1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Sorry to break into the discussion...but..has anyone ever bought from tankguys.com ?..
    I hate buying from stores I have never heard of...or bought from...before...

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I agree that every would be builder should have the opportunity to start their own thread and have it remain on topic. I'm not certain that it is the point that Russ was making, but isn't that available now? The trick is keeping a thread unpolluted by outside requests by others based on their interests.

In a thread where one is asking the advice of others it is impossible to ask them to not post comments about anthers choice of build, because everything that they know is based on their own set of experiences based on those builds.

3. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Idea:

Everyone/anyone who wants to participate build a budget rig, mid-range and high-end system and post prices and specs accordingly here in this thread. I'll create a sticky titled something like Afterdawn User recommended builds (rough title) and post a link to their respective build in this thread for discussion (if needed or course) and close the thread to avoid pollution. Links within the thread would be something like "LP531's mid-level Intel build (price goes here)" or "Soph's entry level AMD build (price goes here)" etc. etc. and so on and so forth. Everyone would have an outlet to suggest their build with their preferred hardware and setup.

EDIT: While I tend to prefer the way LP lays out his posts, I think there should be a format for such posts.

Case = *link/no link & estimated cost*
    mobo =
    RAM =
    GPU =
    HDD =
    Estimated build cost =

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    I've only heard of them, and as I remember they've been around for a year or now more. They're a US Company from Michigan, and they seem to be legit with all the credit card companies I checked them out with. They do have some really good prices. I would check with your credit card company. They should be able to tell you enough to let you make a decision as whether to try them or not.

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I also like well laid out links but with a few exceptions. If we're going to link to prices we should consider the reputation of the dealer along comparative best prices. If we're going to advertise we might as well see that the best offer gets the business.

Just providing lists of items and prices doesn't say much about the performance or quality of the recommendations. I think that comparative and quality hardware reviews from reputable sites should be considered and when possible included with recommendations.

6. LOCOENG

I didn't really mean to give a link to, say, NewEgg for a price...I think it would be better to just give a price guesstimate. I say this because this weeks sale/rebate won't be good next week and the prices are always fluctuating. It would be better to give a "what you can expect to pay" for said product rather than actually advertising for one company or another. Also with this being an international forum the prices will vary from country to country.

Sure, why not...but what makes this not a reputable site. I know we don't have inhouse vendors supplying us with samples, but the members here who are giving the suggestions do frequent those sites I would assume and consider their word good, but not set in stone.

7. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Thanks Russ,
    What makes me nervous is they don't offer a lot of product...so probably not very big...and I have never heard of them...but they are the cheapest I can find on a E8400 $169...and the Q9450 $309...at least someone has heard of them...

@Loco
    I don't want my own thread..LOL...
    I was thinking of just one thread...were...everyone post a build...so people can see options...Maybe call it "The Suggestions Only...PC Build Thread"
    You just make it a rule that...You don't tear down an others build...
    If you think you can come up with something better for the buck...post it with-out criticism...and let the people decide themselves...
    You can still answer questions...and make your suggestions based on there needs...
    You just do not slam someone suggested build...which is what causes the most tension in here...in my opinion...:)

I think most people only link to sites they have bought from...and thus...recommend...
    I know whenever I post a price directly from a sight I am not familiar with...I state that...in the post...

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Lp,

yes I have. tankguys is a reputable retailer. I bought my asus P5W DH Deluxe from them and my oem/tray E3110. no problems whatsoever. fast shipping and good customer support. go for it.

9. ruckuz27

ruckuz27 Member

loco,

Thats a great idea! I'm in the process of building my first rig(just bought the last pieces, two graphics cards) when I was looking for parts that the experts on here suggest,sometimes I would have to search through pages because I wanted to be sure I got the right item that a particular expert recommended. If there was a place where we could see what each expert suggests that would be awesome.
    Danny

10. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Mort
    SOLD...:) Now which one?..I think the E8400 will be the smarter choice for the build...
    I think I am better off with the added speed of the E8400...vs...the Q9450's...extra cores...larger cache...
    Plus the Q9450's take more wattage...produce more heat...and are almost double the price...

