1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Yea, I was going to comment on the MB billybob posted and didn't, and forgot to change the "To:"!

Most cases come with screw kits with brass standoffs or risers, and most have reddish fiber washers to insulate the screws from the motherboard, if needed! I've had to use them from time to time! What I usually do is stick the MB inside the case without the plate for the plug-ins on the back of the MB and mark the matching holes with an Ultra Fine Point Sharpie! Then just pop out the MB and screw in the risers, pop the plate back in and screw down the MB. By removing the inside cover plate, you don't have to fight the spring fingers to get them marked. Most motherboards use about 6 screws!

Clock On,
    theone :>}

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You know, I'm not even sure what method I use, I think I've just been looking at which holes there are in the motherboard, shoving the risers in, then screwing the Mobo in on top!

3. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

i count the amount of holes in the motherboard, then i put that many risers in, if i see one hole without a riser then i know i have one in the wrong place

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Can't really get more intricate in the PC building thread than where the risers go lol.
    Out of curiosity, does BTX still use the same riser/hole/screw arrangement, or is it different?

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mikeh0303,
    I this day and age with a lot of motherboards having holes for "optional" chipset coolers, that could get a newbie in trouble. Not all motherboards come with Southbridge coolers, either a fan/heatsink or a passive one. The Asus P5N-E comes to mind! I only mention it because I do know of someone who fried their MB that way. He cut the threaded part off because there were no matching screw holes in the case bottom and screwed the brass hex part to both Southbridge holes in the MB! Sounds stupid, but he was just trying to be thorough and support the MB properly!

Clock On,
    theone :>(

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Whoops! Who was that?

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Sam don't play coy!!! That was you and you know it. hehehe.

theone good idea on marking the holes with a sharpie. :) Gonna do that next time instead of the guessing game. LOL. NOT really guessing the cases that I've purchased have the holes marked as ATX and so on. :)

billyboob,
    You scare me. You read anything on putting these things together?? Don't get all blitzed and try to do this, you might end up with a "smoking" machine. LOL. Just kidding buddy, you keep the questions coming and someone will direct you the right way. :)

ON HDD's, I think I've decided on the SEagates. I'll not make a purchase for a month or two but I like the 5 year warranty and the reputation that they have. PLUS a little doctor friend of mine seems to think they are the shizznit!! LOL. L@@King at a 320GB for OS and such and 2 500GB for storage. I might want more later but I think a TB for now will do. :D

...gm

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You what?
    That wasn't me!

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

OK maybe it wasn't but you got worked up anyway. :p j/k mate, having a bit of fun. :)

OK back to ON TOPIC stuff.

I think that I'm gonna try to talk the little lady into the PSU if CompUSA has any left. What do you guys think?? GOOD PSU or not? TIA for your responses. :D

...gm

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It looks pretty meaty, normally I'd say unnecessary, but at that price, who cares?

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman & Sam,
    Good one, greensman! ROFLMAO!!!

Nah! It wasn't Sam. Oddly enough though, his name was Sam! A young customer of mine! His first build! LOL!!

Clock On,
    theone :>)

12. billybob

billybob Regular member

Greensman, shhhhh.

:p

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

Well sh!t-ake mushrooms!!!! They were out but they may get more in later this week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I'm not holding my breath. LOL.

....gm

14. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

lol, it must suck for that person, but is pretty funny! :0

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah, laughing at the expense of others, nothing quite like it!

16. mphsbelle

mphsbelle Member

Hi guys, gonna join in here. Have purchased all my stuff for the build except for graphic. Kinda need some help here. I do basic stuff and a little video editing. HDMI hook ups are important to me.My first build ever but should be fun. Have done basic replacing of drives and other parts but never to this degree. And I am a girl. LOL I got a good deal on a quad core processor and definitely don't want to mess it up so I will go slow. Got 2 500 WD HDD and a fairly new intel MB geared toward media, 600 watt power supply, antec housing/case and three fans, and alot of other stuff. But the graphics are stumping me. Don't really know what I need in that area. Not into gaming. As I tally up what I've spent, probaly got more $ than sense. But I am enjoying the road I'm on and excited over the build. Thanx for all the info along the way.

17. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

mphsbelle,
    I like this one from newegg.com. I can't remember where you are from so I linked to a US store. :) Give it a look and see what you think and if it will do what you need. Remember you can always shop around for a better deal but newegg is easy and convenient for me at least. :D

...gm

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

russ,

the one greensman gave a link to is a 7600GT. good card for the price.

if I didn't already have a X850XT PE I too would go for a 7600GT as they're very comparable. the X850XT PE will just barely notch out the 7600GT in most situations/games but they are hard to find and still cost more.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.