1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Anyway back to the problem at hand.. I think I'll just go with the GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6, because of the xtra PCI 16 slot,& 8 SATA,8 USB. The heat coils look like their a little better situated around the CPU also

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

here's few pics of my bios. there's a lot more to it but the mods would can me for using too much space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

probably should have just provided the links. I'll do so if the mods request.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

mort

LOL. I was only showing a shot of the fan controls because it was a raised question. I had and have no intentions of photographing my entire bios;D

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

oh come on. what else do you have to do ;)

the last 2 screenshots are of my fan controls. I had to take 2 pics because they are laid out on 2 different screens. chassis fans and opt fans.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  5. greensman

greensman Regular member

I've been busy with kiddies and work this week so NOT very much posting for the GM!!! ;(

rick if you haven't ordered please look at these... I know you've had information overload the last couple of days but it's always good to explore your options... I didn't look at money I just looked at 2 PCI-e slots and 8 SATA ports... You can always add a USB card if you need one. :) I think each of these mobos has plenty of connections for your needs. :)

linky #1
    X48 chipset

linky #2 P45 chipset

I chose these mobos for features and the ability (reported) to run the newer 45nm Intel cpus. :D You mentioned needing 8 SATAS and a bunch of USB ports. These have them and the mobos are rated well on the EGG. Which doesn't mean much but hey at least the people reviewing like the product. :p

I like the ASUS P5Q-Deluxe, MSI P45 Diamond (you'll have to get DDR3 RAM tho), and the DFI LP LT X48-T2R. The choice is up to you so make the best of it and go from there. ;)

Here's some more RAM choices to "mess" with you too.... lol. linky to RAM These should be about it for your "possible changes". I like Mushkin but the OCZ you chose will work nicely... I hate to give someone ONE choice and then they don't like it. ;) Almost anything you go with you've looked at will work very nicely. You'll not believe the improvements you're gonna get with this NEW puter. ;) Good luck and break a finger nail... hehehehe. :p

...f

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

I just had to post this RAM!!! I know it's NOT well liked/known RAM and it's DDR3 but it's so PRETTY!!!! hehehe. :p

[​IMG]

....gm :)-]>)

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I have no problem with patriot RAM, sometimes they release some pretty decent stuff. Donald (6402) used to use Patriot every now and then. I use a lot of Corsair RAM because they've been the most consistent with their quality.

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I really wish somebody would try that DFI LP LT X48 TR2 mobo. I almost got it instead of my rampage formula. the only reasons I didn't go wit it is because 1) unless you change out the NB heatsink with an aftermarket hs I would have had to have mounted my TR U120E 90 degrees from std with the fan either blowing up or down. 2) the rampage formula became available right before I ordered the DFI mobo. I was seriously considering the maximus formula before that.

there should be no problems with a smaller cpu hsf eg. actic cooling freezer 7 pro or OCZ vendetta. very good mobo I would bet.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I looked at it when I purchased the P5Q. I had a budget of up to $400 so most high end boards were within my range, but I kept running into posts like this one. The only real benefit to going the X48 is a 2X16 bit cross fire which I will never use. In fact I've had a history of buying boards with unneeded features but fortunately common sense took over because all I wanted to was reasonably well featured board that overclocked well. In my view with Nehalem just a few months away and expensive high end purchase just isn't worth it at this time.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=860560

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

MANNNNNNNNNNNN

I want them bios!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thats sweet setup there
    so with the different steps for the ram that almost let you fine tune the speed down to the closes possible to rated speed right? or to any speed you want.
    so in all reality with the 1066 mem running at 1066 or a hair over or under, you wont have any problem achieveing any CPU OC.

with my 800 mem. i can get it up to 900 stable but after that im no good.when i had it up to 4.0ghz it ran fine for 3 days no problems but once it got over 450 feq i couldnt keep it stable(i didnt try and give it more juice)i had the freq up to 458x9 and it would fail.

hey isnt that Q9450 multi @ 10?
    that would be fun to play with..lol 400x10=4.0ghz on a quad????
    come on dont lash me i know you all think about it also....

realistic if/when i get me a quad tbh i doubt i will OC it. i doubt i will do anything that would require it to be OC'd.

but deadrum has his OC'd to 3.6ghz??? or some where close doesnt he?

ok who's gonna contribute to the redrob newest build fund??????

yes this here is off topic but its to funny to not share.
    the wife made a chocolate cake lastnight. i dontget off work until 11:30pm and home until 12:00am. i get home and have a little sample(yes little) take my shower mess with the puter abit then go to bed. in the morning i wake upwith her smacking the crap out of me, yelling why did i eat all the iceing off the cake....me wakeing up i told her ididnt(which i didnt). after a few mins of her yellin at me our youngest(3yo) comes out of his room to see what mommy and daddy were yelling about. we both look at him and begin to laugh our ass's off. he had chocolate iceing all over his face,hand hair you name it... he must have gotten up in the middle of the night and gotten into the cake and went back to bed.....i went to take a pic of him and my camera wasnt on the doc to charge the battieries, but it was a funny thing to see.......

ok sorry to go off topic

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Q9450 has a multiplier of 8.

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well what am i thinking of that has a 10 multi? or am i just wishing???lmao

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The key is using the memory strap. With a 333 MHz strap I would not be able to reach the speeds that I have because my memory would've maxed out early, but with at 266 MHz strap I was able to reach 1708 MHz FSB and my memory is now running about about 1072 MHz when it's rated for 1066.

Sorry hit enter by accident.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

rob, what did the wife say or do to you afterwards?

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Probably the same as they always do, enjoy laughing at the kid but avoid admitting they're wrong and apologizing at any cost.;D

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

should be capable of hitting 3.6ghz (450 x 8) somewhat easily in a good mobo but anything much higher will take some tinkering and require a very good mobo with lots of features/voltage settings. I don't know if I really want to get into that comlex of OC, where I have to mess with CPU PLL voltage, CPU GTL voltage, NB GTL voltage etc. I'm lazy and haven't taken the time to learn exactly what all these voltage settings do.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Nope, it's an 8x multi!

Russ

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

wow, u got the good stuff. which do you have, 2 x 1gb or 2 x 2gb?

3.8ghz would mean a fsb of 475. I've had my fsb up to 445.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

LOL. No actually Mort I got the cheap stuff but it runs in spec with no issues. The ones I gave a link to are the ones that I wanted the ones that I got are like my board, sensible.

I have these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145197

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.