1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    I know he's gotten an E6850 over 4GHz! Bodes well for my future 6750!

Clock On,
    theone

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

Just finished switching cases. DANG you Mort81. CompUSA had the Cooler Master Elite 330 case on sale for $45 plus a $20 MIR. With tax and all it will cost me $28 bucks to go from a POS to a decent little low dollar case. Thanks for the headsup. :D

I added an Antec TriCool to the front of the case cause I already had it and I'm curious to see if my temps go down if at all. :)

I also stuck a couple of new SATA dvd drives in there just to see how that's gonna fly too. LOL.

YOU PEOPLE ARE A BAD INFLUENCE!!! hehehe. Well according to my wife you are. :p

....gm

3. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Lp531,
    You know more about this than I do. LOL. I like both items. That Chakra for $60 is really hard to beat. :)

What do you guys think about this? I think that Mort81 already asked but I'm surrounded by 3 kiddies and only got 3 hours of sleep last night. :)

CM p/s $20 after MIR I think....

....gm

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

greensman,

you picked up the same case as I did for my buddies build, only you managed to get it for a couple dollars less and also yes that's the same p/s I went with except you found it for $10 less. you dog :) I hope it doesn't turn out to be a piece of junk since it is so dirt cheap, money wise.

6. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Good Find...$19 for a Cooler Master 500 P/S...Hard to beat...I might just pick one up...

I know I asked this Question Earlier...but I keep seeing conflicting reports...
    I have the GA-965P-S3...I believe it is rev1...does not say on box...and I did not buy it...It was a gift...

Does it support 1333FSB...with a Bios update?..
    This is from Gigabytes site...
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/NewTech/2006_motherboard_newtech/article_07_965_3.3.htm

Does anyone know first hand...if this is the case?..

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Enermax Chakra isn't to my taste, but meh, cases are a personal choice anyway, I love how they claim the 25cm side fan is 'patented', what the actual fan they use is patented? Unless it's their Enlobal marathon design (in which case it'll be rubbish) it'll probably not be produced by anyone who has anything to do with Enermax...

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    I could have sworn I answered that the other day! No, your GigaByte doesn't support a 1333 fsb! It won't recognize any 1333 CPUs, either Quad or C2D! It's not that they will run slower, they just won't run at all! Some 965 motherboards can just change the bios, but your's isn't one of them!
    http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2382
    No 1333 support!

Best Regards,
    theone :>}

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Suck! perhaps I shouldn't buy one...

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

I did it. I'm gonna pull out the P/S in the case I have now and go with the CM 500. I think that I have enough parts laying around now to build a low end internet beater and make a friend happy with a CHEAP little puter. :)

....gm

11. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@theonejrs
    Yes...You answered it once...
    I see that I am beginning to Irritate you..:)
    Best regards...LOL...
    Thats definitely not my intentions..:p

I was just asking again...since it is definitely unclear on Gigabytes site...and their statement on the matter are so vague...they are saying that the rev3 of my board definitely does...and in the next paragraph say some rev1's do...but they don't say specifically what boards they are talking about...in that statement...

I have seen it stated...both ways...in other forums...as to whether it does...or does not...if your 100% sure...I will take your word...

I was just wondering if you knew what the change was?..that made Rev3 support it while rev1 does not...

12. crowy

crowy Guest

Lp531,
    That's answered here:
    To start, GIGABYTE has optimized the FSB routing design to improve signal quality for not only 1333MHz FSB CPUs, but for Intel quad-core processors as well. By widening the FSB trace routing, FSB impedance has been reduced from 50 ohms to 42 ohms. This impedance means there is less resistance for the electrical signal to travel between the CPU and the FSB, increasing the speed at which the signal travels and improving signal quality.

From what I'm reading here,they have re routed the path between the cpu and fsb to make it more efficient(IE:shortened the distance of the path travelled)and used wider copper track to reduce resistance between the CPU and the FSB(from 50 to 42 ohms as stated).

Less resistance = more speed.Like pouring 1 gallon of water through a
    1 inch pipe.Then pouring 1 gallon of water through a 2 inch pipe.The 2 inch pipe will allow the 1 gallon of water to empty quicker because there is less restriction for the water flowing through it.Same as using wider copper on the pcb copper traces.There is less resistance(impedance) for the current flowing through the copper traces so it can travel faster.

Regards,Crowy.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2007
  13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    I wasn't getting irritated, I just forget sometimes! Old Age!!! LOL!!
    Aparently some GigaByte motherboards lack the hardware to run the 1333 chips. Those are the ones that you can't use them in, at all!

If you opened up the GigaByte link I sent and checked compatibility there is no support listed for anything with a 1333 fsb with your MB!

Best Regards,
    theone :>)

14. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Thanks Crowy...Your explanation was much more detailed then the answer that I had just found linked below...

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4507

Mine at least explained why I thought I could do it with a bios update...because Gigabyte for a while thought they could do it with a bios update....but apparently they did not have much success with it...

Basically the Rev3 and the GA-965P-DS3 are really a different board...with different Circuitry...and additional components...they are really more then just a Revision...I always thought it was just the change to solid caps...that was the difference between the two...

I like how you used the water and pipe explanation...I do the same think when trying to explain FSB...Bandwidth...and Data Flow in general...to someone who does not understand the concept...I always put it in plumbing terms...Most people can understand it in those terms...

Thanks You,
    theonejrs and Crowy for the time and Info...looks like a Quad Core is really the only upgrade course for me...as far as CPU's go...

15. crowy

crowy Guest

Lp531,
    No worries buddy:)
    Don't sound so disappointed that a quad core is "all" you can upgrade too!!!

Regards,Crowy.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I don't know who's quote this is, and I did look back to see if I could find it. Anyway, The quote is not quite correct. The 965-P chipset was the first existing Chipset to be specifically ported to the C2D. It also is Quad Compatible or for any CPU needing a native fsb to work! Some motherboards don't have the hardware, so a bios flash won't work!

Best Regards,
    theone :>}

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It looks like an auto-translate from another language anyway...

18. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@theonejrs
    The quote was from a interview with "Rockson Chiang, the Technical Marketing Manager of newly formed Gigabyte United Inc"...

I linked to the interview as well...so people could read it all if they wished...

My confusion was with how could a change to solid capacitors allow a FSB increase...which is what I had thought was the only change besides Bios...between the GA-965P-S3rev1 and a GA-965P-DS3...Plus I thought that the only difference between the S3rev1 and the S3rev3 was a Bios...all components and circuitry being the same...which is not the case at all...

I did not realize that the boards Circuitry was different with additional components...and that the GA-965P-S3rev3 was basically the exact same board as the GA-965P-DS3...with solid caps being the only difference between the 2 boards...Basically the Rev3 board is closer related to the D board then the S board...

Then add the confusion of Gigabytes attempt to enable 1333FSB thru a Bios update for the GA-965P-S3rev1...which at first they were touting...then backed away from...

I can now see why their was all the confusion and mixed statements about what would work...and then not work...in the various articles I was reading on the subject...

Now I finally understand all the nuance's between the 3 boards...

19. popol24

popol24 Member

Ok, ok, I'm back :)

So now, I'm looking for a monitor, and having a hard time looking for one, and unsure if it is the right choice. The question now is, what makes a good monitor?

I found this one:

http://www.itestate.com.au/products_detail.asp?code=PD00004725

The response time is like 2ms and the max resolution is 1680 x 1050. I think one of you guys told me that the lower response time the better. Thanks again guys, and btw, I'm getting the computer recommended by crowy tomorrow :)

Cheers again guys!
    Popol

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.