1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Update on my latest build.

I've so far managed to turn this mess.
    [​IMG]

Into this slightly less messy beast.
    [​IMG]

Its made up of the 2 main parts as seen, the bottom part is used to house the Phase Cooler which has now shipped so will be here Sat/Mon any luck.
    [​IMG]

Here's the view of the mobo area, as can be seen it's running with the stock CPU cooler until the phase arrives, plus one of the UV tubes has come unstuck at one end (time for some glueing).
    [​IMG]

The other side of the case, showing how bored I got whilst waiting for parts.
    [​IMG]

This one taken in the dark, but it doesn't really do the whole thing justice.
    [​IMG]

System:
    Mobo: Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi Rev C2 BIOS 0910
    CPU: Intel E6600 Model F, Stepping 6 Rev B2
    Memory: Corsair Dominator 8500 C5 2x 1GB 2.1V with AirFlow Fans
    GPU: Galaxy 7900 GTX Clocked at 1700/700
    Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Music Extreme Platinum
    HDD: 3xWD Raptors + 1xWD Raptor (different tests) 3xWD2500KS
    DVD-R: Samsung SH-D162C Kreon firmware
    DVD-RW: Plextor PX-716-A
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 1000W

Water-Cooling:
    EK-79 GPU Block
    Swiftech MCW-30 Chipset block
    EK-Mosfet Block
    MasterKleer 7/16" Clear Tubing
    XSPC 5.25" Bay Res
    Thermochill PA120.3 Triple Rad
    Laing D5 Pump
    Fesser UV Blue coolant

Phase Cooler: Chilly1 Xtreme Edition

Case:
    Top: Mountain Mods Aluminium Cube 18"x18"x18"
    Base: MDF Self build
    Fans: Loads of them.
    Lighting: Loads of them as well.
    AC Ryan Steel mesh
    AC Ryan UV Acrylic

and loads of other bits and bobs as well.

There are a few extra bits to do, such as fit the LEDs for the pwr and hdd activity, and I'm also waiting for a few more SATA cables to arrive.

Obvioulsy when the cooler turns up, its a case of cutting a hole in the bottom of the main case and the top of the bottom case to pass the cooling arm through.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  2. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Nice Rig!!! I like the Custom made Lower case to house the phase cooler...
    I was wondering how you were going to mount the phase cooler in a standard case...
    I figured you were building a open work station type rig with the phase cooler mounted outside...
    Very Nice Indeed!!!

3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Thanks.
    It took a while to come up with that idea, I've seeen some people put the phase cooler inside the MM cases, but it was goinf to get pretty cramped in there, plus I also have the additional water cooling to get in there.

Its been referred to as the fridge quite a few times now, and i'm starting to refer to it as the fridge, as it seems to suit it.

I'm now just getting fed up waiting for the cooler to turn up so I can start to push the system to what its capable of.

4. aszbaz

aszbaz Guest

can any1 tell me where i can pick up a cheap hard drive from 200gb to 500gb? and i also needs some cheap 1gb-2gb ddr ram. thanks!

p.s i have an ethernet modem which i use for the internet. if i connected a usb wifi stick into a usb slot, could i use the pc to share the ethernet connection wirelessly? like use the pc as a router?

5. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Tiger Direct has 500GB 8MB Seagate Sata Drives $99 on Sale...

6. Neverhap

Neverhap Guest

No, you need a wireless router plugged into the Ethernet modem.

7. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

@BigDK,

That rig is awesome 8-D, i bet that you are gonna put e6600 into it limits!.

8. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

@aszbaz---
    The router does the routing, the USB stick, or in my case the PCI wireless card, does the receiving/sending.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  9. pszczoll

pszczoll Regular member

10. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Hi, I'm designing a computer and would like some input on dual cores. This computer will be used mostly for games and video playback, but also needs to handle office applications(word,excel etc.) and design programs such as AutoCAD. I am weighing my options between something on the more expensive side (AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600) or a cheaper processor like the AMD Athlon 64 4000/3800. All comments/opinions are welcome.

Thanks.

11. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Is the drive already installed on the Intel SATA port, or is it on the Jmicron port.

You may be better off just doing a clean install, but download all the drivers to a seperate drive or disk ready for the install.

