1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

i have dont lots of stupid things like that, once i forgot the compute was on and pulged in a new sata hard drive it just powerd off.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ooh let's see, a few things.
    third place: Leaving out the 4-pin CPU power connector for the CPU
    second place: Hot-plugging a molex fan, causing a spark and a PC shutdown
    but the winner, in first place:
    Attaching a heatsink, and completely omitting the thermal paste procedure, I didn't even remove the plastic sheet covering the copper base. Luckily that CPU had overheat protection!

3. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

thats a funny list! your very luckey about the 3rd one

4. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Umm...Forgetting the Heat Sink until I smelled something...

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

@ALL,
    I'm looking at getting a "storage" drive for my setup right now. I want at least a 400GB HDD and preferably internal but not necessary. SATA goes without saying and 16MB cache of course.

Here's what I've looked at so far but NOT limited to this "retailer" or "Brands". TIA for your input. :)

WD at newegg

Seagate at newegg

....gm

6. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Hey greensman,
    You can pickup the Seagate for $112...No Tax...or Shipping to Texas...from eaglebit.com...it will save you $8 over Newegg...
    http://www.eaglebit.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=EB-300-00092&Click=1148

or you can get the WD at Zipzoomfly for $102.80...Free Ship...No Tax...Its still cheaper then Newegg...
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=101259

The Seagate has a 5 year warranty...the WD has a 3 year...They are both quality drives...So you can not go wrong with either...

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks Lp!

I was looking at the Samsung as well. I haven't heard much about them but sammorris has recommended them before and the "reviews" seem ok too. What do you think about Samsung?? I've used their phones and mp3 players and they're ok but you know how different products act throughout a companies line. :D

...gm

8. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I've never used a Samsung drive...Only WD...Maxtor...& Seagate...I usually go with Seagate...I have always considered all 3 manufacturers about equal in quality...noise...price and speed...
    I go with the Seagates for the 5 year warranty...

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

Lp,
    I like what you're saying about the Seagates. :) I haven't used any of the newer HDD's but I think I might try them in the next build. Well that depends on the sales at the moment. hehehe.

Thanks for the input buddy. :D Always precise and good.

...gm

10. herrick

herrick Regular member

@ sammorris
    Ok MY FRIEND- then...enlighten me PLEASE- what fans should I have used that will do the job but w/ out the noise? Ive been asking for help on this mobo heat thing from way back and these yes load fans have been the only thing keeping my mobo under 39c...

can you plaese give me some other mfg that will do the same w/ out the noise?

No wonder the place was so understanding w/ me...I guess they seen a sucker coming?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  11. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Read over in the Over Clocking thread...Sam and theonejrs just went over fans that would be perfect for your needs...however... I believe they were expensive...

If you turn the fans down to 1000rpm's how bad are they...you don't need that much air flow...turn them to an acceptable level...and look at your temps...then make a decision...

Cooler Master makes some Good...CFM to DB to $ fans...check out SVC.com...they always have good prices on them...
    http://www.svc.com/120x25mmfans.html

I use the Cooler Masters almost exclusively...I add wire fan guards...It stiffens the fans chassis and help to quiet any fan...I add them inside and out when ever I can...

I cut out all punched fan guards on most builds if they have them...punched fan guards piss me off...they can turn the quietest fan into a ineffective noisy beast...
    http://www.svc.com/120x25mmfans.html

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

herrick,

have you reseated your NB an SB heatsinks with some AS5? the crap that comes oem on those heatsinks is just that..........crap. you might even consider some NB and SB fans. 40 x 40 x 20mm fans fit perfect on my P5W DH Deluxe NB and SB heatsinks. reseating with AS5 and NB and SB fans cooled my mobo down over 10 degrees C.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Here's my personal experience/opinion on hard disks:

maxtor: cheaper than other brands, some models have reliability issues, noisier than other brands.
    WD: Smooth seek noise (the grinding sound when they're in use), but louder at idle. Good performance. Most models reliable, but WD5000 series should be avoided.
    Seagate: Quiet at idle, loud when in use. Fast, Reliable, and big capacities available that work!
    Samsung: Quietest of all drives, but vibrate a lot - not so good in cheap cases. Reasonable reliability, high speed.
    Only ever had 1 Deskstar, and that was so old it was before the Hitachi merger, so I wouldn't think that relevant!

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks sam!!

Mort81 since you're lurking around. :D I remember you being a WD fan but what do you think about the 400-500 HDD choices on the market right now?? I've given a couple of links to different brands but I would appreciate your input as well. :) TIA.

...gm

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With 400-500GB, I'd go with Samsung or Seagate. Both WD5000AAKS drives I've had have had faults, and are the only hard drives I've ever owned to have!

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

greensman,

I really like WD hdd's but the largest I have had any experience with is 250 GB. I would stay away from maxtors. I don't have any experience with samsungs or seagates. I've always just opted for WD's since they've been so good to me.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Likewise, i've only owned two seagates, one IBM, two Samsungs and one Maxtor, but I've had these from WD:
    36GB Raptor
    160GB Caviar IDE
    200GB Caviar SE IDE
    250GB Caviar SE S-ATA x2
    and of course the two 500s that have been rubbish.
    The samsungs (a 250 and a 400) have been good, I'd recommend them. Unfortunately I can't comment on the 200GB IDE, 250GB Samsung and first 500GB WD any more since they all got toasted by electrical issues (the 200 by a bad PSU, the others by a bad PSU cable)

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks again sam. :)

Mort81 as always, THANKS for your input. ;D

Lp531 with your influence I might "try" the Seagate for the next build and as a storage drive in my current rig. I've got 2 250 GB WD's right now but I just seem to need extra "room" every now and then. hehehe. You'd call it "wiggle room" but I don't want to steal a "trademark". :p

....gm

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 750GB Seagates are very good I'm told. Somebody I know has 16 in a RAID6 fileserver (lucky so and so) and so far no problems with any, other than that his 600W PSU couldn't power them all up lol!

20. herrick

herrick Regular member

.....yes and it changed nothing! I got a NB cooler but noticed that pipe attaches to a few things so I had dash34 reseat EVERYTHING w/ artic 5

As for the fans they need to be lots of air flow or I cant seem to keep the thing under 39c

I have come to the thought...sence now my second PCIe slot is out that the mobe is just a lemon....seems after reading for weeks I am not the only one these things has happen to...I need to get another board and soon I think.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.