1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docTY

docTY Regular member

hi fasfrank!

it's been ages since we've crossed paths here on AD, i remember "back in the days" when i used to contribute heavily in the dvd media forums and the optical drive forums and saw you there quite often :)

i notice from your sig. you are using the Asus P5W-DH Deluxe and the current "top model" Kentsfield quad core (i am using the Q6600 one step below your chip) :) late last year i was using the same Asus mobo you are using now, but have since changed to an Nvidia EVGA 680i mobo for all my overclocking (ie. the 680i "A1" revision for my quad and the 680i "AR" revision for my dual-core) i think we choose to use very similar equipment as i also have an E6600 C2D on my other eVGA 680i (that was the chip that got me into the "4ghz club" on water, but i don't run it that high 24/7, it's usually around 3.8ghz-3.9ghz depending on my routine for the day) :)

i suppose i COULD try my OC'in success (or lack thereof) on the P5W-DH Deluxe, but that would mean me taking apart my dad's rig. i built for him just to "experiment" some more~ LOL i overclocked my father's system using an E6600 running @ 3.4ghz 24/7 (much like you) with vcore @1.4v using Zalman 9700LED air cooling. it runs smooth and stable, quite fast performance-wise and all that my dad wants, i need not go higher for his computing needs. :)

hitting 3.4ghz MAX OC for my quad-core is a fairly decent achievement in most enthusiast's eyes, but for me, i sincerely was hoping for 3.6ghz :) (i'm somewhat extreme like that) i easily had my E6600 to 3.6ghz within 2 days of building my first Conroe system on the Asus P5W-DH Deluxe and it was on AIR cooling at that time w/ a hair higher than 1.4v Vcore too! since i purchased the earliest revision of the P5W-DH deluxe (shortly after it first came out), i really couldn't increase the MCH much as it was limited in the earlier mobos. i haven't upgraded to the newer revision, so i keep my dad's P5W-DH MCH on "auto" and it seems to be enough lol.

what type of cooling are you using on your quad if i may ask? are the temps getting "too high for your liking" pumping 1.5v+ ? i personally tend to trust Everest Ultimate Edition cpu readings for my own purposes, however, the program doesn't work correctly for a few people here on AD, but it works just fine for me. i know from first hand experience that the Nvidia Ntune/Control Panel program that is commonly used for Nvidia based mobos, the temp readings are completely OFF! by like 20-30C! so, even on Nvidia based mobos, they still need to work on the software side of things :)

does Asus PC Probe II work well for you? that's what i used on my own Asus P5W-DH deluxe, it was just as accurate as my BIOS readings...perhaps give that a shot? i haven't kept up with the P5W-DH BIOSes lately, but for your sake, i'm hoping they come out with a new one to improve quad-core overclocking...the mobo itself is more than capable, i think a BIOS update should improve things in the near future.

good luck

docTY

2. crailtap

crailtap Member

ok guys, im totally new to building PCs and need some help. the biggest problem for me is finding out whats compatible. I have a budget of $850-$950. Ill be using this for gaming (Battlefield 2, WoW, Halflife 2. ect). Possibly watching TV if i get a TV tuner. Ill be getting an HD monitor if that matters... I know i want to go with an AMD athlon processor. From there on im pretty much lost.. If anyone could help me find the best for my budget (and all compatible) that'd be great! Thanks!

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

Is the $850-$950 just for the computer or does it need to include everything? Keyboard, mouse, monitor and such. ;)

ARE you locked in on AMD or will you consider Intel if we can get you something around the $950 mark? The Intel will get you a better computer and more "upgradeable" in the future if that's a word. lol.

....gm

4. crailtap

crailtap Member

the "around $850-$950" is just the tower... I had been thinking of intell but.. i work at circuit ciy and mentioned it to one of the firedog pc techs.. the he flipped out.. he showed me all these benchmarks about how much better amd was than intel. I'd like to stay with AMD becasue of the stuff he told me, but if intel is truly just as good, I'd just go with whatever i can get the best bang for the buck from

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

greensman is correct in stating that intel is the way to go right now and will give you the best bang for the buck. clock per clock there is no dual core AMD cpu that can even compete with the intel core 2 duo's.

not to disrespect your firedog pc tech but he is obviously behind in current tech. not long ago AMD was the king but ever since the release of the intel core 2 duo's, AMD has been playing catch up in every respect and is still quite a ways behind.

the intel E6600 at stock 2.4ghz ($224.90) will compete with and in most cases outperform even the top end AMD athlon 64 X2 6000+ @ 3.0ghz and if OC'ed a little to 2.8ghz or 3.0ghz it will walk all over it. at stock 2.4ghz it will also walk all over the opteron 185 @ 2.6ghz.

one step down and also a good choice is the E6420 @ 2.13ghz. both these cpu's have 4M L2 cache.

if you want to see some benchmarks comparing AMD dual core cpu's to intel C2D cpu's, I can provide you with some.

6. crailtap

crailtap Member

alright, so i guess ill be going with intel now... Anyone have any idea on the other hardware or could someone possibly give me a list with some links or product numbers? Thanks for all your help!

