1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

greensman,

no problem my friend. not necessarily a better mobo but what I would personally choose since I don't use SLI and prefer the intel chipsets. I think your recommendations will go further than mine. for some reason rick doesn't trust or value my recommendations or advice. I must have ruffled some feathers at one point by recommending an E6600 over the 6000+. I was only trying to help a fellow member get the most for their money and best products. guess I need to quit doing that.

guess I don't know anything since I've been using SATA hdd's for 2 years or more. you are however now beginning to see a lot more SATA optical drives which have primarily been IDE in the past.

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Mort81..Hey Bubba don't ever quit.Its not a matter of trust,as much as a matter of choice.I read every thing U posted,& paid attention to all of it.I honestly feel their is more experience here,then any where else on this planet,I think U must feel the same being an Addict.Now being a Senior Member,this doesn't happen over night it takes time,so I've been coming here for a long time.Not taking away from Newbie statis..So just believe that all you write,& suggest is of tremendous help, and very much APPRECIATED. Without people like you and everybody else hear their would be NO CHOICE.All I can say is Thank You for your advice,it has given me more insight on future choices.I have gained a lot from everybody.I'm 60 Yrs old & still learning on a daily basis.I've bought Fords,Ive bought Chevy's,I still prefer Chrysler products,CHOICE my Friend,CHOICE!

3. taz1974

taz1974 Member

lp531

hey guys, i found out that it was a defective hard drive. so i just mailed it back to newegg today. my motherboard was not hurt at all. so as soon as i get the other one back from newegg, i hope to be up and running. im alittle worried abot newegg replacing or even fixing my other one. i bought it back in feb of this year. and just got around to putting it together when it went out. so i dont know if they will even replace it or not. i hope so.

well i just wanted to say thanks to all of you that helped me out. this is a good site and i will be back if i need to pick your brains on any thing.

thanks again,

taz1974

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rick5446,

I understand and thanks for the clearing things up. I thought I had offended you in some way and that is never my intentions :) I'm no spring chicken chick either btw.

taz,

as long as the hdd is still under warranty you should have no problems with newegg. their customer service is among the very best.

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Mort81..Your Welcome and Appreciated

6. herrick

herrick Regular member

@Lp531

Thanks for your input...for some reason at home I get the email up-date from AD but no new post...go to work and everything is there- just 20-30 post behind considering the threads I subscribe to.

@rick5446

I have 3 of those 1655 drives and they love Verbs...a matter of fact there has not been any media it has had a problem with [TY, Verbs, ridata, MIJ are about all I use] is the firmware up to date...

7. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

Hey guys,

I'm finally deciding to take the plunge on getting the new memory, from DDR to DDR2, but at the same time I figured I can get myself a better motherboard so that I can OC my C2D 6300. This VIA chipset just hates to OC, and with no Dual Channel or SATA2 support I'm just killing my CPU (though not the fastest). I plan to keep my uATX chassis so my choices are limited...can anyone suggest a decent uATX board? I the best I've seen is something built around the intel G965 chipset by MSI.
    The specs to me look good but does the 965 OC well?

Thanks all!

8. taz1974

taz1974 Member

lp531,

as far as i know. i think it had a 5 year warrenty. well from the manufactory anyways. when i did the RMA it still said that i could replace it. so i guess it was still good on there end to let me replace it. we will see. i hope i can. ive always heard that newegg was really good about replacing items. so we will see what happens.

ya'll have a good day.

taz1974

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

herrick...Firmware BCGB

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rick5446,

your f/w is a little old. the latest is BCIB. you can DL it here

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Mort81..Thank You

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rick,

you're quite welcome.

13. herrick

herrick Regular member

@ Mort81

Way to go... Ive been away from my machine.

@ rick5446

How is your drive behaving now?

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

herrick..Don't know yet I haven't flashed it.Gonna D/L the old drivers 1st JIC
    quick ques...I just bought a new 500gig 16meg mem Samsung SATA HDD.is their really that much dif. in 16 &8 meg mem
    I've noticed their is about 40bucks dif. in the 2
    This is just for future reference,as I intend to buy a couple more 500 GIG HDD

15. docTY

docTY Regular member

herrick,

don't know if you went ahead and ordered the Silverstone PSU yet, but i've only used the Zeus model, this is the one i've had VERY good results with:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/st85zf/st85zf.html

as to the powersupplies that WILL suffice for years to come (850w-1000w), i've used 5 different kinds:

1. Enermax Galaxy -1000w, i had bad experience with the very first revisions released, but got the new revision and it's been great.

