1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Of the three, the Arctic would be my pick. Nothing really wrong with the other choices but I don't like side firing fans! They disrupt the normal flow of air and wind up not cooling as well! I prefer the HSF to feed the case fan! Keeps the airflow smoother throughout the case.

Clock On,
    theone :>}

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

Mort it's not good to admit you misplaced your stick. hehehe. :)

Here's something to look at: link to RAM

hth buddy.... :)

3. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

What about these HD...I like the 16MB over the 8MB...Read the reviews on the HD...you chose...Lots of Failures and Heat Issues...being reported...It is an Old Design...

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive 16MB- OEM $67.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822144701

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive 16MB- OEM $74.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136074

On the CPU Coolers...The Thermatake fan is at least easily replaceable...What about this for $1 more on price...They are very quiet and I like the design better...The Thermatakes Clog up easily with dust...and its harder to clean...

ZALMAN CNPS7000B-ALCU ULTRA QUIET CPU COOLER FOR AMD K7, K8 AND INTEL 478
    http://www.svc.com/cnps7000b-alcu-75.html $24.95

I have never used the Arctic...You would need to take orientation into account...make sure you are not cancelling airflow by other components...P/S fan...Rear Case Fan...

I definitely did not like the masscool...To small of fan...

The Cooler Master P/S...hands down over the others...I wouldn't think about the Raidmax...they are...to put it bluntly...simply...Full of Sh!t on the specs that they are listing for it...

Have you looked at any of the Cooler Master Cases with P/S included...You might find something that can save a little cash...
    Take a look over hear at some Cooler Master Cases...They have some killer deals right now...
    http://www.svc.com/coolermaster-cases.html

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

greensman,

thanks but I don't need a set of matched sticks. the gigabyte mobo doesn't support dual channel. I'll probably just go with a 512 stick for now and he can always add another stick later.

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

damn it Lp531 :)

you're just bound and determined to make me spend more money! this thing will be a giant leep compared to what he has now even tho it is slow by todays standards.

I do like your suggestion on the hsf. I had one of those on my old northwood P4 3.4ghz rig. newegg didn't list it for socket 478. thanks for the suggestions. keep em coming.

6. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Its not my cash..:p

Did you see the Mystique just like yours...$69.95..(ROFL)... }X)

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

now you're hitting below the belt :) mine cost almost twice that with shipping :(

I looked at some cases with p/s but the shipping is what kills them. the CM elite I selected has free shipping plus a MIR. besides I will most likely get a better p/s, even with the CM 500 watt, that I linked to above for only $30 after MIR. not much to choose from for $60 with free shipping and especially not a CM case with tooless design.

8. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Did you check the shipping and MIR and Mail-in's from SVC...they usually have the cheapest shipping of any company I deal with...
    Do the math all the way through...and you might be surprised..

I like the philosophy of this company...they do not believe in making a penny from shipping and handling...I hate the games that some companies play..(NEWEGG)...with Sale Prices...Shipping and Handling Charges...

They are Big enough that they can cut great deals with the shippers...and pass it on to the consumers...The last Wavemaster I got from them shipped for $3.21...and they beat Newegg in customer service in my opinion...They are one of my favorite suppliers...

I just saw that they got the Black EVO 830 for $169...Now thats tempting for ME..:p and its the brand new revised version...I thought it was the first version...

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Lp531,

that same case that is going to cost me $30 from newegg after $10 MIR and free shipping, costs $56.20 after $10 MIR at SVC. the shipping alone was $31.20 which is about double what newegg usually charges to ship a case.

10. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Did you check "Super Saver Shipping" at makes a big difference in price...with Little to No additional shipping time... For me it took the Zalman...an EVO...And A Centurion 5 with 430 P/S from $45 to $16...

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

cut it down to $18.78 shipping. still $13.74 more than newegg. thanks for looking out for me tho. I went ahead and ordered the case and p/s from the egg. $59.98 after MIR's. like I said earlier, this will be leaps and bounds above his piece of crap Dell even if I do decide to go with the 8mb cache hdd.

12. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

If you order the CPU cooler from SVC...Your going to need a front fan for that Case...Get the fan at SVC...I buy almost all my fans from them because of price...the extra shipping will be next to nothing...
    I always scan their site for little parts...wiring...The extra parts will add nothing to shipping...The Super Saver...Saves a bunch...Its always worth it in most cases...

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

yeah, I've got a spare oem CM 120mm fan I intend on putting in the front. I'll probably hold off on the zalman 7000 for now. it can be easily installed at a later date.

BTW do you think there would be a noticable difference between the 8mb cache hdd and the 16mb hdd with this intel 2.8ghz 533 fsb cpu and DDR 400 ram?

14. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I just didn't like the reviews I was seeing...on that HD...and then...factor in the older design...to me makes it not worth it...

The 16Mb is just newer...it will be faster...and definitely more future proof...to me the 320 was the best deal...

The case from Newegg was the best deal...and it will be even better with the 500 P/S...

Let me ask you this...
    Have you ever looked back on a purchase and said...I wish I had Saved the $ and bought the cheaper one...

Now how many times you have wished you had bought the better...more expensive one...

Man...I am tempted on that EVO...I have a box of 10 Cooler Master 120mm just sitting here chanting...EVO...EVO...EVO...I have asked them to knock it Off...They just Chant Louder..:D

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

nice case but they're really jacking you on the shipping. $33.65 and that is super saver shipping.

if the hdd was for me, using other state of the art components, the decission would be easy. why put a borg warner 4 speed rock crusher behind a little stock inline 4 banger, ya know! :)

16. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

For me it was $16...for 2 cases...a P/S...and a CPU Cooler...and it would probably arrive Wednesday because of Holiday...

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

they like you better than me. must be my location verses yours. I checked again and still $33.65 for me.

so did you order it?

18. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Its the distance and Weight that is the difference...SVC charges what ever it costs them for shipping...and the EVO weights a ton...What Irks me about Newegg...No break for use in California on shipping...or additional items...plus I get nailed with the state sales tax...

Evo from SVC...
    $204.25 after rebate with ship & tax...

EVO from Newegg...
    $278.84 with free ship after tax...

I'm tempted...

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

yeah, I know. DocTY has the same complaint with newegg regarding sales tax. he tries to buy out of state.

no sales tax for me at newegg and I usually opt for the items with free shipping unless it's something I've just got to have and right now.

I also like Zip Zoom Fly since most of their stuff is free shipping but you gotta watch to be sure they didn't jack up the price to make up for shipping costs.

newegg isn't automatically who I choose to buy from. I always shop around.

that was a good find on the zalman cnps7000 at SVC. nobody else that I could find was even close.

20. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

SVC always has good prices on Fans...Fan Controllers...CPU Coolers...Cooler Master Cases...and Wiring...

I like ZipZoomFly...they really try to be competitive with Newegg...

How is Doc TY...I heard he is staying away from AD...Anyone know how much he was able to push the 680i with phase cooling...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.