1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

YES or NO will do

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

YES or NO will do
    Read the article but did not answer my question

3. shuboy00

shuboy00 Member

You say you read the article, but that wasn't even my question and I read it and found this...

"With all things equal, a stick of DDR memory capable of running 2-2-2-5 memory timings will make the computer operating experience seem faster than a DIMM which can only operate at 3-4-4-8. This is because the delay from when the memory receives an instruction, retrieves the data, and sends it back out is less time."

Dude, you gotta understand these guys have the answers a lot of times, but the forums are also here to provide information to all, so if a link is posted, just please read the complete article. Not trying to give you a hard time at all, but I think the answer you are looking for is bolded in the quote.

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

shuboy00..I'm an old NooB.So please excuse me..Their are more articles in the world then their are Masters.As in school U learn from articles [books].But when lacking understanding U go to the master [Teacher].Now my question only really needed a simple answer [YES or NO].Now as I stated I read the article and as U were so kind as to copy it here for me to see again,it still does not answer my question.What it states is [ running 2-2-2-5 memory timings will make the computer operating experience seem faster than a DIMM which can only operate at 3-4-4-8]emphasis's on may seem to run faster
    My question was a little more direct [I think I read somewhere,that lower was faster] Which only requires YES or NO..Not trying to give you a hard time at all.
    I'm retired & I spend about 10 to 12 hours a day on the computer.I'll Betcha I've answered more questions in these forums,helped more people with what I can.Now as U can see I'm here again not only reading,but writing too.Sorry about all the wind,but again a simple YES or NO

5. shuboy00

shuboy00 Member

No worries man! Sorry I couldn't answer your question. I'm sure one of the masters on here will give you a Yes or No.

6. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

The basic answer would be...a Yes...

This was your question...
    That is why I gave you a link...It was not a simple...Yes or No question...

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Lp531,

rick5446 had me confused too. I thought he wanted an explaination also. all your answers are right.

rick5446,

the lower the cas the better. keep in mind though that as memory speed increases the cas number goes up for example, with ddr 400 cas2 and timings of 2-2-2-6 is good. with ddr2 800 cas4 and timings of 4-4-4-12 is good.

you can get higher latency with both but it will not perform as well. with ddr memory cas2 is better than cas2.5 or cas3. with ddr2 cas4 is better than cas5. normally the lower the cas number the more expensive the memory is but as the old saying goes "you get what you pay for".

you can get cas3 ddr2 memory but it's high dollar and not worth the extra money imo.

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  8. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I noticed on one of the threads here about graphic cards that someone was saying that a AGP based card will be faster than a PCI card because of the spead they run at(PCI - 33mghz, AGP8x - 266mghz). Now I always thought that the new PCI cards were better than the AGP, am I right? The same thread also said that the VisionTek VTKX1300256PCI Radeon X1300 GDDR2 Low Profile Video Card was the best PCI card out there, but in my opinion it isn't. Am I missing someting?

Thanks.

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Mort81..that helps a lot more then that article..Most articles I've read are so behind todays technology.Some articles are 2003.I do wish they would remove or update sure would help a noob like me again Many Thanks.I just knew somebody had a simple answer

10. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@eparker89
    Are you talking about PCI or PCI-Express...The two are different...
    AGP is faster than PCI...
    PCI- Express is faster than AGP...

@rick5446
    Posting to an all encompassing Article...helps Answer more questions for All...farther down the road...

11. shuboy00

shuboy00 Member

I built my new rig right, and I have an E6600 with a NVIDIA NForce 680i SLi mobo. I was wonder how can OC my E6600 so that it can get up to like 3.4GHz or something like that???

Thanks in advance.

12. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Doc Ty OC's the 680 board...Mort will know who else is running one...I would post over in the OC thread...

13. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Please remember when trying to answer questions, keep it simple, some people need it nice and simple or it all gets too confusing.

Not everyone is capable of reading articles, no matter how capable they are of asking questions with a bad attitute, it's all too much like hard work.
    So you were actaully asking, only the following:
    1:Is there an explanation?
    Or
    2:For someone to confirm if you had read that article.

Answers:
    1:Yes there are plenty of expanations.
    Or
    2: Probably not (all too much like hard work seemingly)

14. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

@Mort81, Lp531, whomever

Going back to rick's mem question: and the general rule of thumb of a lower CAS # being faster than a higher one. Is there really that much of a difference between a CAS2 or 3 stick when it comes to normal everyday computing? Meaning would one see seconds saved in load/processing time?

I've personally opted for higher CAS # sticks, because of price for one, but also I imagined it to only to affect, in nanoseconds, OC'ers and heavy users (database/3D rendering). Have I been missing out on a truly fast computing experience all these years?

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  15. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

The differences in cas are minimal...however to some it is worth it...and it is noticeable...
    One thing to consider is lower cas usually means better quality memory...To me nanoseconds add up at the end of the day...Speed is everything...

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

not really. but since the price difference between ddr cas2 and cas2.5 and the difference between ddr2 cas4 and cas5 is usually only a few dollars in relationship to the total cost, you might as well spend the extra few dollars on the better memory.

if you're spending $1,500 - 2,000 on a state of the art build, why get stingy by saving $20 - 30 on lesser quality memory.

17. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Mort
    I could not agree more...memory is not the place to skimp on a build...

18. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

The post I read did not specify PCI or PCIe. I realized that the next day and figured they must have meant PCI, not PCIe. Thanks.

On a different note though I am going to be building a system a couple weeks now and haven't figured out how I'll load the OS. Since I will be assembling the system myself, and will be using a brand new unformatted HDD, should I just put everything together and turn it on, even though the HDD doesn't have an OS installed? Or would you recomend using a HDD with an OS on it to make sure everything works and is stable?

Thanks.

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  19. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

You will want to install OS on your system after assembly...Not a big Deal...What OS are you installing?..

20. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I haven't decided yet. I was thinking about Vista but haven't done any research on it (don't know anyting about it) so I'm not sure I wan't to spend the money for it considering I can probably get XP or 2000 for free. I'd like to do a dual boot with FedoraCore or RedHat, but that can done later after I have an OS that I know installed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.