1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herrick

herrick Regular member

@Mort81

thanks for the reply...I shall wait for the Doc's opinion!

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

greensman,

make sure your cpu hsf settings in the bios is for 3 wire connector and not 4 wire molex connector.

3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Check to see if the fan speed setting is enbaled in the bios hardware section.
    Then make sure that the speed at least shows up in the bios, you should see the fan speed there at least.
    If not, you've ever got a problem on the sensor on the mobo or the fan may have a fault on it.
    Maybe move the fan onto another fan header (you should be able to jig it on to one, and see if the speed shows up on there, at the same time use another fan on the cpu header and see if that registers a speed.
    As long as you have the fan running when you're up and running, playing about with fans and headers isn't going to harm anything.

4. Zoloat

Zoloat Member

So... it's been a couple months. I had a build (posted earlier in this thread) put together, but some stuff happened and I couldn't go through with it. I've got everything back together now, though, and I've tried changing some stuff around a little and I'd like some feedback, if you don't mind. I'm still only looking at building the tower, since my monitor is still pretty new and the keyboard/speakers/mouse I have will last a little while longer.

ENERMAX Chakra ECA3052B Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
    SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814130080
    OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply - Retail
    G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK - Retail
    EVGA 122-CK-NF67-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i LT SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6420 - Retail

My intention is still to build a box that can handle going SLI or getting some more RAM/Hard Drives stuck in it. Am I on the right track, and as an aside, if I plan on OCing the 6420 quite a bit, do you guys have any recommendations on what to replace the stock cooler with?

Thanks.

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Zoloat...U might like this case better
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811208019

Anybody!! Which is a better Brd AM,940,939

I've got an gig Athlon,that I thought I might put a computer around it.But had difficulty finding a Brd,anyway found one,Foxconn K7S741GXMG-6L Motherboard 80bucks plus shipping
    So anyway went to NewEgg & found a bunch in the 100,200buck area,Brd & CPUs[AM,940,939]So I thought I'd just upgrade & toss the old 642 2.02
    Already ordered the case mentioned above
    YEP I'm the same guy who just put together a Crosshair W/AMD 6000+
    I'm old,retired,lots of money..Little crazy though.Just like doing things compulsively

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

Rick I'm slightly unsure of what you're asking. :)

You need a mobo? If so for what cpu? And are you going cheap or don't care? I can help some and there are some great guys in this thread so post and see what happens buddy. ;)

...gm

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

greensman..I've got an Athlon 642 2.02MGz,I was looking for an A Socket Brd found one as stated.But by the time I buy a fan for it seems a little costly,as the brd is 80bucks,& I guess a fan run in the 20,30buck bracket.So anyway I went window shopping at newegg & saw quite a few combo deals like this...

BIOSTAR K8M800 Micro AM2 Socket AM2 VIA K8M800 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+(65W) Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADO3800CUBOX - Retail
    SUPER TALENT 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model T6UX2GC5 - Retail

Original price: $203.98
    Discount: -$20.00
    Combo Price: $183.98
    Which I found to be a very good deal
    But really wanted to know what is the better of socket AM,940,939

8. herrick

herrick Regular member

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  9. greensman

greensman Regular member

OK got it. :)

I would go with the AM2 mobo, more upgradable and the "in thing" for AMD right now. Are you wanting to stay within some sort of budget or just really like AMD? I would look at the Intel stuff if this is something for you and money is not REAL tight. :)

...gm

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

greensman..I'm open for anything..I just put together a Crosshair & 6000+ for a grand..Just enjoyed so much I want to do another one.Was not really that enthused with that particular MOBO.It does lack a lot for add ons & is more orientated towards SATA Drives.I guess Sata is the wave of the future.So I've started looking at SATA Drives.They are just a little more costly,but coming down

11. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@herrick
    The spec's on the P/S are very good...SilverStone makes amazing cases...However...I've never used one of their P/S...

The PC Power & Cooling-Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR...will handle any thing you can throw at it...Definitely considered one of the best P/S available...

@rick5446
    Build an Intel...It will be a much faster system then the AMD's Right now...just my 2 cents...Besides you already have the AMD...

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Lp531..I take it your an Intel sorta guy..I've been using AMD since 100MGz was considered fast & that wasn't that long ago.Intel was cock of the walk & AMD was half the price.That's how I was introduced to AMD.Now they're about neck&neck.Most of what I do is with video conversions etc.From what I've been reading on the net AMD is still just a tad ahead with that..Don't really know fer sure though..But I do know when I talk to a friend of mine who does have an Intel 2.0GHz.Who calls for instructions every so often,step for step his runs a little slower then my little 1.8 Sempron.Sempron is one chip that I'm truly disappointed in,I was talked into this by a Tech who said it would be faster then my Athlon 2.02,boy was he full O shit.I truly do not think it runs at 1.8,I can fart & run to the other side of the room quicker then it can process.My old 2.02 would convert an AVI to DVD in 3/4's of what the real time was.This Fricken Sempron takes real time plus about 20mins

13. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

No...actually I am usually an AMD fan...Only since the C2Duo have I been reluctant to recommend the AMD's...The Intel are now the "Cock of the Walk" as you would say...If AMD were comparable I would recommend them...They just are not as good right now as the Intel's by any means...

