1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

OH NO you're right, "PRETTY" wasn't in their description. lol. I also like the Antec 900 case and as you said it pushes tons of air. :) btw that's the one I'm looking at for my next build. :D

I think there's a Thermaltake case like the 900 but I can't remember which one it is. It may be the one I linked too. :p Sleep or lack of it is catching up with me.

.....gm

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I still like my CM Mystique case even though air flow isn't the best. I can't complain about my temps though with only 2 120mm case fans. the front running at 1700 rpm and the rear running at 1200 rpm. I still think it is one of the better looking cases.

I'll never go back to a metal case and I'm sold on the true tooless design.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  3. senseitx

senseitx Member

Probably not. While I am up over 5000 depending on the values I can find the Samsung is big enough for me now at a reasonable price. I do have an older pc so I may eventually buy a bigger monitor and just move them on down.

Yeah I may go with the zalman 9700 instead. I have gone back and forth so many times I forget where I end up at. The 9700 is 30mm bigger and only 6.00 more so that looks to be a good choice.

Thanks for the sugestions. I think ill stick with my choice though. The 2 xclio's and enermax just don't do it for me :). And i like the black over the silver thermaltake(being 60.00 cheaper also helps)

4. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@6spdSER
    I have the GA-965p-S3...and my friend has the G...The P model definetly OC's better then the G...even with the on board graphics turned off and a card installed...No comparision...

@sammorris
    No Sam the memory is now $335 for 4gigs...It was $198 when I posted it..:) One of the best deals I have recently seen...I'm kicking myself for not pulling the trigger...and picking up 4gigs..:( it was with No-rebates...NO Tax...NO Shipping...
    I only list reputable dealers that I have had first hand experince with...One stop shopping maybe the easiest but it is not the cheapest...especially at Newegg...Newegg plays to many games with sale prices and shipping...I do not consider them to be the only place to shop...Newegg gives zero discounts on shipping multiple items...So therefore you save Nothing by buying only from Newegg...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

But what about other shops, surely it's not the same there? I don't know about you but I'd rather not have 10 separate deliveries for a PC build.

6. crowy

crowy Guest

That would be painful!!!!

7. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

It was only 4 retailers not 10...and it saved over $300 not counting tax and ship differences which saves even more...

All I am saying it can be significantly cheaper to buy from more then one source...Newegg isn't the only quality retailer around...with a little bit of shopping around you can build a much better PC for the same price as shopping only at Newegg...

I live in California so everything at Newegg is roughlly 8% more then the price listed because of sales tax...yet I receive No break on shipping even though they can ship to me cheaper because of distance...Newegg is notorious for playing Games with Prices and Shipping...one week memory is $99 with $30 shipping...the next week it is $129 with Free Shipping...Its nothing but deceptive advertising...I still buy alot of product from Newegg...however I watch and see their deceptive practices...

8. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

mikeh0303,

talk him into this memory or some other memory that is cas 4 instead of cas 5 like you listed.

try and talk him into a video card similiar to this 7600GT

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

Mike it looks like you did some homework but make sure that Muskin Ram is compatible with the ASUS board. I can't remember but there is a couple of combos that DON'T like each other. :)

I was gonna say see Cancomputers.com buy it's under construction. Just for price comparisons. I've talked to a few Canadians that shop there BUT it seems that the online retailer you're "buying" from is GOOD! ;)

Change on GPU for $6 more. link to XFX 8400

Suggestion to WD HDD cause I'm a fanboy. :p link to WD 320 SATAII

Thermaltake PSU
    for $1 more

I thought these "changes" would make your puter a little bit better IMO. ;) More power for a $1 and the BIGGER GPU for $6 seemed like good ideas to me. :) GOOD luck with your build! :)

...gm

11. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

i was looking at that memory but its just 2 much.

