1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

I knew it!!! Sophy is "sensible" and uses the NORMAL stuff now and then... hehehe. :p I think that I read somewhere a member or ex-member uses this memory. linky I could be wrong and frequently am but hey it's the extreme innit?? :D Talk about NOT sensible but if you have the money and DON'T mind doing some experimenting then have at it. :p

Morty I'm still VERY interested in the DFI mobo... I may have to beg the wifey to let me get one... especially since they've come down in price.... hehehe. :D Oh and yes.... like all men.. I beg!!!!! :p

...gm

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

damn Soph was you there? or did you help the boy out????

no she said sorry but it took awhile to get it out of her.... it was funny as all get out seeing him stumble in with the messed up face and still half asleep

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

How is Donald?? Don't run in his circles if he still runs that is. :)

It's pretty RAM anyway you look at it but I'm NOT spending that on RAM, not with the available DDR2 goodies we have now. ;) Corsair is good in my book for sure. ;) I likey Mushkin... docTY did that to me. lol. I have some OCZ stuff too. NOT bad but like everyone else out there they have some "funky" RAM too. Boozer has had some issues at least.

Just PM'd Spammer92 (aka im1992) and I still haven't figured out the issues with the Striker Extreme and the Q6600. I may have to buy some cheapy RAM to get the thing started.. All I have in DDR2 right now is high end 1066 stuff. lol. That's what I get for doing that "high end" purchasing... hehehe. :p

.....gm

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I don't know how Donald is. When he was gone for a while I sent him an email and he responded and said things were fine, but I haven't heard from him since. I assume that he "is no longer running."

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

Well that's sad news if I'm understanding that correctly.

On to more cheery news.... please.. ;)

RedRob is collecting "funds" for his NEW rig and I'll be the "treasurer" for his behalf. Send all funds to the GM!! Denomination need not apply.. ALL are welcome. :) TIA for your caring and more importantly your MONEY!!! :D

RedRob I'll send you the money as soon as I get it in... what are your dollar figures needed?? :D

Oh BTW..... the chocolate kid was GREAT!!!! We've had similar experiences here more than once.... ROFL.. I think that all parents have those kind of stories and should share them often. :D

OK.... sorry for the OT post... but I couldn't help it!!!

....gm

6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

This is what I've got on my order, all I have to do is hit check out

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DH-20A4P-04 $21.99
    LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black IDE Model GH22LP20 $27.99
    COOLER MASTER Mystique RC-632S-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum/ SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case -$5.00 Instant $84.99 $79.99
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $84.99
    SAPPHIRE 100198L Radeon X1650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP $59.99
    OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR10664GK $132.99 $35.00 Rebate
    GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard $284.99
    ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler $31.99
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9450 $329.99
    Corsair TX 650W ATX12V Power Supply - CMPSU-650TX Price After Rebate(s): $74.99

Subtotal: $1,054.91
    Shipping: $29.03
    Grand Total: $1,158.93

Any last recommendations or other thoughts before I place my order
    My only thought is maybe getting the CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 $109.00 after $40.00Rebate
    instead of the OCZ Reaper $97.99 after $35.00 Rebate

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

well it seems such a waste that your nto goign to OC, if not why nto get a p45 ASUS P5Q?

and you have an AGP gfx card there, when the board only takes PCI-E

and with the P5Q, its a good clocker (even the normal one, ASUS have hit hard with these P45s and they have the linux OS for net in 5 seconds, instead of booting into windows)

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

shaffaaf..Thank you very much didn't notice that on the Vid Card
    So I'll get this one instead
    SAPPHIRE 100236L Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
    And again the P5Q does not have enough USB Ports & only 1 PCI 16..Its got enough SATAS though..But its pretty much the same with all the ASUS Brds that I looked at
    The Gigabyte might be second choice to all but I really like all the XTRAS..Don't get me wrong I've been a Die-Hard ASUS since I can remember, This will be my first change on Mobo in 12 yrs. I'm really hoping it works out
    See it pays too double check B4 ordering. DAMN don't you just love everybody here. THANK YOU very much..shaffaaf

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Sorry everybody: What about the Memory ? Any thoughts
    This is going to be my second most expensive Computer, so I want to make sure every thing is Champed. My first was an Intel 100GHz for 1,500.00, so I GUESS u know how long its been. Even upgraded to a 4Gig HDD for an Xtra 200.00bucks

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

rick I would really look closer at some of the mobos that I gave you a link too. ;)

btw here's a link to something similar to what you chose but PCI-e 16x. linky

link to 8600GT cards there's some good deals to be had here. ;)

some HD3650's

rick I don't own any of these and I'm sure no one here does either. lol. ;) There's some good deals to be had and there's some good cards too. :D

hth in some way... ;)

....gm

12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Mine has six USB ports without the extension but it all seems moot since I have a USB port hub that adds another six. Each USB port can handle several connections. A single USB host controller can handle up to a 127 devices.

