1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

I have got a few questions that I wanna ask:

What are those ISA bus? PCI? PCI X? PCI E or something like PCI X 16 and so forth. Would you mind explaining them in details? What I know is that some of them are for video card, internet, USB drive, flash drive, speakers and so on...But how the heck do I know which one is the one that support video card, and which one support internet...?

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

Jink not to be rude but you can look that stuff up with a GOOGLE search or whatever search engine you prefer and find the answers. Most of us don't have the time to be looking up terminology for you or anyone really. :) I guess that was rude but NOT intended to be so.

Just use some common sense and a good search engine to find most of what you're asking. If there's something that doesn't make sense after some investigation then come calling.

....gm

3. crowy

crowy Guest

4. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

Thanks so much for everybody esp crowy for the much more clear info he has provided. Again thanks so much.

5. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

Well, I have got a few questions about the terminology. I would like to know what those

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

NICE crowy!! Good little website for learning more about terminology and the like for PC's. :)

....gm

7. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

Ok, here is a list of parts i would use if I had 5000 to blow:

CPU:
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=012117&cid=CPU.84
    $1120.99

CPU Heatsink:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019
    $59.99

MOBO:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131074
    $329.99

RAM:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220144
    $134.99

Graphics Card:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143107
    $699.99 x2 (mabey, dont really need, but it would be kick ass)

CASE:
    http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=011391&cid=CS.664
    $117.99

HARD DRIVE:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136035
    $259.99 x2

Optical Drive:
    http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=014537&cid=CR.184
    $42.89

Power SUPPLY:
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=011959&cid=PS.808

1 Graphic Card: $3229.80 (some prices are CND others are US)
    2 Graphic Cards:$3929.79 (''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''')

Prices before tax, also i went light on the RAM

The second option leaves 1000 to blow on other stuff like more RAM or a better graphics card, or TAX!!!

8. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

right now go with intel

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Seconded.

10. crowy

crowy Guest

I also learned something...I found out what Diskless Nodes are!!!!!!LOL!!!!

11. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

I have read the article crowy has linked. However, there is one thing I wanna ask. For the PCIe x8 slot and the PCIe x 16 slot. What is the difference? Most of the PC right now has embedded with a PCIe x 16 slot. With two PCIe x8 slots, won't it be a lot better than just a PCIe x16 slot? If we get two video card for PCie x8 slot and one video card support PCIe x16, are they just the same?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Two 8x slots are the result with a standard chipset and two 16x slots, they can't run at 16x speed, only 8x. Hence, why the M2N32 etc. were made, to get true 16x. A specific 8x slot is usually occupied by other devices, since all Graphics cards (to my knowledge) on PCI express are designed for 16x.

13. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

Ok here is another question:
    1) Is the PCI always used for expansion board such as Internet Lan card, sound cards, and ethernet?
    2) Is the PCIe X8 or X16 only used for high graphic video card? What about low graphic or video card?
    3) AGP is only used for cheaper or lower class video card?

I really don't get it.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You're correct about PCI, it's the simple low cost way of attaching devices. PCI express 1x devices are starting to crop up now, but there's still more choice at less expense with PCI, and pretty much every PC has one.
    As for PCI express 16x, all graphics cards from the cheapest to the top end cards are all 16x.
    AGP isn't necessarily a cheap platform (although it does come on cheap motherboards) but it's just the old way of doing things. PCI express replaced it in 2004, but cards are being sold for old motherboards, and cheap motherboards are being made that still use it (cheap because they use old chipsets)

15. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

I have learned a lot by just posting and keeping asking questions. Thanks so much for your continuous help. However, right now I guess it is time to learn how to buy stuff. This is the question.

-Before we buy anything, first we must consider what we really want to do with the components and what we really want our PC to be before we make our final decisions. The first thing we buy is the CPU right? And then the motherboard...after that we gotta see what are compatible with the motherboard before we buy any video cards, RAMs and IDE devices. Is it correct?

-How do you guys distinguish which one works better, and which one is which. For examples, there are lots of video cards and motherboard and how do you guys know which one is better and benefits from your needs?

For example, SAM. I just come here and ask how to build a computer and how each part of the PC is compatible with one another. And then, you could give me a huge list and say you should buy this motherboard, this CPU, the case, power supplies, and rams...How do you know what you choose will be compatible with one another? This is what I wanna learn.

In most cases, you cannot randomly choose whatever you want, you first must know what is compatible and which one is better before you make a purchase. This is kinda difficult to me.

16. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

how i buy:

-Case
    -Hard drive
    -Cd/dvd drive
    -fans
    -other stuff (like a media card reader)
    -cpu
    -motherboard
    -RAM
    -Graphics card
    -extras
    -last i buy the PSU so i know i will have enough power to run my parts

as for how you know that stuff works together sometimes it can be hard, but usually if it fits in the slot it will work, not all the time, for example OCZ memory rarely works in an ASUS motherboard, and some motherboards that are socket 775 will not support quad core CPUs. The best way to know is to research the products, for example go to asus's website and read about the motherboard your looking at, they are great at telling you what works and what does not.

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

Jink,
    You cannot only read and learn but you must take that step to create your own computer someday. DON'T think any of us just learned this one day and built a computer the next day. ;) WE ALL went thru a learning curve on what works well and we all learn or take advice from each other. I know a few guys and gals here that I trust and ask questions from still. It's good that you are willing to ask so many questions but don't think for a second that you will learn it all or enough to do everything w/o asking some questions sometimes. :p

Am I making any sense? It's late and I may be rambling. :S

As far as building your own puter, you gotta ask questions and get advice from whomever you trust. Whether it's sam, Lp531, Mort81, or whoever. At this stage in the game you gotta have help in choosing your components. If you're serious about making a purchase soon, we can all add to your list and try to make sure you get the best deal for your money and your needs. :)

I like most of the stuff that mike gave you but there are always changes we want to make or favorite companies we want to use. :p

Let us know what you want (serious $$$$ figure and performance) and we'll do what we can. ;)

....gm

18. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

the order I would buy is totally different.

1: CPU

2: CPU compatable mobo with features I will need or want.

3: memory

4: case

5: CPU HSF

6: HDD's

7: GPU

8: optical drives

9: sound card

10: PSU big enough to run everything above.

I can always add/replace case fans as needed later.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I too learned from experience, and from the mistakes I've made.
    With regard to compatibility, there's a lot to it, but the case and the power supply aren't relevant, and the hard disk usually isn't either (just always buy S-ATA these days). The Graphics card should always be PCI express 16x, and if you're after a fast PC, a Core 2 series CPU (and therefore a socket 775 board) is the way to do it. Therefore, you're not actually left with much of a choice dilemma, it's all down to favourite brand coolers, cases etc. and finding out the compatibility of t hese is easiest simply by reading reviews of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.