1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. popol24

popol24 Member

Sweet!!!

I've been wanting to buy my own computer for a long time and I'll finally get one, thanks to you guys!!!

I've found a cheaper case:
    http://www.sltech.com.au/shop/product_info.php?products_id=6842
    I think it's the same one as I mentioned but only $20 cheaper!

I've also looked at the power supply and it seems that it'll take longer to get it so I'm getting a same one, only $6 dearer
    http://www.xpmicro.com.au/cgi-bin/foundation/SP-TTW0103.html

So anyways, I'll figure out the total cost, which would include the postage and all that stuff. Once again, thanks guys, I really appreciate it! I'll be back soon, hopefully using the new PC

2. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

Hi guys, quick question now that your done helping the other guy:

How would you ship a computer with a really big zalman heatsink? Do you think its ok just to pack it in the case box, or do i need to make some thing to hold the zalman heatsink up?

I just really don't want there to be any problems, the guy is spending a lot on this computer, and I want it to be great.

3. billybob

billybob Regular member

The one in ur sig?

4. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

]

ya, the computer I am shipping will be just like that (w/ a big psu on top).

5. billybob

billybob Regular member

Who mentioned me? and a pipe :p

Haha.

How about this one?

[​IMG]

Tehe.

disclaimer: the image posted shows nothing illegal being smoked...unless that guys brains are illegal :p

6. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@mikeh0303
    You have to remove the CPU Cooler for shipping...With a Cooler that size you have to lay the computer on its backside just to move in a car...Other wise you will destroy the Motherboard...also be careful if the board has a heat pipe assembly with fan...you might need to remove them also for shipping...What board is it?..

7. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

its very similar to my system, its a P5K-V

I don't know if I can remove the cooler because the person on the other side would have no idea how to re-install it!

8. billybob

billybob Regular member

is there no padding or anything your can use, or u could use masking tape or something to connect it to the sides.....just a practical idea.

9. scottuk

scottuk Guest

Hi all looking for some help looking to build new pc from scratch.I live in uk and looking to buy stuff off ebay.Money wouldnt be a object as would be building up over time.Must be able to run windows vista ultimate 32bit.Any help would be welcome thanks.

10. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@mike
    You look fine on the M/B heatsink...however you will need to remove the Cooler...It should be easy for the person to re-attach the Cooler on the other end of trip...Its just 4 screws...

I would pre-apply the Arctic Silver to the CPU...then package cooler in its original packaging...trust me you will destroy the M/B if you ship it attached...

@popol24
    There are a couple possible upgrades that would help...let me get back to you a little latter...Are you still with-in your budget?..

11. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@popol24
    PC P&C Silencer 750 EPS12v - QUAD $192
    https://secure.flickerdown.com/index.php?crn=281&rn=518&action=show_detail

You can-not beat this P/S...definitely better then the thermatake...remember what Crowy said about P/S...Get the best one you can afford...This P/S will handle any possible upgrades that you can make to this system...Its much cheaper to buy once...instead of twice...

Take a look at prices on OCZ PC-8500 memory...as well as a 8600GTS card...tell me the best price you can find it at...let use tell you if it is worth the extra cash...

@Crowy & theonejrs or anyone else
    Feel free to express your opinions on these possible upgrades...

How is Doc TY doing...just wondering how he likes his 680i board and Quad core...I was wondering how far he has been able to push it...

What I found...
    G.Skill 2GB (1GB x 2) PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) 5-5-5-15 Dual Channel (F2-8500CL5D-2GBHK) $272
    http://www.mwave.com.au/newAU/mwave...QWXWZGKPBJJUWYSBLG4RT7RU42QYHHZ6&sku=37060341

OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC Edition, 1GBx2, 1066MHz DDR2, 240 Pin DIMM EPP 5-5-5-15 (OCZ2RPR10662GK) $328
    http://www.mwave.com.au/newAU/mwave...QWXWZGKPBJJUWYSBLG4RT7RU42QYHHZ6&sku=37060304

Cannot find that GTS card I saw yesterday...I am still looking

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mikeh0303,
    They will need to find someone on their end to install it then. Lp531 is 100% correct, it will destroy the MB in shipping no matter how you support it. It's just too heavy and tall. I shipped Gina's to Chicago without the Freezer 7 Pro. She installed it when it arrived.

BTW, Is that Zalman damaged? It looks for all the world like one of the fan blades has bent the fins on the cooler!

Bets regards,
    theone :>}

13. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

nope, the cooler is fine, its just a really strange picture, I think its because of the orange fan blades.

I just got a new PSU after the one I got was faulty, turns out I have a very similar probelm, looks like this PSU w/ rev 2.2 has a problem with my board, as I always get OC failed when I start up. However with a rev. 1 everthing is fine.

14. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@mike
    What P/S do you have?..

@theonejrs
    Nice price on the E6750... at $204...

How much for the E4300?.:p

Does my GA-965P-S3...support 1333fsb...I don't think it did "Officially" when I got it...but I believe it does "Unofficially" now support it...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  15. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

This

but is the new rev 2.2, rev 1.0 works totally fine (and I got my CPU up to 3Ghz on one), but the two rev2.2s give me overclocking errors (when there is no overclocking) and the first one could not keep any computer on for more then 30s.

16. crowy

crowy Guest

Lp531,
    Now that's what I'm talking about.
    Single 12v rail @60amps, thats peace of mind at a damn good price.

pc power and cooling make some of the best psu's around today so I would say this is a must.

scottuk,
    what will your pc be used for mostly?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2007
  17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    Best price I could find was the same site. $122 w/free shipping
    http://www.directron.com/bx80557e4300.html
    Yes and no! It will run the bus at 1333MHz, but it won't run a 1333 CPU. You need a native 1333 fsb to do that!

Shoot me a PM about the E4300 as I'll have one available in the next month or so!

Best Regards,
    Russ :>)

18. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

well, 2 returns later, I now have a working computer! :)

I have the CPU up to 2.9GHz, but I am saving to OC profiles, one at 2.5Ghz, and one at 2.9Ghz (will use later).

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

Who was looking for the E6750 for cheap??? link

[​IMG]

HTH someone..... ;)

.....gm

20. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Crowy
    For only $29...to go from the Thermatake 600...to a PC Power & Cooling Quad 750...which maxes at 810 amps...it is a easy choice...Single Rail...No Games with the rating...Just Plain Brute Power...

What do you think about going up to PC-8500 memory for just...$90 more...I think it would make a significant enough improvement in performance to justify the added cost over the PC-6400...

What about the HD2600XT cards...could save a little with comparable performance to the 8600GT...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.