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

shaffaaf..Boy O Boy ya that's got Xtra bells and whistles. But I haven't seen or heard anybody using this Brd here at AD. Some of the Asus Brds have even been shot Down. So am I buying a pig in the pook or what
    Also what about the memory
    There are no revues on this one yet

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2008
  15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

that my friend is a HIGH END ASUS mobo. there is no way it wont be good. it will be gold, an it will OC liek the dogs nuts (aka brilliantly)

as for RAM, seems perfectly fine to me

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Boy O Boy your sure puttin in a lot of work for me, just to save a buck or 2. You just don't know how much I really appreciate that
    OK you talked me into it, I'll go with this over the Gigabyte. Hope your happy, Damn you must be a salesman HAHA !
    ASUS P5Q Premium LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
    But remember something its only money,and I realize that its important in order to get by, believe my I've been there. I worked hard for what I have today, I had to struggle bringing up 3 kids. I did without ! So anyway I've got lots of it now. So let me waste a little
    Let me give U an example..I've got a 60" Sony ($2,000.00) that I love to watch at night, but where it sits during the day the glare is to much,
    So I bought a 32" LG $700.00) to set up in a different location to watch during the day. 2 mons after I bought it, decided it was to
    small, so I bought a Olevia 47" (1,300.00) now I'm happy
    I'm using the 32" as my computer monitor. Now I'm not trying to say that money doesn't mean anything to me,I was young once and worked hard for what I've got. But at my age, and you'll soon find out, Comforts are even more important. Anyway PISS ON MY KIDS ! When I die they'll have a lot of nice Shit instead of money
    YOU CAN BREATHE EASY NOW Friend !

Again what about the MEMORY My Memory My Memory

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

My order is done, !! No turnin back now, again THANK YOU Everybody for your help. I Think I tried every bodies patients

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

rick.... well this post is almost moot. ;) And you haven't tried my patience.... lol. I have 3 kiddies under 8 years old. :p

Did you go with the Corsair Dominators?? here's a link to the modules I'd have NO problems using.. :) linky

...gm

edit: to check linky

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    This is exactly what I was getting at the other day! The man has made up his mind, pretty much as to what he wants, his choice is a good solid one and it's what he wants. You act like he's making a big mistake in not getting the P5Q, when he's not. I could see it if he was making a terrible choice with a real POS motherboard, but he's not! Spare me the bios differences details! The P5Q has a better bios, geared more towards the Enthusiast than the general user. He chose a more General approach based on his needs. The DQ6 fits his needs better so why do you keep harping on the P5Q? Again, spare me the bios details and advantages, he doesn't need them or want them!

We go on page after page of the same damn thing, evey time someone wants to do a build and starts asking questions! Mention a CPU Cooler and you would think the TRUE is the only cooler in the world worth anything! I advised Rick to try a Freezer 7 Pro, instead of using the stock Intel cooler. He's not overclocking so it should be more than able to handle the heat! The chip puts out 95w and the F7P handles 130w, so it should work just fine, for about a third of the money!

It's getting like that with everything! Mention you want to get a new Video Card, HDD, ODD, memory, or anything and we get charts, graphs screen shots with everyone trying to prove their choice is the best! It's like watching a Comedy/Chess Game sometimes.

I didn't leave because of a difficult situation with Rob! We both handled that like the Gentelman we are, and easily resolved things. I was far more worried that I had wronged a good friend unintentionally, than I was about the BS here! I left because of all this continuing bickering over motherboards, bios's, HDD, etc, Maybe a monthly updated Recommended hardware list would be a good idea. Someone new could go and look at it first before they start asking questions. It could be broken down to price ranges with all the choices offered being good ones, or perhaps with an ABC rating system. Maybe it would cut a lot of this bickering out!
    Shaff, you said: "well it seems such a waste that your nto goign to OC, if not why nto get a p45 ASUS P5Q"? He's already answered that question as to why not, a page or two ago! What makes it such a waste? The MB he's choosing gives him what he wants, gives him decent Future Proofing and is going to be reasonably easy for him to do just about anything he wants to with it. It's also a top notch High End motherboard, so he's not making a mistake in buying it, if that's what he wants, has the money for it and doesn't mind spending that kind of money, I applaud his decision! I would have applauded it if he had gotten any other high end MB, regardless of what brand! We as a Forum, need to start concentrating more on what someone wants, based on his needs and put all that other crap to rest!

Respectfully,
    Russ

20. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

I'm finally up and running yay~!

got a few things to do like load a ton of software plus they didn't put a side fan on the case but my temps are fine. the Antec 1200 is way quieter than the 900 by miles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.