1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Budget-Conscious Dream Machine!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Praetor, Jul 5, 2004.

1. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

the easiest way to boost your pcs performance is to give it more ram. then if you can a graphics card.

to do this you will need to find out what your ram is, and how much your mobo will take. if you still have the manual that came with it, it will tell you in it. if not you could have a look at the board as most say the model on them, or and this is the easiest way without the manual, you could download cpuz and it will tell you all the info about all your pc.

once you know which mobo it is go to the manufactors website and it will tell you how much of which type of ram you can install.

2. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

hey i agree with u...but if u hav a old pc...rather build a new one than upgrading it...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  3. slymind

slymind Guest

I've spent about 600 dollars building my computer
    pentium 4 1mb 3ghz prescott ht
    2.5gb of ram in dual channel mode
    and a ati x850xt agp video card with rage theatre chip

and to be honest I haven't played a game yet including oblivion, quake 4 and half life 2 episode one that has convinced me that I am behind the curve since all of them play at 1600X1200 on the highest settings just fine. I don't see the need to build a new computer everytime a new program comes out but I will be keeping my eye on that new rpu thats in developement.

You can build an awesome computer on a reasonable budget it just depends on what you want it to do. you don't have to have "the latest and greatest in technology" to thoroughly enjoy your computer, in fact I use my dvd player and vivo function way more than I play any pc games.

4. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yes that also one way...but u cant hav a DX10 graphics card can u...no u hav agp and not pci-e...but wat u said is tru u can build a good computer on a reasonable price...

5. slymind

slymind Guest

That may be true but it wouldn't cost much more in terms of budget to build something with pci-express considering I built my computer 2 years ago and the significant price drop in amd processors

6. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yes .i know that...but future games requirement r getting higher and higher u dont expect ur AGP card can handle it can u...even if it can but cant last a long time...BUT ur rig is still good

7. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

agp is not realy a problem, you can get a 1950xt on agp.

edit

its the manufactor's that dont want to make all their lines for it thats the problem, they know that some people who want the best stuff will buy a new mobo and ram if they have to, so we dont get the choice we should for agp.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  8. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

ya that is tru...i'm stuck with my FX5200 agp...for years and years...now i'm getting pissed...can play modern games but not all...but if u insist of buying agp cards...go for it...i'm not stopping u...since its beta than my crappy card...

9. pooface

pooface Member

I am not sure if this is where I should post this so if I am posting in the wrong forum let me know and I apologize in advance. I am a newbie trying to build a computer. I know a few guys that have built quite a few computers, so I won't be building it, they will. But I still have to pick the components, which is much more complicated and difficult than I thought. My budget is between $2000.00 and $2500.00. I have been looking at components on newegg.com. The following is a list of components I have chosen.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor $309.00

CPU Cooling: COOLER MASTER RR-LIE-L9E1-GP Rifle CPU Cooler $14.99

Motherboard: ???

RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2
    6400) $263.00

Video Card: BFG Tech BFGR88768GTXE GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI
    Express x16 HDCP Video Card $629.00

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 70SB073A00000
    7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card $89.99

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JBRTL 320GB 7200 RPM IDE
    Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive $131.99

CD/DVD Drives: SONY Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s $18.99
    SONY 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write Black
    IDE Model DRU120C 44.99

Power Supply: Thermaltake toughpower W0117RU ATX12V/ EPS12V 750W
    Power Supply $189.99

Case: ???

I will be using this computer for gaming, and I would like to have the best gaming system possible for around $2000.00. My biggest problem is that I don't know if all these components will be compatable with each other. I have no idea what kind of motherboard to get, as I don't know anything about them. I would really like to be able to upgrade my computer later on, maybe after a year or two, so I need a motherboard that will let me upgrade. I am planning on getting a second video card to run in sli mode, but I won't be doing that for a while. I also don't know what case to buy, I think I need an ATX case but I'm not sure. I am not planning on overclocking, and I really don't know what to do about cooling. Should I stick with whatever fan comes with the case, or should I get a better cooling system, and do I really need a cpu cooling fan. Like I said, I am a super newb, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I am aware that I don't know what I am doing, so if you think I should change a component let me know. Thanks