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Lp531..Agree totaly the new Intel is a WOW! In price also.Nothing touching it yet.But my new 6000+ will just have to do till next week

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

@rick5446,

A starter list for you to look at and get some ideas. I think that BigDK, Lp531, or Mort81 will be better at giving you ideas on how to set it up and maybe more ideas on different components BUT as I said it's a start. :)

Mobo

Intel cpu E6420
    or
    Intel cpu E6600 for about $37 more

Case and HDD combo That's an incredible case and a great HDD :) You might look at some other deals for the SEagate HDD's. Good drives and priced well too. ;)

Thermatake psu

Video card 8600GTS

Pioneer DVR-112D IDE burner but a good'un...I have it and can walk you thru the steps to make it a better drive. :)

Lite-On 20X SATA burner

cpu hsf Artic Cooling Freezer 7 pro Supposed to be a good one if you plan to stay on air cooling. :)

Some good cheap media to go along with the puter..

I think without getting out the adding machine, LOL, the total comes somewhere near the $1100 mark. ;-)

This is just the start of the list and should be evaluated closely. :) It has most of the stuff you need and should provide you with a GOOD starting point. I'm excited for you and jealous at the same time. I want to do something close to this after Christmas. :)

...gm

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

greensman..Well Thank You that was very thoughtful..You have given me a lot of food for thought.All that U have shown me at NewEgg is very impressive.Also through the newegg pages have taught me a lot..I definetly am going to look into SATA a little deeper..Hopefully Ben-Q will come out with a SATA Burner
    Now for Media I will only use TY's & Ritek DVD-R hub printable
    It could be my Burners [Ben-Q DW1655,Teac]but Verbs have given me problems in the past,about 1 in 10 would have bad sectors,also a couple of my friends DVD Players would not play them
    What do U know about that LiteOn Burner [SATA].Good price 40bucks
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106057
    I will never buy just a DVD Drive again as long as I live,they will all have burning capabilities
    My Video card most definitely must have VIVO
    Again I say THANK YOU

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rick5446,

we've already had the intel vs AMD discussion and you know that I recommended intel although I realize you had already ordered your AMD 6000+. now there are some others here that are backing up my recommedation just to prove I'm not just an intel fanboy. if AMD was top dog I would have one myself and recommend them. intel C2D's are the best bang for the buck right now period. clock per clock nothing else even comes close.

not long ago AMD was the king and held the crown for some time but since the introduction of the C2D's they are lagging way behind in every aspect. intel already has some new and even better cpu's in the works and soon to be available with 1333 fsb and they're going to be 45nm as opposed to their current 65nm. AMD has a lot of catching up to do.

greensman gave you some good selections. I would probably opt for an asus P5B series mobo or P5W DH deluxe for increased stability.

you'll need some good memory too. may I suggest 2 gig (2 x 1 gig matched set) of corsair XMS2 DDR2 PC2 6400C4.

sata hdd's aren't a thing of the future, they are the now and have been for some time. IDE hdd's are pretty much obsolete anymore.

I doubt you will find any benq dvdrw drives except maybe on ebay. I like them too but they are no longer being made. lite-on or plextor would be my choice now. I use only verbatim dvd+r media and a drive that is bitset ready is a must.

I noticed you had some problems with verbatim dvd-r's. I feel TY makes the best dvd-r's but for dvd+r's, I've had much better success with verbatim's than with any other media, even TY.

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

@rick5446,
    As far as the Lite-On 20X Sata, I don't have it. :) I do have the 18X IDE version tho and she's a beauty. :p

I think right now there is mixed reviews on the SATA DVD burners so for me it's IDE for the time being. I really think it's just operator error but you never know.

btw BENQ is no longer making there own drives. I think Lite-On is the OEM now. I don't know how that bodes for each company but I've always liked both. ;) For some reason I like to use different drives and normally different manufacturers in my systems. It surely doesn't mean anything but you never know when you will have something go wonky. :)

I use a Lite-On and a Pioneer in my present system and a Lite-On and Samsung in my old system. Unless Pioneer starts making crap there will be another Pioneer and one of the following brands in the next build as well; Lite-On, Optiarc (Sony or NEC), or maybe another Samsung, I've had luck with the one that I have. :)

NOW the media you talk about is DVD-R and the one I linked you to is DVD+R and some of the best stuff that Verbatim makes. If you book-type it to DVD-ROM you can't go wrong my friend. I promise. :)

I'll look at some video cards if you'd like. I'm sure I can add something. Again make sure you get some other input. There are some really smart cookies in this thread. :)

...gm

edit: posted right after Mort81 came in. OOoops forgot to add memory. heheeh. Mort to the rescue!! Thanks for adding the better mobo MOrt, as always you know your stuff. :)

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Mort81..Got no use fer DVD+R..a lot of players won't recognize even if bitset.I know cause I've still got 2 of the first APEX that came out.They do recognize DVD-R Though.SATA IS THE THING OF THE FUTURE.Just ordered a 500GIG Samsung,& a Lite-On DVD Burner,both SATA HAH.I'll be using them in the Future
    Good night all got a steak i gotta go eat then to sleep

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

greensman..Again THANKS & Goodnight

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.