case. top fan/s out. hot air will settle in the top of the case. push this air out.

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

ddp..You mean turn these around
    COSMOS 1000 RC
    2 x 120mm top fans..Make these out
    1 x 120mm bottom fan..Make this one out
    1 x 120mm rear fan..Make this one in..should blow on the CPU
    LIKE THIS
    2 x 120mm top fans..Make these out
    1 x 120mm bottom fan..Make this one in
    1 x 120mm rear fan..Make this one in..should blow on the CPU
    Then the PSU, only 1 fan on the inside drawing out I assume

8. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@Rick5446

This is how..I would run the fans..see now you had me pull out the snagit..program..lol

[​IMG]

i'm pretty sure the air flow will flow pretty good..

ps..sorry for the big image..trying to get a point across..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Also keep in mind the PSU is bottom mounted so its suckink air out

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

As a rule I dislike too many case fans, because not only are they noisy but more of them isn't always better. I especially dislike side case fans. I have never had a case with side case fans that was better than those without them. I prefer a decent intake fan at the front and perhaps twice that going out the back. If the front fan is pulling air in and the rear fans are blowing out then there is less mechanical resistance. I cool the processor with water which leaves room to add a fan to the passive cooling heat sink which I do like because passive cooling is never quite good enough.

I have an E8400 overclocked to 3.834 GHz. The CPU temps on idle hover around 20c to 22C, core temps around 36c to 40c, and the North bridge 32C. I've stress tested the system for over 10 hours using multicore prime95 using short ffts, and another greater than 10 hours with Orthos. Yes I could clock it higher and lower my standards a bit but to what end? Don't over do things just get a decent case with decent airflow. If you're not going to overclock it over thinking cooling will net you nothing, and if you are overclocking then focus on localizing cooling to the various hot spots first.

Good luck.

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

bigwill68.. HAHAHAHA THANKS, I like snagit also, just haven't figured out how to get all those arrows positioned yet. HOw'D you do that
    I'm gonna use Snagit to copy your copy
    Can't see any front fan

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

the psu will be sucking the hot air out, blowing out, not in.

the rest looks ok except he might want both top fans blowing out. he'll have to try it both ways.

13. ddp

bigwill, i have a problem with those 2 top fans with 1 blowing in & 1 blowing out as they are to close together to work properly.

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

does that case have provisions for 2 front fans? if it does, I would use 2 front fans blowing in and have both the top fans blowing out.

15. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

With both top as exhaust that puts me back to one intake on the bottom.
    Would it not be better having the rear blowing in on the CPU ?
    Can Not see any front fans
    Never had this problem with cheap cases... But I want to thank everybody

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

no, front fans as intake. rear fan as exhaust. air moving from front to back in same direction as air moving through the cpu cooler.

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Mort81.. As far as I can see there is no front fan

18. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

i'm from the old school of engine building if your goin to bore small block you better have the right heads and the right coolant setup or you will crack the block..lol

19. ddp

rick, if can't get fans in front tho i think bottom fan is sucking air from front & not bottom then i would use the rear fan in.

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

my apologies. I've never seen a case that elaborate that didn't have a front fan. looks like there's room for a couple. maybe they're not included but you can add them yourself.

I don't think you want the rear fan as an intake under any circumstances. if there are no front fans, I would try the config bigwill suggested first. I would see if there are provisions for at least on front fan after I got the case and install as intake if possible. I'll go to CM website and look into it some more in a bit. exactly what model is that case?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.