1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffro716

jeffro716 Member

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You stuck with the power supply that came with the case? I sincerely hope you get lucky mate. Not many people do these days. Fizz pop bang and all that, you've been warned.

3. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,
    ROFL!!!

4. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

now if you dont want your processor to blow up because its fan is not getting enough power I would get another PSU if i were you, it almost happened to me with a PSU that came with a case. all the fans started going slow then fast then slow when non of them were set to optimal.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol well, I had to show I was serious somehow!

6. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

@jeffro716

Aside from what everyone has said I have built many server systems using Athenatech/Supermicro cases. So rest assured they are not as small a company as many other brands out there. Out of say 20 builds, I had only 1 PSU problem which was 2 years after I had built the system. I hope that the quality hasn't changed much since, but even though the PSU may be fine, 350W is a bit low for systems today. I too would reccommend looking into a new PSU sooner than later.

Another thing...I am running a board, ABIT IP-95, using the same VIA P4M890 chipset as the Jetway you chose. You need to ensure that your WinXP CD is SP2, otherwise you will get BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) errors while trying to install the OS. If the CD is in fact SP1 and lower you will need to "slipstream" SP2 with the CD you have now...just google it.

Lastly there is a new VIA Hyperion PRO driver out, ver 5.12A. This release has a more refined IDE/SATA driver, as opposed to ver 5.11A, and now includes support for e-SATA(external SATA) drives.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

jeffro,

I realize that you are on a budget and a lot of the recommendations we've provided just won't fit into it but one thing you have overlooked that will help the performance of your build is dual channel memmory. the mobo you've selected doesn't support dual channel memory and you will need to buy a matched set of memory. you can still get by with only 1gb of memory but you need to buy 2 512mb sticks (matched set) to run dual channel.

you can always replace the PSU later (that's no big deal) but the mobo and memory are major components and you need to start with ones that already incorperate features such as dual channel memory. the mobo you chose doesn't support it and dual channel won't work with only 1 stick of memory.

I highly recommend starting out with a better name brand mobo that supports dual channel memory and that is more feature rich and at least 2 x 512mb DDR2 800 memory or better yet 2 x 1gb DDR2 800.

8. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

I don't get it. I have been reading about how to build a perfect PC. Anyway, I lack the knowledge of which parts go with which. My question is, since I am a newbie and have no experience or anything, I am totally ignorant of building a PC, how you do know what components to buy and what parts do fit or match another part?For example, how do you know whether this CPU will fit the motherboard you buy? And how do you know the sound card, graphic card or even the power supply that will fit each other? This is what I don't get it. I need some help.

I need the best out of the best. I am a gamer and also a graphic designer...That's why I need a perfect PC. I wanna gain some experience from building it but I am, as stated above, completely ignorant of the PC components.

9. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Jinkazuya
    I know it can be confusing as to what parts work with another...If you need help...you came to the right place...Give us a budget...We will give you the best bang for the buck...

10. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

$1000 Without monitor.
    $1500 Without monitor.
    $2000 Without monitor.

I have three requests...Would you mind explaining what the advantages of each of the above are such as what I have if I buy all parts that cost $1000? what is the advantage if $2000 and $1500 and so on. I hope you guys don't play trick otherwise I will be in a fix.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With PCs it really comes down to the oldest dilemma in the book, the more you pay the faster it is. At the very least I'm not about to screw you over, as for some others I can't day, but generally you're safe here at afterdawn.
    Components for computers are designed in a specific 'technology group' usually involving what they plug into. Motherboards for example, among other things are sold by socket type, how many pins a CPU has. The latest (and best) Core 2 Duo design CPUs only fit in Socket 775 motherboards, then you have to check whether the boards are new enough to support them, most are, but not all. Clearly if a motherboard came out before the processor you chose, it may not instantly recognise it.
    All the best graphics cards use PCI express 16x now, this is a simple one, unless you buy a very outdated motherboard, that's what you'll get. The only other compatibility issue with graphics is to make sure you've got a big enough power supply, and if you go for the monstrous 8800GTX or 8800 Ultra (the most powerful graphics cards about for gamers so far), that the case you buy is big enough. Looking through reviews should tell you that.

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks for giving us some sort of budget to work off of. :) I don't know what the 3 different tiers are about but I'm sure we can accommodate. Like Sam said we aren't out to screw you or anyone for that matter and with the "budgets" you gave us you can get a NICE puter out of the deal. :D

@Lp531,
    GOOD to see you buddy. Hope everything is going well for you. How's the back? PM me if necessary so we don't "hijack" the thread. LOL.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Put it this way, $1000 builds a good PC, $1500 builds a very good PC and $2000 builds an awesome PC. I very rarely spec builds for people over $2000 unless they're very rich because the performance increase a) isn't necessary, and b) isn't that big, by that price point you're heading to the elite end of the market, where people pay big money for those little increases in performance. Example:

Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU $659 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 $130
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128012
    2x2GB G-SKill PC6400C5 $210
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122
    EVGA 8800GTX $537
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130072
    Samsung 500GB $110
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152052
    Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme + Scythe 120mm fan $85
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109140
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185005
    Sony NEC 18x DVD Burner $32
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827152079
    Corsair HX 620W $170
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139002&Tpk=Corsair+620W
    Case is of course your choice, but these are excellent:
    Antec P182 $170
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129025&Tpk=Antec+P182
    That puts the total at $2103 plus a little delivery, but including rebates, comes to $2053.
    That's an absolute dream build, one I'd love to have. Too bad that isn't achievable for a reasonable cost in the UK.

14. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Well Sam listed the $2000.00 one so I'll give the $1500.00 rig a go. You can build PC's on paper all day long at Newegg. Try it. Also read the reviews and you can see how products perform. Reviewers post what their system specs are so you can go from that to get an idea of what parts are compatible. Do Google searches on the products you are interested in.

Here is a $1,541.81 system (after rebates) It includes Windows XP Pro, which you may or may not need.

I based this around the Core 2 Duo E6600 processor which is very popular for good reason. It is overclock friendly and a great performer.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz
    $222.90

The same motherboard Sam picked, A great value, reliable performer.
    GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard:
    $129.99

Reliable and less expensive RAM: $40.00 rebate!
    CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    $131.00

This video card is the little brother of the 8800GTX:
    GIGABYTE GV-NX88S320H-B-RH GeForce 8800GTS 320MB Video Card.
    $129.99

Two 150 GB Western Digital Raptors: I usually don't go with a RAID setup but you can:
    $399.98

This Zalman cpu cooler will outperform the stock cooler, is easy to install and lets you overclock the E6600. Looks cool too! They have a LED version but I'm trying to keep the costs down.
    ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink
    $49.99

A Lite-On DVD burner. I've got 4 of these in different computers. The SATA connection is fast and the small cable is easy to connect... and gives you better air flow.
    LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model LH-20A1S
    $37.99

This power supply is more than you need but it has a $25.00 rebate so you get a few more watts for the price. It's SLI certified and has lots of good reviews at Newegg.
    OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply
    $139.99

A good deal on a good case:
    LIAN LI PC-7B plus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    $89.99

Windows XP Pro, What can I say?
    $139.99

Total:
    $1,631.81
    -$90.00 Rebate

If you sign up for the Newegg newsletter you can get promo codes. You could save like $30.00 more on the RAM this week.

I didn't add a sound card, you can get by without one using the onboard sound. However you probably don't need two HDDs at this level so you could use a single HDD like the one Sam listed and that would let you get under $1500.00 and get a pretty good sound card.

I would wait about 3 weeks and see what CPU prices do. There's supposed to be a price cut as well as some new ones coming out.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  15. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

-the difference between thoes price ranges are things like

-more RAM
    -dual graphics cards
    -faster processor
    -better PSU

with 2000 you could get a quad core

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In actual fact, me and Russ' Power supplies are as good as each other, and the one I put in the $2000 system is a lower wattage. it's just our personal preferences. NEVER adjust your PSU based on your budget, always go with the best regardless. We all know what happens if you don't.
    Graphics, CPU, Memory and how lavish your case is are the things I adjust based on cost. I never usually go above a 500GB standard hard disk unless requests say so.

17. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

Thanks for you guys' advice and suggestion. But I am just wondering..."Isn't the higher the Ghz, the better the performance?" Because I browsed through google and saw some great Intel or AMD dual core CPU with Ghz up to 3.2, the price of which is less than $500. What do you guys think? I know the CPU sam gave me can be overclocked. But I know nothing about overclocking. I am just some sort of movie editor and graphic designer and I have to run several applications at the same time. For example, if you burn something with Nero. Basically, you won't be able to do anything at the time until Nero is finished with its job. This is no good and is time-wasting. Each movie is to be burned about 3 hours by using nero. Besides, that I wanna run Lite Vista, the vista ultimate.

18. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Core 2 duo CPUs will let Nero run faster than you can believe possible. I'm pretty sure you don't mean 3 hours to burn, but 3 hours to encode.
    Quad cores shine in this area. I use the QX6700 Quad for my DVD and video work and it's unbelievably fast with any kind of encoding. But looking at the task manager Performance graphs, a quad core will only use two of the cores for most Nero applications. However, if you use Nero Recode "Digital", say you are converting DVD files etc to play on an Ipod, then you get all four cores of the Quad core processor working.
    Nothing is faster than the Core 2 Quad for this. Your 3 hours will probably end up at around 30 minutes or less. That's what it takes me to convert an entire DVD with Nero Vision Express.
    Even a program like DVD Shrink will let you analyse in 1 minute or less, encode in 8 to 10 minutes and then an 8X burn for about 7-8 minutes so you can copy a DVD in less than 30 minutes.

Vista is very pretty but for the near term I'd stick with XP when using Nero. I suppose they (Nero) are getting the bugs worked out but at this point I'd say wait awhile. I think the point here is to include the price of the OS in with the build. OS choice is your of course.
    As far as overclocking goes, these C2D processors have lots of headroom temperature wise and can be safely overclocked without hurting anything. The heatsinks specified will keep a reasonable overclock well within the heat limitations for the cpu. In fact these heatsinks are so good that a lightly overclocked cpu will run cooler than an un-overclocked CPU with the stock Intel heatsink.

19. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

Are you serious Fasfrank? It is one of the best CPU sold in the market? I want the lightscribe burner and plus other stuff. I have been looking for a case but some of them, glowing with lights, are what I want the most. But I am just afraid that there aren't many airflows. What is OS by the way?

Anyway, I still don't get it? How do you guys know which parts fit perfectly to the others? You guys seem pretty amazing. That's what I wanna learn so that I won't have to bother other people and then I could make my final decision to build my dream PC.

20. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

A good step to understanding is to click on the link to the motherboard suggested by fasfrank and sammorris.
    Once on that page you can click on the tab that says "specifications" next to the overview and customer review tabs. That gives all the details of what goes in it. Notice the CPU details, also memory needs and how many and what type of expansion slots (AGP,PCI, PCI-E) does it have or not have depending on your wants. Onboard video or will you have to buy a card? These are the basics, if there are specific questions keep asking! BTW---OS = Operating System (Windows XP, Vista, Apple, Linux)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.