1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,
    It depends on the application! There are some things the C2Ds with the 4 MB cache will beat it at. It has to do with how the cache works on the Quad. They aren't linked! Each pair of cores has it's own 2 MB that are independent of one another. The most 1 pair can access is it's own 2 MB! I just got done reading a Review and comparison from Neoseakers! Read Here:
    http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/core_2_duo_e6750_review/

As I remember it, DocTY had the same complaint with his. For most things the Quad stomps the C2D. Still, that's a great find for him. I only mentioned the rear fan because it only comes with a front one. The Silverstone is only about $25 AU, and I swear by them!

You got that right! LOL!! Very good price too, and it's built already! Not bad specs on the MSI MB either! You don't find as good a deal everyday.

Best Regards,
    Russ :>)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  2. crowy

crowy Guest

Russ,
    I think you misunderstood my comparison!!
    I was comparing the q6600 with the qx6800.

What you stated isn't quite correct.Each pair of cores shares 4mb cache,not each core having its own 2mb cache.
    Regards,Crowy.

3. popol24

popol24 Member

I talked to my friend and he reckons that the quad core is a bargain!!! So I'm thinking I might get the quad core. So the question is:

What are the downsides to it?

Apart from having twice the processing speed, how much better is this than to the build that I've mentioned before (which included the core duo)?

If I do buy it, would I need to buy other parts for better performance, or would it be just fine?

How long will this computer last (I'm hoping that this pc would last me 10 years lol)?

Also, this computer doesn't come with a monitor, does it?

Sorry, I ask too many questions LOL I just wanna make sure that I buy the right computer. (So much for trying to build it LOL Oh well, at least I can try overclocking it :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  4. crowy

crowy Guest

popol24,

1.No downside except all 4 cores may not be fully utilized very often.Remember the quad core is basically just 2 dual cores sharing the same piece of silicon.

2.The performance will blow you away.

3.10 years??Not sure about that but it may well last that long and a quad core processor is more future proof than a dual core.Who knows what will be available in 2 years to tempt people to upgrade?

4.No the monitor doesn't come with it,but if thats going to blow the budget stick with your old monitor until you can get what you want!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2007
  5. popol24

popol24 Member

Mate, you just sold this computer to me :) A few last questions now: (LOL)

Would this have an operating system already, or would I need to go get one myself?

Would I be able to play really good games on this pc? Cos from what I've been hearing from you guys, this is one beast of a computer and I may have to lay the PS2 down to rest LOL

Oh and one more thing, I would buy a flat screen monitor no matter what. I'm sick of that old box monitor LOL.

6. crowy

crowy Guest

What operating system are you using at the moment?

If you are using windows XP,and you have the disc just install it on the other computer ring microsofts activation line and tell them you have decomissioned your old pc and have upgraded to a newer computer and want to install it on that.Personally for now I would give vista a miss for at least another 2 or 3 years.

You will be able to play any game on the market today.

Maybe sell the old ps2 if you find it's not getting any use and recoup a bit of cash?

Good to hear your going to get a new monitor so you can fully appreciate what you have Bought.

One other thing,if your not sure how to install the operating system leave your current pc in use so you can still ask questions or search for advice.

Regards,Crowy

7. popol24

popol24 Member

I'm using Windows XP SP1 on the old computer! ROFL! I have to keep downloading the updates online so I can get the SP2 everytime I reformat the old computer. The computer I'm using now is fairly new. It's nothing flash, just the ones you use in public at universities and high schools. The fairly new one is the one I'm using at the moment as the old is busted up, hence I need a new one ASAP (won't even beep when you press the on button LOL!)

As for the disc for the fairly new pc, I'm not even sure if I still have it. My mom bought this computer so she doesn't remeber if this came with a disc. I so need to reformat this pc because it's got way too much spyware on it, that not even spybot, adaware, avg free can clean up.

Anyways, back to the topic. I don't think I'll be using Vista now, sadly, as I really liked the look of it. I'll have to buy an XP with SP2 in it. You reckon I can ask the guys if they can throw in an XP w/ SP2 at a cost?

Cheers,
    Popol

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

@popol,
    Do you go to a university? If so M$ has a deal with most of them for cheap or free downloads for STUDENTS. Just a thought. I don't know if that deal is a US thing or the entire planet. LOL. It's worth finding out tho....... :)

If you like the looks of Vista, which is cool btw. You can always d/l an "add on" from the many sites that have that sort of thing. Do a google search because I can't remember the website right now and I'm lazy. LOL.

Good luck to you mate!!!!

...gm

EDIT: I wasn't that lazy afterall. link for choices on transformation pack. :D

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,
    I guess I said it wrong. The way they explain it in the review is that each pair can't access the other's 2 MB of cache memory! The 6750 can access all 4 MB, so it's faster at some things than the Quads.