Its going in this...

A Shuttle PC...for road trips...
    Shuttle P2 Chassis SP35P2V2 Intel Socket T(LGA775) Intel P35 4 x 240Pin none Aluminum Black Barebone - Retail
    CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5 - Retail
    Special savings w/ memory combo, ends 7/31 $359 ($339 after $20 rebate)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101066

With a Seagate 500GB 32MB drive...and a HD4850..
    I want something to power a 24" monitor...for on the road...I hate looking at spreadsheets on a little Laptop screen...

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

well, the Q9450 will tear up the E8400 in MIPPS due to it being a quad core and having 12M L2 cache vs 8M with the 8400 even though the clock speed is less. for what it's going in tho the E8400 or E3110 might be the better choice.

just so happens, I just ordered a Q9450 yesterday to replace my E3110 (xeon vs of the E8400). newegg had a special on it for $320 (with promo code) and free shipping. I might consider selling my E3110 for around $140 if you're interested.

12. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Mort
    You can expect a PM...:)
    No one better bid it up...}:)

13. LOCOENG

@Lp531

I didn't mean that you'd have your own thread, but a post for each build you'd like to suggest. The original post would be the index and the following posts would be the builds that anyone would like to submit...something like this:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/679509
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/673257

@ruckuz

Thanks, it can be a little difficult to sort through all the suggestions. It would be nice to have it all in one centralized location for easy browsing.

14. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Mort
    Wouldn't that only be the case in the synthetic tests...with programs optimized for 4 cores...
    I know in synthetic test that can use the multiple cores...it can rip it apart...
    Isn't the E8400 in Real World...normal everyday use...basically...equal to the Q9450 in performance?..

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ruckuz27,
    Thanks Danny! Maybe contributers could give some insight to some of the hardware based on personal experience. It would be nice to be able to check out the skinny on the latest hardware as well. After all there's still more junk stuff out than there is good stuff!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I think you will find that even in real world apps the Q9450 will be faster especially for multi-tasking or with proggys that can utilize all 4 cores. I could be wrong. for what I'm going to be using it for (primarily video encoding) the Q9450 will be faster.

bear in mind it will require more power and imo the E8400 or E3110 would be a better choice in the shuttle being it only has a 400 watt P/S and who knows how good it is.

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Does anybody here know how to set a higher ratio for Used read buffers, in Burning software. I think its 128mb (but not sure). But nero every once in a while on my Comp will go from Max to 1 click. So I thought if I could set it higher it might help. I'm thinkin something else is using it too

18. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Mort
    No...your right about the Q9450...its the Q6600's & the Q9300's that were basically similar in performance when not utilizing the extra cores...The extra cache pulls the Q9450 away...but also produces significantly more heat...If I was going to go Quad...the Q9300 would probably be the way to go...For this particular build...due to the case size...
    I will be using it for Photoshop...and Illustrator...which are optimized for 4 cores...or so I just read...I didn't think they were...but it appears they are...anyway...your also right about the P/S which was the one thing I don't like about shuttle...damn propriatary P/S...just make the case a little bigger..and go with a standard P/S...The E8400 or the E7200 is probably the way to go for this particular application...

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

russ, once again sorry for adding the extra mobo, its just to ME, it seemed such a waste LOL.

but then i rectified by giving him something RICK wanted (a mobo with enough USB and SATA connections (TEN EACH) )

or was it that you were grumpy he had gone with an ASUS of Gigabyte :p HAHA

as for this PC recomended parts thing. i already do this for another fourm, but they are primarily UK based, and AS is more US. IF you want me to, i could also put it up on here:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17883751

(if the mods want to take the link to another foum away, i'd understand)

20. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Everyone/anyone who wants to participate build a budget rig, mid-range and high-end system and post prices and specs accordingly here in this thread. I like that idea with one more thing added at the end of the build the set up specs in the bios and OS ex XP 32 or 64 Vista etc.Maybe too much, but I learn more by reading and seeing what some one has done with a set up and researching the terminology and reasoning out why it was done that way.Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.