1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

what do you want to OC to?

2. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

to something that im gonna be able to work stable on air cooling . 3.2GHZ should be enough .

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I'll give you some settings over in the overclocking thread. this isn't the appropriate place. I see you're over there too.

4. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

Yes i am , but no one was replaying my post in overclocking thread. so i posted here :)

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I'm looking for a comp. case that holds 2 power supplies ? Any suggestion would be appreciated

6. billybob

billybob Regular member

im curious, why do you need two psu's?

Im naive, not challenging you :D sure theres a perfectly good reason

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I got 8 hddrvs[300gig ea],2Burners,Video card,Sound card,4 Fans.I'm looking for a Max Tower-With about 12 or more bays

8. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

If you just get a 1000W PSU that will handle anything you throw at it.

Largest cases I know of are those from Mountain Mods (mine holds 9 HDD's) and had five 5.25" drive bays, although they do one with 6 bays.

9. tomygntom

tomygntom Member

hey,i just bought a new case and powersupply and i put everything in but the psu has a a 24pin plug and my mobo has a 20 pin plug hole thing, i got the plug to fit in the hole wtih the extra pins going over the side , not plugged into anything. do you think i should try and power it up. reply asap,I dont think i can hold out much longer with out trying it.

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

tomygntom..Don't sound like a good idea to me..I'm thinkin that most are [either,or]..check each end & see if it snaps off or comes apart

11. tomygntom

tomygntom Member

It kinda looks like there both made to fit each other kinda , the mobo has metal circles under each of the 4 spare pins and the clip on the psu plug is centred on the mobo clip, and its got a protuded line on the plug just before the overhanging bit is. Thats it, Im trying it

So Long Computer.....See you in hell

12. tomygntom

tomygntom Member

oh just saw your post now, HEY! it does come off. Thanks Rick

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

@tomygntom,
    Don't ever pull/flip the switch unless you're sure. :)

@Mort81 or Lp531 or ALL really,
    I've been thinking about going to dual core on my 939 socket mobo (computer) but I'm a little unsure of what I should do. I can get this AMD Athlon 64 X2 939 socket cpu pretty cheap but I haven't seen any other deals cheaper or with a better cpu. Any advice or help is appreciated as usual. :)

....gm

btw I don't plan on going with the Intel setup until later this year or maybe early next year after the Christmas cash comes in. :p

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

greensman,

I'm the wrong guy to be asking about AMD but I do know one disadvantage to buying an oem (no hsf included) is that the warranty is only 1 year as opposed to 3 years with a retail cpu. just out of curiosity what mobo and cpu do you have now?

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

Hey Mort81 good to 'see' you. :)

Mobo = Asus A8N5X

cpu = AMD Athlon 64 3000 (or 3200) can't remember not at home right now. :)

Hope this gives you something to go on. ;-)

.....gm

16. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

greensman---
    That is a better deal than newegg.com and a good cpu for the 939 series. Those were new and going in the $800-900 HP desktops at X-mas year 2005. A friend of mine bought a system with one back then and asked me to put it in a different case, add a hard drive, and add video card. Was a nice system at the time, still is today at stock settings in an XP system w/2GB ram. I liked it so much that I bought the barebones deal that tigerdirect was shopping with that same CPU (and ASUS A8S-X) a week ago. Gonna make some money putting that system together and finish it off with spare parts I have laying around.

17. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

Hard Drive question:

I got 1 sata hard drive its WD Caviar 250 GB , on my motherboard asus p5b deluxe , should i install jmicron or some other drivers for better hard drive performance?

ps: i didnt install any , because cd with motherboard i got was full of Vista Drivers Only , and none of them worked on XP . So i just downloaded those drivers that i know i need to download from asus website. i mean standard , sound , usb , chipset ...

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  18. greensman

greensman Regular member

Is the drive OEM or Retail? If it's a retail version I think they come with a driver disc. If NOT the WD website has all that you need. I've downloaded from them many times. :)

Try this for WD HDD's

....gm

edit: spellin of course

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  19. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

The CD has both Vista and XP/2000 drivers on it, you need to look in the correct directory, they're just not as obvious as the Vista drivers.

However you're better off using the latest drivers for the interface you are connected to.

Whether or not you use Jmcron or the Intel drivers depends on what SATA port you connect to.

You will get better performance using on of the Intel SATA ports, these are the 6 ports in the middle of the board near the bottom edge, 4 of them are red 2 are black.

Go to Intel and download the lasted drivers for the 965 raid and install those. (this link should be for xp-32 if it works ok.
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/scr...XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go!

Make sure you turn on write back cache as well, as this will increase burt speed.

20. taz1974

taz1974 Member

lp531,

im not sure if i hooked up the two power connectors are not. seems like i just hooked up the one. i cant remember. that was awhile ago now. at this point anything is possible though. as for the make and model of the hard drive. im not sure where you look to find that info at. so sorry if what i posted did not really help any of you figure out anything. i guess ill take it to a computer shop and let the experts fix it for me. thanks for your guys advice and help.

have a good day.

taz1974

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.