10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

nvidia have just released a new chipset for conroe, and as yet it has not widely been tested, so it is hard to recomend it. but saying that the few reviews of it do look good. now heres the tricky bit, which to go for, the nf68i might get a new bios which fixxes all known bugs and end up being the best beyond doubt. the asus p5w on the other hand has been out for a while, has had all the bugs ironed out and pushes the conroe to its limits. thing is if the above happens and the nf68i kicks arse you will think, "i should of got that" and possibly end up buying that then. if you can wait a few weeks to see how it pans out i would, if you want to buy it today...if your a gambling man get the nf68i, if you want tried and tested get the p5w.

mobo $250
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813188009
    could be the best choice?

mobo #2 $183
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131045
    tried and tested performer.

case's are a pesonal thing, at the end of the day you have to live with it. what you should look for is one that has been built with airflow in mind, big fans to push and pull the air through the case with as few blockages in between. this case show all the drive bays inline with the case, no blockages. this on the other hand has the mounted sidways to the case which will block some of the air. this is a nice case that ticks all the right boxes for me, my only concerns with it are, the lack of filters on the induction vents. not a major issue, you just need to clean the insides every couple of months, and where would you get a 200mm fan if that one breaks? thing is you might hate its looks and thats what i mean by its a personal thing.

good luck and have fun building :)

edit
    if you want a good aftermarket hsf get this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186134

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  11. pooface

pooface Member

First off, thank you so much for replying, you have no idea how much any reply helps me. To show you how much of a newb I am, I understood very little of what was said about a motherboard. I know I am over my head here, but I really don't have any other choice. I need to order everything by the end of the month, and the custom computer builders are too expensive, I can save more than $500 by buying at newegg and building myself, and it will be a much better system. I just have a few questions. I'm not sure how pivotal it is for me to get a top of the line mobo. I don't plan on overclocking at all, I just want to be able to upgrade to a dual video card SLI setup, add more RAM, and have room and the capability to upgrade with future tech. So with that said, do you think I should get the nf68i mobo? I have read some reviews on the nf68i and it seems like most people love it, so if it's pivotal for a great gaming rig I will get it, but if it only helps with things like overclocking than I won't need it.

I am confused about cooling, if I don't overclock, do I need any extra fans or cooling systems, or are the case fans enough? I also need to know if all the other components look O.K. Really the only thing I am sure of is what video card to get. I am pretty sure about the RAM, but I don't know if the hard drive, power supply and CD/DVD drives I listed are the right choice. I am pretty sure the Intel E6600 is the best processor for my needs, and I don't really need an expensive sound card, so I am pretty sure about that. If anyone can confirm that all the components are a good choice I would appreciate it.

In my list I think I listed all the components I need to build a computer, but I am not sure if I am forgetting something. Is there anything I am forgetting about in my list? I know I need a monitor and keyboard etc... but I didn't add them in the list. I know I am asking for a lot of information and I apologize if it's too much, I just don't want to spend a ton of money on a system that ends up being crap. Thanks again for all the help.

12. a7xsoad

a7xsoad Regular member

your hard drive needs to be better if you want to play games on it. I recommend a raptor because of the higher rpm and it's an SATA connection so the read/write rate is faster.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136011

I would also get a storage drive for movies and music. The raptor should be used for gaming apps and yous OS. this storage hd should do.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144417

Your dvd and cd drives are fine. You have quality ram and since you won't be overclocking that won't be an issue. I would go for the second motherboard marsey99 suggested. You won't have to worry about stability.

I would recommend changing the cpu cooler you have to a better one. Since you won't be overlcoking you might be fine with the stock cooler, but this cooler would definitely make your cpu cooler.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118003

btw, your on your way to having a badass system.

13. hoddey

hoddey Regular member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  14. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

So lets have an update fellas! Whats a recent dream budget machine?

Haha the one of the first page is getting a little old now!

Il be paying big attention to this as building a budget concious machine in the coming weeks!!