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

crailtap,

All ideas and not written is stone my friend. :)

Intel cpu

Case

mobo - look at the combo deals with the memory, there is an ASUS and Gigabite mobo (I think the ones Mort81 was referencing)

memory (corsair DDR2 800)

power supply

video card

HDD

DVD-RW #1

DVD-RW #2

Sony floppy drive

IDE cable for DVD-RW drives

SATA cable for HDD (I would get 2 of different color in case you add another HDD later)

cable for floppy

I normally forget something so I may add later or wait for one of the 'guru' type fellows to kick in too. :)

Total right now is $898.89 + shipping and tax if applicable, also you will have $100 in REBATES so the TOTAL should be under $900. YEAH!!!

....gm

EDIT: to change link for mobo and memory!! Silly link didn't go to the memory and mobo combo for some reason. I did pick the Corsair memory Mort81, I've learned something but not much. hehehe. :)

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Doc,
    Nice talking with you again!
    I have put overclocking the QX6700 on the back burner for now. The E6600 is a great overclocker compared to the quad core... At least with the Asus mobo. I have not found any voltage readings I can believe, besides it seems to run hot... hard to tell what the actual temps are though because every program gives me a different reading.

For cooling I'm running a Thermalright SI-128 with a 120mm Scythe fan:

[​IMG]

I've got the E6600 running very stable at 3.5 Ghz so I'm happy with that.

Here is a pix of it:

[​IMG]

@greensman,
    Nice choices. I'll be the first to suggest a change, lol....
    Instead of two burners why not a DVD-ROM and a burner?

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

greensman,

your link to mobo and memory combo go to empty shopping cart. I would suggest a mobo with the intel 965 or 975 chipset. possibly an asus P5W DH Deluxe or P5B series or a gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 series unless you plan on upgrading to runing two cards in SLI later and then I would recommend a mobo with the nvidia 680i chipset.

as always I recommend a matched set of corsair XMS2 DDR2 PC2 6400 memory, 1 or 2 gb. I would also suggest a 3.0gb/s 16mb cache hdd, maybe one similiar to this depending on what size he wants.

if you get a retail mobo, it should include sata cables. might want to go with a 24" instead of a 18" round IDE cable to be safe.

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

crailtap..This is what I just ordered..Check out the case it has a Hydraulic front..just push a bttn & down she goes..Lots of rm,very good looking & sturdy

Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811208019
    XION Hydraulic XON-566TB Black with Blue LED Light Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    $79.99 Shipping $15.99
    ($49.99 after $30.00 Mail-In Rebate)

MOBO
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153059
    JetWay JM2GT3-PTD Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
    $59.99 Shipping $6.13

Prosser
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor
    $230.99 + Free

MEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609219
    SUPER TALENT 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    73.99+4.99

PowerSupply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148022
    PSU APEVIA(ASP)|ATX-AS680W-BL RT $109.99 40.00 Rebate

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

crailtap..This is what I just ordered..Check out the case it has a Hydraulic front..just push a bttn & down she goes..Lots of rm,very good looking & sturdy

Case
    XION Hydraulic XON-566TB Black with Blue LED Light Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    $79.99 Shipping $15.99

MOBO
    $59.99 Shipping $6.13

Prosser
    $230.99 + Free

MEM
    SUPER TALENT 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    73.99+4.99

PowerSupply

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Case
    $79.99 Shipping $15.99

MOBO
    $59.99 Shipping $6.13

Prosser
    $230.99 + Free

MEM
    73.99+4.99

PowerSupply

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Sorry about the triple post..my computer & I have not been getting along lately

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

Told you I would forget or overlook something. :)

Mort81 I chose the Corsair memory but for some reason the link didn't work so I fixed it. ;) Yep forgot about the retail mobo including sata cables. Oops. :)

crailtap,
    Morty's on the case now. He's a smart cookie so listen. :) I fixed the memory link and there should be some combo deals with it that have 2 of the mobo's that Mort81 mentioned. :)

HDD Seagate 16MB cache page

HTH....

...gm

15. crailtap

crailtap Member

thanks alot guys

16. docTY

docTY Regular member

@fasfrank

very nice picture of your C2D system...i really like the Tsunami case, it's clean and has good airflow and plenty of space.

i don't have a good digital camera at this time (dSLR in the shop for repairs) or i'd put up pics of my own rigs, but just wanted to commend you for a nice looking setup & nice OC :)

i like the THermalright Ultra Extreme -120 i got recently for AIR cooling, i've put both a Scythe and a high CFM Silverstone fan on it to compare and it performs great using either.

docTY

17. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Thanks Doc,
    I wanted a somewhat subdued case but still have the clear side window and the Tsunami seemed to fit the bill for $115.00. It has it's faults but heck what doesn't? I enjoyed the build.

I ran Orthos for about 6 hours with no problems. SpeedFan and CoreTemp both showing 54°C on both cores at 100% load, 3.5 Ghz cpu speed.

I may try to re-apply the thermal compound. All I had at the time was the stuff that came with the Zalman. I've got some AS Céramique now so I'm going to see if that makes any difference.

I see that Arctic Silver has some excellent application instructions for different cpu types so I may give that a go rather than the way I was putting it on. Here's a link if anyone is interested:
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Anybody can U tell me the difference in Arctic Silver &
    Arctic Silver 5.I need to pick up a tube.Might just as well get the best

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Another Question..is their a significant difference in DIRECT X 8 & 9 on video cards ? Also significant difference on PCI SLOT vs PCI Express x16

20. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Arctic Silver 5 is a thermal compound, Arctic Silver is a permanent thermal adhesive. For heatsinks on CPUs use AS5 or AS Céramique.

I use Céramique because it is non-conductive.

According to the AS website, AS5 is slightly better than Céramique by about 1°C.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.