It wasn't the exact model he's getting in the review, but there was enough there to get the general idea!

Best Regards,
    Russ :>}

10. popol24

popol24 Member

I'll try that transformation pack once I've got a pc :) Also, I do go to university and there are deals here for students. One of the deals I know is with Dell. You get some sort of discount if you're a student, but it's not like you can buy parts separately. You buy a pre-built pc already, which kinda sucks. I think you can get the same deal with some Macintosh dealer as well.

But now that I think about, I do have a discount at some major electronic store (Dick Smith) here in Darwin for being part of this society at university. It's only a 5% discount, and I might use that discount to buy a monitor :)

edit:

I just reread your post and I think you were talking about getting vista at a discounted price for being a student, right? If so, I don't think we have that kind of deal here for university students (in Darwin, that is). But I would be able to get that a discounted price at Dick Smith :)

I think I'll stick with XP tho, cos my friend he's got some program that can change the appearance/theme of XP. So I might use that program to make it look like a Vista, or something better LOL!

Cheers,
    Popol

11. crowy

crowy Guest

popol24,
    Thats what greensman was talking about,the windows vista transformation pack.It just makes xp look like vista but you still have the benefit of 100% software compatibility.

If you can get a monitor at Dick Smith for a good price go for it!!

As far as service pack 2 goes,you can put it in your pipe and smoke it..LOL!!
    Iv'e had it before and had the automatic updates running and had far too many issues with it.
    Right now I'm runing XP pro with service pack 1.
    For me it is virtually issue free.
    I run Comodo personal firewall,Comodo Boclean anti malware,(both free and highly recommended)AVG 7.5 licensed,AVG 7.5 antispyware licensed.For my email I use mailwasher pro which is used to check emails before they reach your email program.It only downloads the first 20 lines of each email so if you have several emails coming in it only takes a few seconds to receive them.Any you don't want you just add to the blacklist,the ones you do want go on the friends list.When you hit process mail the blacklisted ones get deleted then your email program will open up and you only receive the emails on the friends list.There's a bit more to it than that but that's basically how it works.
    These seem to work well together and keep everything running smoothly.
    Regards,Crowy.

12. popol24

popol24 Member

Don't many softwares require SP2? I use SP2 and got no problems with it. Also, when I reformat a hard drive, installed XP and SP2, I manually turn off the automatic updates straight away.

P.S.

I've sent an inquiry about the quad core, and today, I showed my other friend about that same deal, he was tempted to buy it LOL! So I sent another inquiry asking if I can buy two sets of those with a discount LOL. My friend said, "There goes my tax refund" lol

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You know, for the first time, there's so much to read in my absence, I don't think I'm going to bother. Seems like people have been well catered for in my week-long absence!

14. crowy

crowy Guest

Sam,
    Don't feel left out!!!!
    I was hoping you might chime in somewhere with regards to gpu's!!!

popol24,
    If it needs it,it will let you know!!!

Just download what you need,not what M$ say's you need!!!!LMFAO?!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2007
  15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think it's already been said, if you want something cheap that gets the job done with most recent games, get a 7600GT, preferably by a company like BFG, EVGA or XFX.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hi Sam,
    Welcome back!
    Couldn't have said it better myself! Lot of bang for the buck!

Clock On,
    Russ

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I'm going to be building a pc for one of my buddies using some old leftover components I already have just laying around (intel P4 2.8 prescott 533 fsb cpu, gigabyte mobo, 1 stick 512mb corsair XMS DDR 400 ram, an AGP XFX FX5200 video card, and a lite-on SOHW-1653S DVDRW drive). I/we don't want to spend a lot on the other required components.

Here are some other components I have already decided to go with:

case

hard drive

I would like some second opinions between these cpu hsf's:

thermaltake

arctic cooling

masscool

and these p/s's

thermaltake 430 watt

cooler master 500 watt

raidmax 500 watt

tia.

18. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

I have used that thermaltake 430watt PSU in a few builds, and I have had no problems with it.

As for cooling I would go for the middle link.

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

Hey Mort!! Good to see you sneaking around here buddy. :)

I agree with Mike on the HSF but it's out of stock right now and therefore I would choose the Thermaltake. I've had a MASSCOOL and didn't like it much. I replaced it with an ASUS hsf and it does a better job I think. :)

On the PSU I'm liking the specs of the RAIDMAX but as you know I have limited experience with a lot of components so I really can't answer based on if I used the thing or not. :) Sorry buddy.

HOpefully Lp531, crowy, or one of the other SMARTER guys will kick in here. :D

....gm

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I'm not in a big toot for the cpu hsf. I/he can always use the oem fan for a bit. I do however want to get the components that are on special (free shipping) and have a MIR ordered.

looks like I'm gonna have to order a stick of ram also as I seem to have misplaced the stick I have/had. :(

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.