The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

This should be all you need for the puter you're looking to build. The performance leap from this CPU to the next level is not worth the extra $500 IMO. ;)

link to Q6600 Intel CPU

NEXT question?

....gm

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

LP, your build's high spec, but the cost of RAM is wrong (it's $320 or more), and it uses loads of different stores, which adds to confusion along with lots of delivery charges. Sticking to one retailer like I did would be better.

As for Jinkazuya, I'm a bit disappointed that your budgets have suddenly changed, but fortunately those differences are easy to accommodate. Add an extra 8800GTX to run SLi mode, upgrade to the EVGA 680i board, and buy a big case, such as the Coolermaster Stacker lp posted, and get 4 or 6 500GB Samsung drives.

3. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Jinkazuya, sorry about my previous post. I assumed you were either not serious, or had enough money to spend on a $20,000 PC.

With $3,000 you can get an amazing computer. I could actually spend alot more than that just on accessories (especially monitors).

But when you started naming off things you wanted to do with it, like encode a movie in 3 seconds, haha that seemed a little excessive. But the language thing is more understandable.

4. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

Well, what is the difference between the intel normal quadcore and the intel quadcore extreme? The extreme is $400 more than the normal quadcore. I have been reading and trying to understand the terms of computer online. But this gives me the confusion. Motherboard, mainboard are just the same, which I already know, but what about Printed Circuit board. It just looks like the motherboard, what is the difference?

5. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

It looks like the only differences are clock speed, and that the normal quad core has 4 X 2 MB cache, but the extreme has 4 MB shared (which doesn't make since to me) it looks like it would be the other way around. I could be wrong though.

From what it looks like, depending on how well the Q6600 overclocks, you could just get it and overclock it to a speed near that of the QX6800.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

about as high as the Q6600 will OC is 3.4ghz even with water cooling. still faster and a lot cheaper than the QX6800.

7. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

I have got a few questions to ask from LP. You said you could get a 3 1x250GB for OS. What about if I want 1TG for OS and 2TG for storage. What should I do?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

1TB OS drive? What for? However, not to question you, but you could either:

2x 500GB OS
    4x 500GB Data
    or
    1x 1000GB OS
    4x 500GB Data
    or if you're very rich,
    1x 1000GB OS
    2x 1000GB Data
    bearing in mind a 1000GB drive is significantly more expensive than two 500GBs, due to the newer tech involved.

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

Jink,
    I think you're trying to understand too much too soon. LOL.

I would go with 2 WD 150 GB Raptors in Raid for my OS. All you're gonna run is the OS and maybe a few loaded games from the "OS" drives. ;)

NOW on the other hand you can add like 6 HDD's with 400, 500, 750, or even higher capacities for your "storage" drives. This of course depends on the case you get and what kind of cooling you decide to go with. With all of this plus a HIGH end GPU you're gonna need something that will cool very well. (Case and Fans that is) If you over-clock the CPU to any extreme you're gonna need water cooling. Some more things to look into.

Like Mort81 said and I have too, the Q6600 WILL DO WHAT YOU NEED!!! Especially if you mildly over-clock the thing. :p

....gm

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Q6600 is the CPU I'd go with too, with a CNPS9700, you can pull off a good overclock, even if small compared to the Duos.

11. Guyza

Guyza Member

Hi All,

Due to Intel dropping their prices on 22nd July 2007 (which couldnt come sooner) im going to build myself a new computer. What i was hoping to get out of you guys is some suggestions. My thinking on a chip was that im going to either go for Q6600 or the new E6850 (i think thats what they call it they are that many its the one with 1333mhz FSB) one thing is decided on and that the graphics card 8800GTX. Right my budget is going to be £800 - £1000 (Thank God for a credit card!) obviously the cheaper the better! What would be your suggestions on CPU and maybe motherboard or any other advice you can give me! I need this to last me a couple of years like my current one does and still run games as good! Or maybe you may advise me on AMD rather than Intel! Im currently with AMD right now! Any suggestions? and thanks!

12. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

if he is going with xp home then 4gbs of ram will not help, it will only detect 3

13. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

a printed cercuit board (pcb) is just what they put all the parts on, it is used for motherboards, graphics cards, usb cards and many other things,

if you have 5000 to spend you can build a crazy computer, I would say thats a little over the top, but I will give you a list of parts in my next post

14. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

That would be awesome. Thanks Mike...I will hear more from you. Sam's suggestion is good but Lp's is awesome...But I am not really sure about you Mike. The deal that Lp gave me has made me changed my mine. It could be an awesome computer. I would run window Vista or the hack of window vista version which my friend has already modified. Or Xp vista transformation. I really wanna run two window? Any thoughts and help?

15. Neverhap

Neverhap Guest

If I am reading correctly you could be in big trouble here at aD???
    Piracy is not a laughing matter, particularly at this forum (aD).

If I am wrong, please rephrase, and I apologize now.

16. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

no I mean like I have bought a window vista ultimate and then I will have my friend modify it after the installation. I am not really sure about the privacy and copyright. But as I own it and buy the original one, it will not considered be illegal.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So what are you basing that on? It's a marginally better PC I'd agree, but it will set you back far more than $2000 (the links provided bring up prices in excess of those quoted). Of course, now I know that's not an issue but I didn't before.

18. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

If Jink is using his PC for Premier, Gaming Simulation, and Graphic art...why not point him in the direction of a workstation/server class setup. Something in the line of 2 - Clovertown E5310 (of course faster ones could be used), and a Supermicro MBX-X7DAL-E-O motherboard as the backbone.
    Another thought is if Jink is using this machine for work, perhaps 2 - 500GB in RAID-0 config for the OS(es) and 4 - 500+GB HDD in RAID-5 mode for storage? I'm uncertain as to how critical his data is to him, but if this is what he does for a living, then it should be well worth the expense. If it's purely for personal home use (not for work) then what everyone has suggested is more than enough.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  19. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

I know I have given you guys lots of troubles. But as I stated, I will be using the PC as part of my work. I am a graphic art designer and video editor, also part of video game stimulation. I really need a fast and better graphic computer. This will last for a couple years before my PC is out-dated. Without a fast and perfect graphical computer, lots of things cannot be done. That's why I keep changing my mind about graphic and speed. Hence, I know $2000 would not be enough, which is why I would say something spending $3000 or $5000...

20. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

@ Jink

I apologize for using some terminology that you may or may not understand. So let me explain. The processor that I suggested, the Intel XEON E5310, are Quad cores (4 processors in one). So building a system with two of these processors would give you 8 cores. I choose the Supermicro motherboard based on the companies reputation, and not from personal use. However, the motherboard does support the 2 processors and also has a PCIe x16 slot. As for the Hard drive configurations... RAID-0 is when 2 or more drives are setup to function as one, where data is separated into pieces and written to the "x" amount of drives (this increases the overall performance of reading and writing data, as well as system performance.) <--it is a bit more complex than this but I hope this helps you out. RAID-1 is drive mirroring what is being written to drive A is also being written to drive B...so essentially you can think of it as a real time backup of drive A. RAID-5 is sort of like a combination of both RAID-0 and 1, it requires 4 drives where 3 drives are written to for speed, but at the same time they are backing each other up. Thus if any one of the drive should fail, the system will automatically rebuild the failed drive using the forth drive, which functions as "hot spare".

Goolge RAID 0, 1, 0+1, and 5 to learn more about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.