1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Well said Russ.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Does this post remind you of a discussion of quality that occurred a few days ago? Fortunately it remained solid on the merits and didn't get personal:D

I seem to recall someone who was as equally adamant about the quality of commercial computers.

True, but then doesn't it all depend on who's playing?

Actually you never left but there's a difference in these two situations You unintentionally took it to a personal level regarding a subject that was not part of an ongoing discussion, no one requested the information. This is different, Rick asked for advice regarding pieces of equipment and the members here gave it to him passionately. If I asked for technical advice I could only hope for as much passion, and with such good taste.

I see no analogy here.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  3. LOCOENG

Zo, you'll be posting up some benchmarks soon then....and updating your sig

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

greensman..No I went with the OCZ. Nobody got back to me in time, so I just took a shot in the dark.The only difference I could see was 5-5-5-12 & 5-5-5-18, and I got no clue what that means other then the 5 is better then 6. LOWER Is better. It will work well I'm sure anyway their were more negatives in the revues 4 the Dominator then the OCZ at Newegg..But in general they both looked good. So just LIKE A WOMAN I took the one that I thought looked the best. I know, I know ya'll just laughfin at me now

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

rick there were so many posts in such a short amount of time that I'm surprised we (shaf) caught your almost ught-oh... lol. I think you'll be just fine with the OCZ and I still stand by what I said... I'd use any of the modules that I linked to.. and the OCZ was on that list. ;)

Good luck buddy.. and have plenty of fun.. :D

....gm

6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

theonejrs.. I don't know if U can remember or not! But I can in the past you've helped me a lot, and I want to thank you 4 that. Please don't be too Judgemental, I've pretty much listened to everybody hear at AD. I've picked up a lot, and believe it or not. I've been able to help others with this little bit of knowledge I've picked up hear. So please don't be to harsh on everybody your a long standing member here.My choices are made my parts are ordered. Thanks to this site, I've built 4 different types of Computers, each one a little better then the next. Everybody that I built 4 is totally happy. So sarcastic or not, right or wrong, it all works out in the end. That's what my Wife used to tell me anyway..JUST REMEMBER ONE THING..Everybody loves their own Penis the best, I know I do
    Did you know that at one time I was nothin but a little squirt. WOW look at me now building Computers and don't know crapola about them. O by the everybody my Computer is going to be better then anyones HaaaaHaaaa cause its mine, all mine

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

P.S Also I Want too have SEX one more time B4 I Die

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

greensman..THANKS A LOT you've all been great help..Lets see if we can throw a little humor at..theonejrs he seems a little depressed, His dog mighta died, or he caught his Girlfriend in bed with it.Or somethin, he's really a good person. Never seen him so up tight B4

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I just realized what his problem is ! HE's a F#%king Addict

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Russ (theone) has his moments but he always seems to come back renewed and refreshed. Sometimes we all get caught up in shadows of emotional moments, and then everything we do from there seems to fall in its shade. HLG

11. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

yup going to do the side fan let it run a few days then OC it and updating my sig with the parts i have

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    I made it Crystal Clear that I was talking about so called "WalMart Specials"! Those on sale for $199 to $299. The quality on HP and Compaq's more expensive offerings is much better! I also based what I said on the 30 or so that I have worked on this past 6-8 months!
    No, you're absolutely right, so I shouldn't have drawn one!

BTW? What would you think of a guide for new builders and Newbies?. Maybe laid out by price/performance. I think it could cut down on a lot of redundancy, as we always seem to have to go back to square one, every time someone posts that they want to do a new build. All I know is that they keep asking the same questions, over and over again, week after week! Do you know I spent a month reading posts in the threads and getting the lay of the land before I even joined or posted here! I remember well, that first post, as it was right in the middle of you and Brobear when you were trying to make him understand why the AMDs did more work in less clock cycles! That was a while ago! LOL!!

Seriously, I would like to hear your thoughts on some sort of a guide!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Anyone ever buy from the TankGuys?..
    They have the E8400 for $169...
    http://www.tankguys.com/index.php

I am thinking about it for a Shuttle PC...for road trips...
    Shuttle P2 Chassis SP35P2V2 Intel Socket T(LGA775) Intel P35 4 x 240Pin none Aluminum Black Barebone - Retail
    CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5 - Retail
    Special savings w/ memory combo, ends 7/31 $359 ($339 after $20 rebate)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101066

What do you guys think?...

14. LOCOENG

@Russ

I think it would be a good idea, but we already have a dream machine thread and a budget build thread stickied. Not to mention this thread and a gfx card thread. If we open a new one with a different focus I think one (or more) of the other stickies will have to go.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

That makes sense if one can get them to read it first.

Same here. I haunted this place through the summer of 2002, but I didn't actually join until March 1, 2003.

LOL. brobear and I did that for years and where ever we went it always stirred things up, but in a good way. We never mistook or shut down the passion for sharing ideas, and it was infectious.

I'm all for it so go for it!

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

One could be directed to beginners and the other to the more advanced builders, although I suppose everyone is advanced in their own minds. LOL

17. LOCOENG

18. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@ theonejrs & sophocles
    Quote:
    BTW? What would you think of a guide for new builders and Newbies?. Maybe laid out by price/performance. I think it could cut down on a lot of redundancy, as we always seem to have to go back to square one, every time someone posts that they want to do a new build.

That makes sense if one can get them to read it first...Good Idea...but read it first...I Doubt that they will...

Quote:
    Do you know I spent a month reading posts in the threads and getting the lay of the land before I even joined or posted here!

Same here. I haunted this place through the summer of 2002, but I didn't actually join until March 1, 2003. Came here about the same time...never posted till 2005...

Quote:
    Seriously, I would like to hear your thoughts on some sort of a guide

I'm all for it so go for it! Like the Idea...how bout just making it...Each Post is a complete system build...with your comment on what its for...
    With (1) rule...
    No Posting Comments about an others choice of builds...

Quote:
    If we open a new one with a different focus I think one (or more) of the other stickies will have to go.

One could be directed to beginners and the other to the more advanced builders, although I suppose everyone is advanced in their own minds. LOL. You Got that Right...:)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Good idea, and I sense that Locoeng wants to see this happen, because he knows that a little diversity is always good, even with ideas.

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I was the same way, I was a little embarrassed at first, did a lot of reading but would not post. Really didn't want anybody to know how little I Knew. Then I remembered ignorance can't be taught a thing, But stupidity can learn. I've got a girl right now that tells me she follows my instructions to the letter (E-Mails}. But she can't find one E-Mail To return to me so I can and see if I did instruct her properly..Guess you all know what that tells me. My son-in-law is in his 40's,he don't read instructions either. Now me! I'm cocky, I'll glance over them, and try. But if it don't turn out right then I do a thorough read. Even then it don't always work out. You have to learn to read and really study what you read
    AND Truthfully the older you get the harder it is to learn,let alone too remember,YA gotta pull them structions out every day, I think an infant, if memory serves me right.Learns more in there 1st year of their life, then they will learn in the rest of their life

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.