2. Coolermaster 1000w Real Power Pro RS-A00-EMBA (they have a new MODULAR one that has just been released if you prefer the modular ones : RS-A00-ESBA is the modular model number).

3. PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR EPS12V 1000W - generally TOO expensive for most consumers, but PC Power & Cooling definitely live up to their reputation for some of the best PSUs in the market, no doubt about that.

4. Coolermaster Real Power Pro RS-850-EMBA (850w)- one of my most stable powersupplies ever used under the $300 price range, powers my dual 8800gtx just fine.

5. Silverstone 850w i mentioned & linked above, VERY stable and high build quality.

any of the specific ones i mentioned above will be more than enough for you, i've tested these personally running dual 8800gtx so stable power is NOT an issue.

if you would like a less expensive choice well under $150 mark, i would recommend the OCZ GameXStream 700w, the Thermaltake 750w Toughpower, or the Enermax Liberty series. i've used all those for my "less powerful" builds in the past (AMD systems) and all 3 WILL run a single Nvidia 8800gtx with no problems. i wouldn't suggest anything lower than a good, reliable 850w PSU if you want to go SLI w/ dual 8800gtx and would even recommend an 850w model for 8800gts in SLI as well~ :)

my OCZ, THermaltake, and Enermax PSUs were running Nvidia 7900gtx's in SLI (and ATI x1900xtx in Crossfire for 2 months), but as you well know, the 7900gtx don't need nearly as much power as the 8800 series. :)

hope that narrows down your decision, as mentioned above, i have personally tested these on my own builds (among a few others by Ultra, BFG, and Tagan that i would NOT recommend because of my problems with them further down the road- not that they were poor powersupplies, but those 3 companies gave me more grief than anyone should have to go thru with a PSU).

docTY

16. herrick

herrick Regular member

@ The doc

Thanks my friend for your time and effort, Now I have something to think about and options...I plane on iether running 2 7900s or 7950s not sure yet...what ever does the best job, after I look into it.

again thanks

17. docTY

docTY Regular member

no problem~ :)

if you plan on using the 7900 series in SLI, the less expensive 850w or the 3 700w-750w PSUs will do the job just fine, even save you $100+ in the process~ good luck with your choice~

docTY

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

Wait a minute did you guys see a "doc" run thru??

Hey docTY how are things buddy? Good here. :)

Thru your name out a time or two, hopes that's ok buddy. I try to remember word for word but sometimes something gets lost in translation. I think I was accurate. ;) At least I knew you had/have a SilverStone psu and Pioneer DVR-109 drive. LOL.

Thanks for stopping by and imparting the usual education. ;)

....gm

19. docTY

docTY Regular member

hi buddy, yeah, had some time to do my blitzkreig run thru this forum, things are busy, but good! thanks, hope all is well for you too

i dont' mind you throwing out my name, if someone can use the help from me because i have experience with a particular component, ask them to PM me....no worries~ :) you know i'm not as regular as i once was in staying up to date with the forums/posts, but i still do check my PM's weekly~ LOL

how'z ur new dual core AMD working out for you? i've only skimmed that last few pages of this thread, so if you posted something about it i may have missed it. it's so difficult keeping up with technology, i just recently went the quad-core route and i can say i've been rather disappointed in OC'in when compared to my dual core OC'in :( i know it's two different platforms, but after my success w/ the C2D, i was hoping i would get similiar results from the Quads...oh well~ :)

have a good one.

docTY

20. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi DocTY!
    Same here about OCing the quad core compared to the C2D. My E6600 runs stable at 3.4 with very little Vcore or other voltage changes. On the other hand, I can't get the the QX6700 past 3.05 even when pushing Vcore past 1.5 volts. I haven't pushed the MCH past 1.75 volts.

It's even tough to get a beliveable temperature reading. There is a big variation in what different temp programs read which doesn't make things any easier.
    Being pretty much a newbie at all of this, I would really like to avoid frying the $$$ quad core so I backed everything back to stock settings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.