1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bilal123

bilal123 Regular member

Hi there i just recieved parts for my new pc.

And now when i have installed them the system is not turning on. There i a LED that turns on in the motherboard but thats it.

On the PSU there are also 2 wires called CPU1 and CPU2. Should i plug this in the ATX 12V connector.

At the moment i have the one that is joined onto the cable that says MAIN which is plugged in the EATXPWR.

My PSU is OCZ 600W, mobo is Asus P5N32 and i have a E6600.

Also this is the first time that i am building.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

See page 2-30 of your manual.

Connect the cpu1/cpu2 wire to the ATX12V connector on the board. You have to have that connected or your system will not turn on.
    I'm trying to look at a pix of the leads from the two different 600W OCZ power supplies at Newegg. Can't tell much but if the connector will plug into it, do so. That connector on the board is for cpu power and the leads are labeled cpu1/2 so I'm pretty sure you connect it there.

That 4 pin plug in the bundle connects along side the 20 pin connector into the EATXPWR connector on the board.

BTW they call this a 20+4 connector. Notice how they key together?
    Hopefully some of the more experenced folks will verify what I told you.

3. bilal123

bilal123 Regular member

yes thats exactly what i have done.

And it powered on for a second then went off.

I have both the CPU1 and CPU2 cables in as well. Should i only have one of these in the motherboard?

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  4. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Does anyone know where I can find a X1950XTX for sale? I saw them on newegg a while ago but it seems I waited too long to buy it.

Thanks.

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

@bilal123,
    What is the entire model number of your OCZ psu? You mobo?
    All the pictures of the P5N mobo have the same cpu power connector layout. I'm looking at P5N32-E SLI Plus.

From the manual:
    Hopefully you are reading your manual as you are plugging stuff in.

So....
    If you have the OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS ATX12V / EPS12V 600W Power Supply, it has the EPS12V connector. Pull the cap and plug the 8-pin connector in.

If you have the OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply,(I think this is the one you have) you have only the ATX12V connector. Leave the cap on and plug CPU1 into the un-capped part of the connector. Leave plug CPU2 unconnected.

I guess you got the main 24-pin ATX connector plugged in OK.

Again, I'm no expert on this and all I can do is go by the same info you have. Hopefully one of our experts will have something to add.

BTW,
    Make sure your memory is installed in the correct slots (blue and blue for dual channel with 2 equal sticks) and everything is seated correctly.

Double check everything you installed/plugged in.

Make sure the clips on your RAM are latched.

I really hope your processor is installed correctly. I think that's a "you had better get it right the first time" deal. Those 775 trap-doors will crunch an incorrectly installed cpu.

Your mobo screws should be snug but not too much. Finger-tight and then an extra 1/4 turn should do it.

Thats all the newbie(me!) advice I can think of.

From greensman:

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  6. bilal123

bilal123 Regular member

Thank you very much. After double checking the leads it still never went so after that i followed ur and my friends advice of loosening the screws and it worked.

I also took out the different screws.

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

The mobo screws were the problem?

That was just a general recommendation on my part, not a solution, lol.
    I'm glad you got it working!

8. bilal123

bilal123 Regular member

lol...thanks for your solution.

9. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Hi, I ended up with a thermaltake toughpower 750watt psu and an NZXT Zero case. Unfortunately they are incompatible and I must replace one or the other. Are there any equivalent replacements for either one that would work with the other?

Thanks for your help.

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

11. 1211121

1211121 Member

just built a new pc for £300 ($470 according to the internets), i mainly use it for games programming, net browsing and sometimes the odd retail game and downloading random films or whatever

Asrock 939nf6g-vsta motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego (Socket 939)
    cool blue CPU fan
    Antec nsk4400 case (+psu)
    1.5gb DDR ram (3*512mb, 1 stick from old pc, i know it'll stop it running dual mode but a mate is giving away 2 sticks of 512DDR free since he's building himself a gaming rig in about a fortnight)
    nvidia 7600GT
    320gb total over 2 IDE hard drives (salvaged from old pc)
    1*17" and 1*15" LCD monitors (2nd hand off a mate but not that old, had two 15" CRTs on old pc but i decided it'd be a nice change to be able to see my tabletop)
    lite-on DVD-RW (forget model) (salvaged from old pc)
    320GB Sata HDD
    Running XP pro 64
    some random no-name "for best ports connection" pci IDE controller card so i don't have to throw away my old IDE drives (motherboard only has one ide port). got it for about £5 off ebay and it took a while finding xp64 drivers but got there eventually.

nothing's overclocked since i don't really need it, my older pc i'd had for 5 years, some 512mb ddr and 1.8ghz amd xp2200 with a whopping 64mb of raw graphics ram (sexy, i know) and it was still pretty well up to spec, just had to call it a day on that one after age had started making it act a bit crazy so it was up and down, but this spec should last until the components die in terms of what i'll be using it for

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  12. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

greensman,

Thanks for you advice, though I realized too late what my mistake was. The case I have has a fan on the top that prohibits access to the modular cabling inputs of the psu. I ended up just getting a psu without modular cabling (ended up saving ~30US).

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok ive been looking all the week at parts and such, this here is what i have came up with, what i think i want adn need. is everyting i got here compatibale with each other? i think so but not really sure with the heat sink and maybe the card reader..

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811133008
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131142
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814130062
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817153052
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819115014
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145590
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820223076
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822148246
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16829102006
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835106606

had to add a soundcard. not to sure i need this
    this totals $843 i dont need any dvd drives have plenty for this build.Am i missing or more like forgetting anything?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  14. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

cincyrob your forgetting a GPU

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

just made some corrections to my list.. as far as the cooler goes from what i have read about the CPU do i need this cooler? im not gonna be doing much gameing just burning dvds and rippin music and such. adn the sound card do i really need that?

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

cincyrob,

your list doesn't go to a specific piece of hardware, it goes to a whole list. eg: the mobo link goes to a whole list of asus mobo's, some AMD compatable and some intel compatable, but not to a specific one. click on the specific piece of hardware your interested in and replace the link with it.

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

@cincyrob,
    what Mort81 said. I'll be on later and add something if need be. :) Cool to see you building your own. Hopefully you don't do what I did. "CHEAP" is not the way to go. Inexpensive is ok but GET name brand trustworthy equipment. :p

Happy Father's Day to all........ ;)

....gm

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

sorry bout that i dont know why those links didnt work. hope these do now.

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

@cincyrob,
    I'm adding some things with questions added. :)

This board may better serve you unless you really plan on going SLi. It has good onboard sound and does away with the sound card. NOW if you want to add a BUMPIN sound system I would consider adding the sound card but not necessary IMO. ;)

asus board w/o SLi - intel chipset

E6420 Core 2 Duo The money saved on the sound card should go here, has better cache and speed over the E4400

I like this fan better, cheaper and still a Thermaltake

I think the rest of your choices are pretty good. I want to wait for Mort81 or Lp531 to post and see what they think about the PSU and case. I'm thinking that you should get a little bigger PSU just cause you might add another HDD or 2 and run more than 2 Optical drives. :)

...gm

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

oh there will be at least 3 opt drives in it for sure..lol
    that case holds 4 opt.drives i think it is adn has 2 slots for floppydrive, but all i need is 1 for the card reader..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.