1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

Oh man! I feel like heaven having you guys helping me to understand the basic stuff of computers. Anyway...What is this socket thing:

#
    CPU Socket Type: LGA 775
    FSB: 1066/800/533MHz
    Supported CPU Technologies: Hyper-Threading Technology

Anyway, there are a lot and I can't list them all. I have browsed through the page of sam quadcore. I really like it but there are bunches of stuff I really don't understand. If someone would be willing to spend the time explaining step by step, that would be awesome.

2. redice

redice Regular member

different motherboards have different type of sockets for the cpu's. for example the Core 2 duo CPU's uses a LGA 775 socket. they have 939 sockets and so on but if you are going with the Core 2 duo the socket LGA 775 is the one that you would use.

here's a link about cpu sockets
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_socket

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  3. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

With that CPU data you posted, you could type that into NewEgg's search function and have it spit out many options of CPU's to put in the motherboard. The details listed specific memory types it accepts. It listed the type of interfaces for your hard drives and DVD burners.
    Just take some time to look at the requirements, once you understand what its looking for you'll start to see options.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A long long time ago, and until recently a commonyl held misconception is that more mhz = more speed. It doesn't. A 1.8Ghz Core 2 Duo outperforms a 2.0Ghz Athlon X2, and outperforms a 3.4Ghz Pentium 4. It's down to the architecture type (for which Core 2s are best) and the number of cores.

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Jinkazuya..With a little common sense go to NEWEGG look at the spec sheet on any motherboard..Get familiar with Socket SATA IDE PCI FRONT SIDE BUS Mghrz Gigabyte..On Board sound On Board Video etc

6. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

As I read through the description of the products of the processor. I see something like processor type: Destop, which is what sam suggested and other processor type: Server. My question is what the heck of the server type is?

7. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Here's my $2000 plus "A little wiggle room" computer...

Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU $505
    http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=Q6600BOX&c=pw

EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $159
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188019

EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR 8800GTS 640MB after $30 rebate $359
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130071

Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb $69
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148144

Seagate 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb $119X2=$240
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148144

OCZ 2GB ( 2 x 1GB ) NVIDIA SLI Ready Edition PC2-8500 1066MHz 240-pin DDR2-2 OCZ2N1066SR2GK $99X2=$198
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=203469617&adid=17653&dcaid=17653

ZALMAN 9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler $60
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019

Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series - Retail $139
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102005

COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 RC-830-SSN2-GP Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail Free AMD CPU w/ case $250
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119103

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad Copper Active PFC Computer Power Supply, 750W, SLI & CrossFire Certified $190
    http://www.directron.com/silencer750qc.html

Black/White Lite-On LightScribe Dual Layer DVD+/-W DVD Burner LH-20A1L-06, SATA, 20x DVD+/-R, 8x DVD+/- R9, 12x DVD-RAM $38
    http://www.directron.com/lh20a1l06.html

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD $115
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116204

Total $2300 plus a little shipping and or tax depending were you live...This has quad core...plus 4gb of faster Ram...3
    hard drives 1X250gb for OS...2X500gb for 1 Terra byte of storage...with a high end case...and the fatality sound card...you can get it below the $2000 mark with just a little tweaking...

@Greensman
    Backs getting better...I will PM you...

8. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

Forget about the budget. Just keep the focus point on one of the perfect and unbeatable own-built PC, a unique PC that nobody has ever had in the world. I just wanna see what is would be like. I think after I get two jobs, which are all well-paid, I am willing to spend $5000 and stay home for like a couple months and save the money for the computer. My original thoughts would be the one that could beat Bill Gate's ass computer since he has all the security in his damn PC. Again what I want is one of the most unbeatable PC in the world. According to other stuff I have found, though expensive, is much better or outperform some of the stuff you guys suggested as the budget is concerned that I listed earlier. Would you please help...I really wanna know what the most unbeatable or perfect PC in the world. Sounds kinda stupid, doesn't it?

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

You pulling our chain or what buddy? This takes time to look up and it's not easy if you go to different online retailers like LP531 or Mort81 and the other gurus out there. :) I normally stay with one retailer but lately I've been venturing out there and finding the best deal for the dollar no matter the location or retailer. $5 bucks here and there count to us POOR people. ;)

If you really want something OUT OF THIS WORLD there is only a handful of "members" that can assist you AND I'm NOT one of them. GOOD luck to you and may you build a PC only we can dream of. :D

...gm

10. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Well haha, no offense but I mean really if it were me, I would spend enough on the actual PC to get basically the best. And then I would spend what I was going to originally spend on the PC itself, on stupid stuff to go with it. Like a few incredibly large monitors, a really nice audio system (not one in a box), but separate components so that you get the most out of the best sound card you buy. Then I would spend quite a bit on games on software, and accessories, keyboard, mouse, that kind of stuff. But thats just me. I don't think you'll see much of an increase in proformance going from the best, to overboard (if that makes since). I mean we can all agree that you can get a PC that will run pretty much anything you want it to (excluding crysis) without going out and buying, $700 case for example. But thats just my suggestion.

11. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

My dream PC is that it could run three OS at the same time with three monitors separated. For instance, I wanna install the Chinese window XP Pro, the Original window Xp Pro as well as the Japanese Window XP pro. If possible, a Linux OS. Besides that, I wanna encode or convert a movie in three to one minute. I can open several applications at the same time, running window Vista ultimate like a breeze. The process of the computer being turned on less than 5 seconds. Internet speed increases as well as BT or other stuff. Awesome graphic on the PC screen and so forth. That is why I am looking for the best out of the best regardless of the budget. I know that you will get what you pay for. That's why I don't really mind the budget. All I want is the most uptodate PC with something that outperform the others.

12. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Your obviously either, lying, rich, insane, maybe all three. Why in the world would you want to run foreign language versions of XP? Thats ridiculous.

But I'll tell you what. If you really want I'll find the fastest I can find for now, then in a few months you can throw another 50 grand out the window on a computer that will play Crysis and Supreme Commander at the same time, on max settings at 7680x4320, while burning a DVD.

But for now this is the best I can do, because I'm too lazy and sarcastic to look up on newegg...........

http://www.alienware.com/configurat...?syscode=PC-AREA51-ALX-R6&subcode=SKU-DEFAULT

Ok, get atleast 4 of those (more if you like).

Edit: Be sure to check every option you can, if you do it right it will equal aroud $16,000. It may not be the best but it was easy to find.

13. crowy

crowy Guest

Jinkazuya,
    Winning Lotto may be a good start.

14. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Yeah, maybe then he can just buy a computer company.

15. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Sounds like you answered your own question...Thanks for pulling everyones chain...and wasting my time...

16. crowy

crowy Guest

Problem is,
    he wouldn't know what to do with all the bits!!..ROFL!!!

17. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

It seems like I am a bit too much. I find it funny myself too. Anyway, sorry for any disconvenience and cause you guys lots of trouble. I have already made up my mind and made my final decision...I will stick with what Sam gave me before I asked anything else. but and then the other guy gave me another option: Lp531. I do not know which option is better. Besides that, I am really willing to spend at least $3000. But as for $5000 it is kinda exaggerated.

Crowy is right...I don't know anything about self-built computer like which components that will fit the others. There are lots of terminologies which I don't understand. The thing is you can down payment with the credit card in the USA. Basically, I could pay $500 - $700 per month for the money I owe to the company for example, Frys. I really want the best PC out there. BTW, the reason why I chose to install two or three windows is because I am now learning two other different languages, in USA, at least you have to learn one additional foreign language before you graduate in high school or college. I need those window for the sake of convenience of learning a new language a bit quicker. if that is what trouble you guys, I really apologize for what I asked.

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

I don't see it as a problem Jink but you added and changed your mind a few times and really there isn't an END ALL BE ALL computer. Does that make some sense? We all want the best for now and don't want the other guy to beat us but that's NOT possible. Ask BidDK or docTY, those guys are cutting edge for builders and they are always adding and making their systems better. If I remember right they both have $3000 plus in their systems and have added since the last time I saw them post or say they are doing more. :p

The biggest thing is to set the budget at a $$$$ (dollar) figure and let these guys (even me) try to get you something that will fit your needs for now. What you asked at one point is almost not attainable with normal amounts of money. ;) As you've said here $3000 seems like enough. (paraphrased) I wish someone would let me spend that amount of cash and see what the little grass grower comes up with. :p

Anyway good luck and I hope you have fun with whatever you choose. :D

.....gm

19. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

Why alienware is so damn expensive...much more expensive than regular self-built computer while the functions are just the same. The final purpose of mine is to have as many memories as possible for storage.

20. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115011. What do you guys think of this one. Sam already gave me the better deal but anyway, since most of the work I focus on is some sort of like Adobe Premier, gaming simulation and graphic art. I think this one would be suitable. I you keep you guys posted for my help. I hope you guys would keep helping me since I am just like a baby born in just a day of a computer world. The info of the CPU isn't good as it doesn't provide much information as to what components go with which.

BTW, what is SERVER.....This is what I see when I browse through the CPU section. This is what it is

64 bit Support: Yes
    FSB: 1066MHz
    Hyper-Threading Support: No
    L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB
    L2 Cache: 2 x 4MB
    Manufacturing Tech: 65 nm
    Multi-Core: Quad-Core
    Processors Type: Server
    Series: Core 2 Extreme
    Virtualization Technology Support: Yes
    Model #: BX80562QX6700
    Item #: N82E16819115011