1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I have to agree with greensman on the cpu and mobo. if you think you might want SLI later, go with a mobo with the 680i NB as opposed to the 650i. some other suggestions I might add are:

I like this cpu hsf even better and it's not much more. the one you selected is not a whole lot better than oem.

I would also recommend this memory as it is cas 4 as opposed to cas 5.

a little larger psu sure wouldn't hurt but the one you selected would most likely do. I have one of these and really like it but not everybody likes them.

I would also go with a 16mb cache as opposed to 8mb hdd. I'm a western digital fanboy.

you can't hardly find any mobo's for more than 2 IDE drives anymore. you may have to get an IDE card to put in one of your PCI slots if you want to run more than two IDE drives. or you can get some SATA optical drives.

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

great info guys. as far as the SLI. i doubt i will be going that route anywhere in the near future.
    @mort81
    good point about it IDE card. i do have 3 drives that i want to put in it and none of them are sata hookups. so that gives me a excuse to get sata burner...lol more money i can take from the wife.

how about this HDD here
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148138

edit to add

ive just done some updateing on my wishlist again at newegg(im sure i could hunt around and find the same parts a few $ cheaper but hell get it all from the same place). im at $715 minus shipping.
    ive changed HDD to the 16mb cache(400gb still) changed mem, changed PSU. is there anything like cables or anthing i might need to get this up and running? isnt there like some grease or something needed for the heat sink?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

another question. i have windows XP HE SP2. but it is on the recoveory disc from HP can i use these to install windows XP or am i gonna have to buy XP again?

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

ARtic Silver 5

...gm

ooops forgot to add, your HP disc won't work AFAIK. ;)

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

@rick,
    I think that he wants to use SATA HDD's because he is gonna run at least 3 Optical drives. Good deal on those 500 GB HDD's tho. :)

...gm

I like this WD 500 for $115 delivered. :)

IDE round cable for Optical drives

Shouldn't need SATA cables cause they should come with the mobo... ;)

Here's 3 SATA drives to look at by Lite-On... just in case you decide to buy one... :)

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

cincyrob,

they make an assortment of different colored and lengths of round IDE cables. 24" are the most common but some can get by with 18" and some need 30" or longer. make sure to get a three connector cable to run two optical drives on one IDE channel. look at these

here's where I get my round IDE cables. you can get round floppy cables too if you decide to install a floppy drive.

what cpu hsf did you decide to go with?

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

cincyrob,
    Mort81 brings up a good point by mentioning the floppy drive. They are cheap as you know what and you just need one sometimes. I've needed one many times but didn't have one installed so I just took one out of an old puter and used it. :)

I would look at these and pick any of the ones under $8, they're good enough for your needs and are black to match your case. :)

....gm

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

sorry for the slow response, got sicker than a old dog yesterday afternoon..better now

here is the heatsink im gonna go with.
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835186134

as i mentioned to Greensman. i am most likely to get the MOBO and CPU this comeing weekend(order it that is) and the rest i will get slowly over the next month or two. gotta get them when the budget allows..lol

11. escalante

escalante Regular member

I'm not sure where I should put this so I'm just going to ask here since you guys seem to be very knowledgeable when it comes to these things. I can't build a computer myself, but I just wanted opinions on this system and if it's a good deal financially. Here's the link: http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/Store/Configurator.aspx?mid=97&c=977883

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

escalante,
    It just shows an error when you click the link. :)

....gm

13. crowy

crowy Guest

I'll confirm that.

14. escalante

escalante Regular member

Hmm, dang it. Here is the pre-configured one: http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=97

The case is going to be: Thermaltake Armor Jr. Gaming Case w/420W Power Supply (2nd choice)

The processor is going to be: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6700 (2x 2.66GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1066FSB)(4th choice)

The cooling system is going to be: Thermaltake V1 CPU Cooling Fan System Kit (last choice)

The rest is going to remain the same unless someone can reasonably suggest otherwise.
    I only had a budget of 1 grand but I'm going over a bit :)

15. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I think I'd save a few bucks by picking a different case, like the standard one.

I'd scratch the Cold Cathode Neon Light as well.

Also I'd get the E6600 cpu instead of the E6700.

I'd upgrade the power supply to at least the 550 Watt (I'd want to know the brand name so I'd only consider the 750 watt Thermaltake... but that's going to be overkill unless you plan on running SLI.)

That Thermaltake V1 CPU Cooling Fan System Kit is good because....

A mild overclock on the E6600 will out perform a stock clocked E6700.

A larger power supply will help "future proof" your rig.
    My opinion is that performance comes first when on a budget. You can always get a different case and add lights and such later.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  16. docTY

docTY Regular member

ooh cincyrob steppin it up! nice~ :) suggestions by my buddies Mort + Greensman are quite good for what the new pc will be used for~

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks for the vote of confidence buddy. You are the MAN tho. hehehe.

I know that cincyrob is steppin in something let's just hope it doesn't stink to bad. :p

Hey rob,
    What are you going to get first? The cpu and mobo? I'm jealous, but maybe around Christmas or after the New Year I can do the same upgrade. :) Wish I could be there to help you put that bad boy together when you get started. Good luck and happy building, scanning, burning, or whatever you decide to do in the near future. :p

....gm

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@greensman

im gonna get the MOBO and CPU first and go from there when i can get the rest.. hopeing i can order them tomorrow

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

hey got a question for the guru's

a friend has a new toshiba laptop with vista on it. can he install XP on it without wipping vista off of it

20. Neverhap

Neverhap Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.