1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Jeffro716---It seems as you are trying to keep things in a budget and that can be hard with so many toys out there :)

ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply---Combo deal right? Only trust reputable PSU makers. 350 is low to begin with, let alone by a generic manufacturer.

Intel Pentium D 805 2.66 ghz processor---Intel Core 2 Duo has is the best right now. Even the cheapest of them is better than the Pentium D if I'm not totally wrong.
    A board that works with C2D and good RAM and you will be set.
    Look for those basics than build around it.

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

Jeffro716,
    What is the computer going to be used for?

Like Deadrum said watch the "combo" deals that offer a PSU with the case. If you're going to do that get NAME brand for sure. :)

A link to the components you're thinking about would do some good too. That way everyone can see what you're looking at and make suggestions if need be. ;) Do you have a budget or do you just want an internet beater?

Trying to help. :) Let us know buddy and we'll do what we can. :D

...gm

3. jeffro716

jeffro716 Member

4. crowy

crowy Guest

jeffro716,
    The video card you have chosen wont be compatible with that board as it's AGP and the board is pci-e.

Have a look for a board with pci-e and look for a pci-e card.(AGP is old tech)

5. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

If you want a video card that will support most games you will have to go with a PCI x16 express video card, agp is really old. Also if you want to play some upcomming games you will need a card that supports direct x 10

btw NEVER ever use a PSU that come with a case, they blow and their wattage is always overated! I used one and it died after 20 days

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  6. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

Here is the list of parts I am planning on using to build a computer, what do you think?
    CPU ????? wait for 45nm
    RAM Patriot Extreme Performance 2 x 1GB PC2-6400 $152.99
    MOTHER BOARD wait
    GRAPHICS CARD Not Sure
    CASE Thermaltake VC3000BWS $114.99
    Power Supply OCZ GameXstreem 700w $142.99
    CPU Heatsink and Fan Zalman CNPS-9700LED $76.99
    Dvd drive LG w/lightscribe $40.79
    Hard drive 160gb seagate $61.99
    Subtotal $590.74
    TAX $82.70
    TOTAL $673.44

I am hoping to keep the build under $1200CND after the mobo cpu and graphics card are included, I want the system to last a long time, i would do a very small amount of gaming on it.

Any one know when I can expect 45nm processors and mobos support them to come out? and will i have to get ddr3?

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

jeffro,

This case might be better just because of the 100 extra watts. I like the layout too.

I like this mobo better. :) sound and south bridge are better imo.

this GPU
    for the few extra bucks you get some real performance differences. ;)

this RAM Corsair valueselect

WD 250GB It has SATA and is 90GB bigger for $20 more and free shipping. OH and it's a WD. :)

These 2 monitors seem to be more for the "money" ;) 19" .... 20.1"

Lite-on LH-20A1H More capabilities with this drive. Cool f/w and such. Still a LIte-on but more proven at this point. :)

This hsf Looks like more for your money ;)

I don't want to seem like I changed everything but I'm trying to get you more for your money. Your initial purchase will be a few dollars more but with the MIR and savings from discounts and FREE shipping it should come out about the same for you. :) Take a look at this and see what the others say about the changes. With the budget it seems you want to stay on this is a good setup and should last a while. :D

8. jeffro716

jeffro716 Member

great! thanks for the help. I will make serious considerations to these changes.

9. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

alot of the stuff he changed looks good, but if your doing lots of gaming you need to remember that the x16 slot on that mobo only goes at 4x. also I still highly recomend NOT using a PSU that is included with any case.

the nice thing about that video card is that you can bridge it if you ever get another card that is the exact same. But you will need 2 x16 slots on your mobo

10. crowy

crowy Guest

jeffro716,
    Have to agree with mikeh0303 on this one.

The psu's included with most cases are at best average and will almost definitely fail at some point regardless of the claimed power rating(350watt or 1350watt or wattever!!!) which means dead pc and more expense in the long run.

I'm wondering if you can utilize your existing case and spend the money you save on a decent psu?...Just a thought.

11. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

reusing an old case is a really good idea! it would be funny to put a really good computer in a terrible looking case! here is a link to a good PSU for your price http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=006901&cid=PS.808

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

jeffro716,

this is a much better deal on memory. twice as much (2gb as oppossed to 1gb, a lot faster (DDR2 800 as oppossed to DDR2 533), the good stuff as oppossed to value select, only $11.00 more.

I would suggest a better/brand name mobo such as asus, gigabyte, or evga. I would also suggest an intel core 2 duo even if it is near the bottom of the line speed wise like the E4300. clock per clock nothing (excluding quad core cpu's) can compete with the intel C2D's but I would even recomend an AMD X2 cpu over the pentium D 805.

I like the video card greensman suggested over the X1650 and the hdd too.

13. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Doesnt this build need an OS? Jeffro are you transferring Windows from another PC? On a budget build it can be the most expensive purchase.

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

GOOD additions guys.

I was trying to stay in the cheap arena. LOL. Jeffro I agree with the "changes" that these guys have suggested but I don't know your "budget".

Why don't you give us a round $$$$ figure so we can have some fun spending your dough. :)

With the addtions these guys have made I think you would only increase your budget about $300 or so. I would have to look at it closely but that sounds right. :)

....gm

15. jeffro716

jeffro716 Member

hey guys, thanks a lot for all your help. I have made my final decisions for my pc. I don't have an old case to put the pc in (right now i just have a laptop) and I am going to end up spending $543 which is like $585 with the shipping. You probably are not going to like my final decision that much because I have only made I think one or two changes but I think I will be happy with it. Thanks again.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To jeffro:
    I've had an inwin power supply with a pre-made PC, and it was actually really good, albeit low wattage. As for which case you go for it doesn't really matter. However, I would still recommend being on the safe side and buying a proper PSU, such as this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817128005

Aim higher than the Jetway motherboard, it uses an old interface and is under-featured, plus I'm not confident in the quality of them much either. I admit greensman has already suggested one, but how about this?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188017

The 7600GT posted is much faster and therefore better value.
    The D805 is already good for the price.

As for the Hard drive, I have barely heard anything about Excelstor, so I'd recommend getting the WD drive that greensman posted.
    Sceptre monitors are also far better than Hanns-G, so go with one of those.

Heatsink, memory (that Mort posted), DVD drive and monitor are all fine.
    I presume you're reusing your old OS, keyboard and mouse?

As for your final decision, I simply beg you not to use the pwoer supply that came with a case. Stuff all the other parts, that is the single most important decision you must ever make.
    Keep us posted how the build goes.

Moving onto Mikeh, you've got $530 spare there, for a board, GPU and CPU.
    45nm CPUs are still going to be a while before they arrive, and although DDR3 is out, it shouldn't be a necessity. I'd stick with an E6600, and the DDR2. I don't expect a big initial improvement from DDR2, only that the CPUs run cooler, and with a CNPS9700, heat isn't going to be a problem.
    Adding an E6600 will cost $250 from tigerdirect.ca, leaving you $280 for the GPU and motherboard.
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2529929&CatId=1533
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2207285&Sku=E145-7858
    If you can squeeze a few more dollars, how about these?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  17. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

Mabey I will put a little more money into my computer, i dont like only having 280 for a mobo and graphics. adding 200 dollars would allow me to spend 480 on the mobo and graphics

thanks for your help,

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd stick with the same mobo regardless, although you could push higher on the GPU if you wish.

19. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

i was looking for one with 2 or more x16 slots, i might go with an asus

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Do you use another x16 card or were you looking for SLi or Crossfire? If you're on a budget I wouldn't recommend a dual graphics setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.