Is there any changes to parts i could make that would keep the performance by lower the cost?

after looking at the PSU i would change it with your for sure

Ok, they decided that they did not want it going over 1500 so here is the new list, its total is 1459.27, however they do want a media card drive and some software so it will be about 1500 after that, i had to downgrade a few parts :( but i did add that PSU but everthing else is now a bit too much, i will still try and do some talking

sorry for such a long post, but here is the part list:
    http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=013486&cid=CPU.84
    http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=013495&cid=RAM.835
    http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=014037&cid=MB.157
    http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=014599&cid=999.243.390
    http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=013569&cid=CS.664
    http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=013437&cid=PS.808
    http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=001229&cid=SW.815
    http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=013996&cid=CR.184
    http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=010282&cid=HD.96
    http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=011005&cid=MT.282

i think this build is a great deal, and better then anything your going to find at futureshop or bestbuy. I am trying to have thier prices but build a better computer, and I think this one really does that, it has great parts, and a 22" LCD, thas a great deal for under $1500. The big problem is windows xp oem, I just called every Canada Computers store and none of them have it :( i really dont know what to do!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  12. greensman

greensman Regular member

mike what are these people going to do with their computer? This is a very important question because they are skimping out on some important features. :) I'm looking at this thing more closely to see if I can make any "quality" changes. ;D

...gm

EDIT: to add changes..

intel E6320 about $30 cheaper and still fast and powerful

Patriot RAM $75 after MIR ($30 savings over MUskin)

19" ViewSonic $90 cheaper if you can go in-store and pick it up

Acer 19" $80 cheaper delivered

XP PRO $60 higher than the HOME edition but WELL worth it

With the changes you would get almost the same computer and save about $170 with a better OS and RAM and a bit smaller LCD monitor. :)

NOW if you wanted to change the GPU, which I would, go with the change I suggested earlier and I think you still end up well under the $1500 dollar mark you're looking for. ;)

....gm

13. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

good ideas, they really have their heart set on a 22". But ya, the RAM change looks good, but I will have to see if the rebate comes on my last Patriot RAM first to see if they really do send it, I will also look at the graphics you sujested, because i want the display to look amazing for them on the 22"

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

I think the people you're dealing with are a bit under-educated when it comes to what components to "skimp" on. :) The monitor is pretty but if you don't have the ability to really push it at the 22" then why get it?

I looked at your choice of case too. It comes with a PSU, you don't need one and I'm sure the one that comes with the case is sub-par at best. ;) Take a look at this case and see what you think. Newegg link for more details and pics. :p

With the savings from the previous post I think you can swing this case. :)

Hope I'm helping.... ;)

...gm

btw what are they gonna do with the PUTER?? If it's games then they gotta look at a much better GPU! :O

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I'm not a big time patriot fan boy but that ram has better specs than the mushkin (lower cas latency and tighter timings). better if planning to OC. a lot of the time your just buying the name with mushkin. which brings up another question. are you planning to OC? if so don't forget an aftermarket cpu hsf.

you're taking quite a dive on the GPU but I suppose it can always easily be upgraded later.

16. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

at least its not the graphics HP and compaq give you, you cant even find such low end cards at canada computers now

i think hp still usues the 6000 series

hay greensman, how did you get into computers? do you make custom computers? or are you a gamer?

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'm fairly new to this as well. Mort81 really knows his stuff and Lp531 too. If you can ever get them in here BigDK and docTY are PRETTY smart too. hehehe. Little jab at them to see if they visit.

I've built a few 'new' systems but mainly I've played with some upgrading stuff. I was PUSHED into the learning curve with some "wonky" components and learned at an early stage in the puter building that cheaper normally means NOT BETTER. LOL. Lots of reading my boy, lots of reading. hehehe. ;)

OK, a small history into what I really don't know. :p btw I have a pS2 for games. lol. I do have some PC specific games but I don't play that often. I do a lot of video/media work and some just plain ol' fooling around. :)

...gm

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

mr. greensman :),

looks like I better correct you and put myself in my place.

those two are the big dogs whom I've also learned a lot from as well.

20. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

so would you say you have learnd most of your stuff here(www.afterdawn.com)?

I found that building my first computer i learned a tone, the second one i learned about how pickey windows is.

I want to get the A+ certification this summer but I want to do like a week of a training cource then the certification at the end

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.