Lecsiy

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I Would say:

e6300 or e6400

2GB dual channel Corsair XMS DDR2 667

Gigabyte GA-965 S3

7600GT

Cooler Master Centurion

Hiper 580W

Seagate Barracuda 120GB

Samsung DVD Burner

I Think it comes out to about $800

16. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

well apparently no one reads this topic anymore, but I'll give it a shot, as I need some help/advice. I just put together a computer for my friend for less then 350... granted it's completely stripped, and has nothing on it except the bare essentials to make it run, since that's all he needs... (machspeed mobo, 400W psu/case, 3.06 pentium D, 1 Gb RAM,Sony DVD-RW, 2x 80mm case fans) and everything else he already had.... Anyway, I was using it earlier today, and I was like holy shit, this computer is a hundred times faster then mine lol, so NOW I wanna build me a computer... but I'm gonna have to be extremely budget also. I want to buy the necessary parts to make it function for now, and add more parts as needed in the future... with that in mind, do you think its possible to build a computer for LESS then 500 dollars with the future in mind??? I want to be able to upgrade to Core2Duo, at least 2GB ram, high end graphics of course (for future gaming!)??? I have other stuff (FDD, HDD, DVD-RW, Case, 19 inch flat panel monitor) etc. etc.

Anyway so i a nutshell, I want a basic sub 500 USD system that will be HIGHLY upgradeable in the future... any thoughts?
    The only parts I think I need to purchase immediately (for basic operation) are:

PSU
    maaaybe a better case? currently its a really shitty one lol
    MOBO
    RAM
    SATA HDD? (my older ones are not sata)
    Im pretty sure I can recycle everything else from my old computer...

Thanks

17. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

oh and obviously I'll need a CPU also, lol... I knew I was missing something!

I was thinking of getting a 775 mobo, that can run pentium D, and core2Duo, so I can get the pentium for now and then upgrade later???

18. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Member

I am a pretty experianced computer builder, I've been at it for around 5 years.
    I am getting parts for a new gaming rig, here is the part list:
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86GHz)
    Mobo: ASUS P5N-E SLI (LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX)
    Ram: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
    GPU: NVIDIA 8800GTX
    HDD: Samsung 200Gb
    Powersource: Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
    Case: XION Stacker

I am trying to go as cheap as possible but still make a killer gaming rig. I was also considering the Intel E4300 but I am not sure. I believe both CPU's are excellent for overclocking.

This is also my first time using a NVIDIA cards (been a ati guy for a LONG time, 10 cards or something, lol). I believe this is a killer card.

So does anyone have any suggestions?
    1. I am not familiar with G.Skill for ram, are they a decent company? Could you recommend another brand is is better but costs the same?
    2. What processor should I get E6300 or E4300?
    3. I know both the new CPU's are 64bit processors, should I use Windows Professional x64 or stick with the good old Windows Pro 32bit?

Thanks for the help guys! (Note I initally posted this in the general other PC hardware, then I figured this was a better place to post it, so if any mods read this, please delete the other post, thanks!)

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

First off. The 8800GTX is a great card... but you could go cheaper and get a 640MB 8800GTS. It's like SLi 7900GTX's.

And stay with Windows XP Pro 32-bit. X64 has driver issues and bad program support.

And G Skill is great RAM. I think they're relatively new but they have made a great reputation.

Also. If you want better overclocking I would get the e4300. Its lower FSB gives it a higher ceiling for clocks. But if you want better stock speed I'd get the e6300. Both perform about the same as an Athlon X2 4200+ to a X2 4400+. But when you crank 'em up to about 2.6GHz no AMD processor will even touch them. And at 3.2GHz its almost overkill for anything.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  20. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Member

Cool, thanks for the response.
    I went with G.Skill ram. I normally use Kingston or Mushkin but these guys seem good. I don't really want to skimp with the Videocard because I want to make a killer gaming rig and I know in a couple years when it starts showing it's age, I can SLI another 8800GTX it can compete once again =)
    I also went with the E4300, I hope it will live up to the hype!