I've linked to the following document plenty of times before, but it is about as good as it gets for a guide to install XP correctly, the guy has done a great job.

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

Loading the system correctly and in the right order does make a big difference to how well it works.

12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

@eparker89
    Is there a particular reason you are leaning towards AMD at the moment.

There are several Intel CPUs all within your budget that will be a better choice than the top AMD chip you listed.

The E6320, E6420, E4400, E4300 are all excellent chips and will allow a much better upgrade path in the future as AM2 is already starting to be phased out with the next versions from AMD.
    At least Intel are keeping the LGA775 design.

If you're already using an AM2 board, then any of the CPUs you listed would work ok, AMD CPUs are still very good for gaming, and you won't have any issues multitasking with the apps you've listed.

13. billybob

billybob Regular member

Ahhhh im so annoyed! I actually had something to contribute to you there greensman :(

What i was gonna say was, i picked up an AMD ATHLONG 64 x 2 4200+ off ebuyer.com for £58.50 including postage and things (i got £10 discount for using google checkout).

That was a real bargain seeings as it was about £100 a few weeks ago.... Thats 2.2ghz, dual core so im guessing that doulbes to 4.4?

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

@all thanks for your input. I went with this from newegg because there was free shipping on the cpu and they had a little bit better hs fan in my book. :)

@BigDK,
    All I can say is I like the new "fridge" you got going there. WOW!! she's a beaut mate!

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

billybob,

sorry charlie, there's 2 cores running @ 2.2ghz. the clock speed is still 2.2ghz.

greensman,

not a bad choice considering you already have an AMD socket 939 mobo. that cpu is oem however so your warrenty will only be 1 year. I'm assuming you ordered an aftermarket hsf and some artic silver 5.

BigDK,

did you get your new E6600 yet? I'm curious as to how OC friendly the new ones are and if anybody will know it will be you. :) our friend DocTY ordered a new Q6600 kentsfield quad core. he wanted a new 1333 fsb quad core but couldn't wait any longer.

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  16. billybob

billybob Regular member

*MORTIFIED*

But surely....in a way it is kind of like 4.4 ghz because for the processes that would normally clog your one core...they are being done on the other one? Sorry for the non-techincal language, im a noob at this.

So, say you were just chattin on msn messenger and some other things, wouldnt both of the cores just concentrate on the same thing?

Can you try and explain it a bit better to me please mort :)

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

it's kind of like having 2 different pc's each at 2.2ghz. you can be doing things on both at the same time without them being bogged down. the computers aren't really any faster but you can multi-task much more efficient.

18. billybob

billybob Regular member

Oh i see.

*kinda bummed*

19. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Alright, I have decided to get the E6600 as my cpu and am now looking for a gpu. What are the recommended mid-range cards that I can OC for more higher performance?

Thanks.

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hope I'm not butting in here but need a little advice!Just ordered this case & wanting to build a Dual core as close to 3GHz as possible.I D/L & Do video conversions mostly.Not interested in Gaming
    Also need a Video Card W/Dual Monitor support[1 is really a 37"LCD TV]
    A sound card W/5. or 6.,& speakers to match
    If their is something better & more reasonably priced Please inform me.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811117084
    Eagle Tech ET-CAV2-RD-WOP Red 1.0mm Aluminum Aluminum Mid-Tower Multi-Function Viper LCD Display Tool less function chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    $90.00 free after Rebate,shipping only $16.00
    I'm hoping it will be adaquate to my needs,as I can't really find a spec sheet on it.But it looks like it's got about 10 bays internal & external.I pretty much intend utilizing all the bays

This is the Power Supply I'm considering
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151028
    SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CE, CB, TUV, FCC
    $159.99

What ever Brd & Pros. I go with this is the Memory I'm considering
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145034
    CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    ($109.00 after $50.00 Mail-In Rebate)
    Now any help from here on would be appreciated
    Last Question! Is their an adapter to use Sata cables frm Power Supply to 4Pin Molex Female..All I can find is 4Pin Male.Don't even really know if the power is the same W/SATA as IDE
    Many thanks to all at AFTERDAWN for all the help over the years,this site has really become an asset to me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.