1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Can you guys help me with something?:
    I was about to overclock, but before that, I got cpu-z and it reported that my current clock was only 2.0 GHz....w/ 6x 333mhz. But my BIOS says 8x 333mhz, which got me really confused. I wanna overclock, but first I want to figure why my system might be UNDERclocked, (if it really is)... Can anyone help me figure this out?

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You have EIST enabled. This lowers your multiplier to save power.

You can disable it in the BIOS.

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Mort81..I would appreciate your input. I don't have to agree, but everybody here has been of tremendous help. Believe me I would not know what I know without this site. So fire away I'm interested

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hears my final list going to start ordering at Midnight.. Any final recomendations !!!
    Corsair TX 650W ATX12V Power Supply - CMPSU-650TX...Our Price: .. $94.99 Shipping: FREE
    Price After Rebate(s): $74.99
    http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-tx-650w-atx12v-power-supply/q/loc/101/206178324.html

COOLER MASTER Mystique RC-632S-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ... $79.99 Shipping $14.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119129

GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard............... $284.99 Shipping $10.73
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128331

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core Processor ............... $329.99 Free Shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115042

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler .............................. $26.99 Free Shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 ............ $132.99 Free Shipping
    ($97.99 after $35.00 Mail-In Rebate pdf )

Total Cash Layout B4 Rebates.........................................................................$975.00

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

no GPU???? other than that looks good

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hmmm, if I'm spending THAT much on the motherboard I would just get a Rampage Formula. Although you can just as well get a GA-X48-DS4, save some money, and spend it on a better graphics card. <----- By that I mean get A graphics card.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea for 5 bucks more id get the Rampage also..

ok i got my puter here at work. i took out the 2 side panel fans and made the 2 top fans exhaust then the fan in the bottom in front of the PSU is intake as is the front fan.and the rear is exhaust. my temps are down from 43-45 to 39-41 in realtemp. 5 degree cooler. but i dont knwo if that s cause i dont have the side panel on yet.

plus ive been touching the nb and sb. the nb is kinda warm to touch not bad at all. the sb is pretty warm to say dont burn but id say twice as warm as the nb.

got any input on that?

plus ive noticed on my new opty 7200s drive the sata cable that plugs into the back of the drive is cracked...i need a new one....

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Are you SURE. That seems wrong. Why would the SB be hotter than the NB, especially on a OCed system.

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

positive just checked it again

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That's really weird. I've never checked SB temps, but I was sure it would be WAY less hotter. Especially because the NB always has the BIG heatsinks and the SB has the small ones.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mrk44,
    It sounds more to me like you have C1E turned on, rather than EIST. I use that so my computer idles at 2.6GHz and jumps to 3.5GHz under load. Run CPUZ and then start prime 95, OCCT or Orthos. If the speed jumps up to 3.0GHz, C1E is likely the problem. It doesn't hurt performance, but just lets the CPU run slower by dropping the multiplier to 6x until a load is put on it.

Russ

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Russ, EIST lowers the multiplier. So how can you tell the difference?

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

OK ! Why the rampage over the GIGABYTE ? The gigabyte has 2 more Sata connectors, & 2 more USB connectors, plus a mouse and key plug. Now realize I want the best bang for my buck, along with bells & whistles. So what makes the rampage better

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Speedstep comes into play differently and depends on more variables, where C1E is either on or off! Temperature comes into play with EIST, but doesn't with C1E. With just C1E on, it has to reach throttling temperature before it slows down under load!

Russ

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

They both lower the multiplier but they're activated by different triggers. I keep a copy of the explanation in a text file for questions such as these since it is easier than trying to answer it myself and messing things up. So here it is:

Older processors but still the same.

16. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I must not post often enough to count.......

Mort, keep us posted when you set up your new CPU, I wanna compare my results and see if or where I can squeeze more outta mine. around 435(x8)FSB is where I started failing orthos and OCCT. It was getting in the 50-55C area with my CM Hyper TX2 fan/heatsink there too so I been running at 420FSB for the last month or so and things have been great. I love my DVD-RB times :p

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

Well he didn't stop the BS did he?? :p BUT he is having fun so that counts for something. :D

It's impossible to all get along all of the time but affording everyone the "respect" they deserve is definitely worth the effort. I've developed a few friendships over the last 4 years (well almost 4 years) and wouldn't want to jeopardize any of those on the chance of a misunderstanding. It's always a good idea to read and then re-read a post if it seems to "upset" you in any way. Remember to always judge yourself more "harshly" than others would and you have the recipe for keeping more peace in any situation. NOT that peace will get you anything but it may save a friendship that you would regret loosing for a simple explainable reason. :)

That may be a little to deep for you COMPUTER GEEKS but I'm sure you can figure it out. :D .... :p

....gm

add: rick... thinking about some of your selections.. have you ordered yet?? ;)

18. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

greensman..Not yet I'm waiting for an answer on that one last thing Rampage vs Gigabyte..I was just gettin ready to when this popped up

20. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

LOL!!!
    Since yer a mod I cant yell about off topic LOL.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.