1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taz1974

taz1974 Member

hey guys,

its been awhile since ive been on here. so i finished my first build and it was a deaster. not sure what went wrong, but lets just say it is a no go. i first thought the power supply was bad. but it is working just fine. i just get no power from the computer at all. if i take the main power plug out of the motherboard and plug it back in the lights will flash real quick and then go out. it does not even stay on at all. so im thinking bad motherboard or something. plus at one time there was this pop and a smell was coming from the area of the hard drive.

ok so say its a bad motherboard and all. will i have any problems with newegg in returning it for another one. and how will i know if it is a bad board. is there some kind of test to show that it is a bad board. any help would be nice with this one. it did not even stay on long enough to program. so it is still right out of the boxes.

anyways any advice to this problem would be great. thanks in advance.

taz1974

2. billybob

billybob Regular member

My advice? Ask mort :D Doesnt sound good though, might have had too high voltage or something? That pop sounded to me like something got fried.

I dunno though, as mort :D

3. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

i got almost all parts to turn on new pc , im just gonna take hard drive from diff pc, but i dont know one thing , where i suppose to put two cables from power supplie , PCI-E1 and PCI-E 2?

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

You have everything else hooked up but don't know where the PCI-Express power cables go? Just trying to clear things up a bit. Do you have GFX cards that require power from the PCI-E cables or from the standard 4-pin connector?

Or do you even need extra power to push your GFX cards? Get back with us and see what we can do. :)

hth in some way. :)

....gm

5. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

i dunno .:X ... i didnt receive graphic card yet:p .im gonna use onboard video just to check if everything works . so i dont neet to hook up those cables.

6. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Those are to power a PCI-Express Video Card or Cards...If you do not have a PCI-Express card...you will not be using them...

@taz1974
    Has anyone helped you yet on trouble shooting your build?..
    Give us as much specifics as possible about what happened!!!
    Are you positive you assembled it correctly?..

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  7. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

Heloo :) . I bought motherboard ASUS P5B Deluxe with dual lan mode , for new build and im gonna start new pc tommorow when the gpu gonna arrive , my question is about dual lan , im using router right now , two pc's are connected by cable and one laptop is wireless , back to the point , can i connect modem cable to one of those two dual lan ports and other dual lan port connect with router ? is it gonna work ?
    ????

8. taz1974

taz1974 Member

well i folled everything it said to do. i have a video i bought on how to put it together. so i think i did. when i first finished it and pushed the power button on the front of my case nothing happened. so i remembered my motherboard has a on/off button and a rest button built onto the board. so i pushed it and it turned on. everything lite up and all three case fans worked. i could turn it off by the case button but not on with it. so i thought that maybe the little wires that go to the case and motherboard were not hooked up right. so i turned it off and unhooked and rehooked the wires. i also hooked up this cable i bought that goes to the hard drive for the sata plug. it had a power plug and the sata plug in one. instead of two different plugs. when i turned it back on thats when i heard a pop and smelled something funny from around the hard drive area.

now all i get when i unplug the main power supply plug from the motherboard(and plug it back again)is a real fast blink from all lights and fans start to want to turn and then nothing. so im sure i blowed the motherboard and hard drive. but how can you tell if you have or not. the smell is no longer there. so i cant go by that anymore. i did check my power supply by putting it in my old system. it did still work. well anyways thats what happen. so tell me the bad news. am i out a hard drive and motherboard?

taz1974

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

taz,

what make and model hdd do you have? I know on the WD hdd's that have both SATA power connector and a 4 pin molex power connector, they tell you not to have both power connectors hooked up at the same time.

10. taz1974

taz1974 Member

i belive it is a seagate 320 7200 16 sata. something like that. it came OEM. i did not even get to program anything on the computer yet.it just came on and went out. i did not even have my monitor hooked up to see anything yet.

taz1974

11. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

Hey i just booted my new pc , for a first time , and checked mine cpu temperature and its 31.5 C its E6600 on Asus P5b Deluxe with AC Freezer 7 Pro cpu fan , is that tmp normal?

12. Neverhap

Neverhap Guest

You didn't answer Mort81's question, actually it was a statement, but quite possibly relevant,

13. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@taz1974
    Everyone is just trying to figure out what happened on your build...If you hooked-up both power connectors...that would explain it...the odds are you smoked the Hard Drive...odds are your Motherboard is still Ok...

So just let us know...so we can help you to return only the parts that need to be replaced...

You say the Power Supply is Ok...I would still be a little suspicious of whether or not it is Ok...If you hooked up both connectors...

@pszczoll
    The answer is yes...that would fall in the normal range...In fact that would be cool...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  14. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

heyy thats me again. :)I first problems with new pc :D, i installed win xp , all drivers from internet ( i got cd with drivers only for vista ), everythink works ok but not so fast like it suppose (i feelt like it)and i runned cpu-z , it shows my memory speed 400mhz , and it suppose to be 800mhz , fsb:dram is 2:3 and timings are 5-5-5-18 , and command rate is 2T , how can i change that?

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

you're memory speed in cpu-z is ok (400 x 2). it will show in the bios under dram frequency as 800. what memory do you have?

16. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

thats my memory , for now i got just 1 stick Corsair

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

ok I remember now. everythings looks ok. your memory is cas5 so the timings are right. make sure the dram voltage is set to 1.9 volts. I sure hope your memory will run dual channel when you get your other stick.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  18. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

I just builded new pc , and im on default bios version 0910 ASUS P5b Deluxe , my question , witch version of bios should i get ? , newest? , or some lover versions , im not sure witch version fix what but im gonna oc in future and do raid , so if some version of bios is gonna help me here , please post your suggestions .

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

looks like the latest bios is 1101. yours is several months old.

edit on your timings: you can most likely tighten them up to 5-5-5-15 from 5-5-5-18. probably won't make much difference but every little bit helps.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  20. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

ok timmings are changed , what i need to change to overclock?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.