1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mastaprk, Apr 17, 2004.

1. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

@chappy89
    Yes. If your case has slots for them and you have the power connections.

2. chappy89

chappy89 Guest

how do i fid out if its got the extra slots for it????

When pplz say they took the side off the case did they cut it out or wat ???

3. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

The case should easily come apart from the top or the backside.

You'll have to look and see if you have mounting places for extra fans.

4. FIHSNERD

FIHSNERD Guest

hey blue, were u talking to me?
    if soo... i dont drop in here alot so just pm me...

5. pressed

pressed Regular member

I want to jump into the forray of liquid/water cooling, mostly for over-clocking but I think it would also be nice to keep my components running for years to come.

What I have now is a 3800+ Am2 socket windsor core Athlon x2, with stock heat sinc and fan, and I have an Antec P-180 case with the 3 120 mm fans it comes with running at full speed, and for my graphics card I have a ATI X1800XT all in wonder card, with its stock fan.

since this would be my first liquid cooling setup, what would everyone suggest for me? I know what i'm getting into and that this can be pricey so budget is not too much of a problem. Also, ease of installation is a big factor and so is obviously reliabilty and I'd like to be able to easily fill the resevoir too.

Oh yea forgot to mention: according to my AI-life monitor on my ASUS mobo, it seems to run at about 45 C idle and about 50-55 C under load..I think.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  6. Retro_rc

Retro_rc Regular member

I'm really interested in water-cooling too but
    i'm really clueless about it
    so my most stupid question is can it at the worst case that the tubes cut or let go

i know its stupid but just wondering

7. ivymike

ivymike Regular member

I wouldn't be as concerned with CPU/GPU cooling as I would be with HDD cooling. It is relatively easy to keep a CPU cool -Get a Heatpipe tower cooler. GPU's can be kept cool with a drive slot blower. But HDD's are extremely hard to keep cool. Heat is a major factor in HDD failures. I have modified both of my computers with high CFM fans to blow air across my hard drives to keep them cool. I have looked at the Masscool air conditioned case which I determined to be too expensive. There was a company that made a ducted external AC unit for computers but they stopped making them. I think that the HDD manufacturers should concentrate their efforts on hard drive cooling.

8. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i too have an evo33 and i agree they do rock. i have mine on low most of the time then turn it up when i play games or encode stuff, which means that my temp is always about 36c.

iv got it on a semp 3400 @2.42ghz and with it on full speed my temps are 32c idle 36c burn, and with it spinning at low speeds my temps are 36c idle and 47c burn. the low speed setting gives about the same temps as stock speeds and refference heat sink fan and is almost silent.

9. serole

serole Member

i have an ak-785cu fan on my chip the now but i am wanting to make it look more trendy and get an lcd fan also is it possible to replace the fan on itsown with out the heatsink getting replaced

does anyone have any idea wich one would be best to get that would work

this was the one i was thinking about getting

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cool-Blue-Chipset-...1QQcmdZViewItem

is this the right kind

i have an amd athlon xp 2600+ processor 2.09 ghz 1gb ram with an acpi uniprocessor

if this is not the details required could someone let me know what is required

thank you

10. forumcrew

forumcrew Regular member

My GPU is running at 76 C in just basic operations.. like browsing the web. Now my CPU only runs at 33 C. I just upgraded to an Antec P180 case , and it lowered the idle temp of my CPU by about 10 and my GPU did drop down from about 81. This is pretty damn hot for not running a game or anything.. any ideas? Its a Geforce 6800 GT

11. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

serole
    i would guess that you can just swap the fan as most have a 3 pin connection as long as you find one the same size. but i would watch the temps like a hawk for a few days after swapping fans. akasa do a range of heatsinks that already have blue leds in them if the temps get higher after you swap fans.

forumcrew
    thats pretty cool for your cpu but the gpu does sound warm to me, but i do not know that card mines a 7600gt and that idles at 50c. first up is the fan on the gcard clean of dust and such as that would reduce the air flow,does it whine? as that would mean its coming to the end of its life and you need a new cooler for the card. if not those, is your new case tidy? i mean the wires are as tidy as you can get them not just all over the show, as they can reduce and redirect the airflow. other than that, can you fit more fans to the new case? if not swap the ones that are in it with ones that move more air thru the case.

12. forumcrew

forumcrew Regular member

the case is excellent as far as air flow goes. And right now it has 4 120's and an 80 in it.. thats why the CPU is so cool. It just seems no matter what I do the GPU stays hot. I guess ill get a pci fan to put right under it.. should i have it blow on it or exhaust away from it? I just put an 80 under it at the back of the case sitting on top of a USB thingy to exhaust out the back.

13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i was just covering all the angles. i thought your case would be in good order to be honest.

maybe this would fix the problem

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?catid=787&prodid=HS-009-AR

as that does sound too hot at idle

[bold]edit[/bold]

just a side note about my evo33.

i fitted it first time with the preapplied thermal paste and i was happy with the temps it gave me but they werent as good as some of the reviews claimed. so today i went and got some akasa thermal compound 450 (the silver based stuff) and refitted it. it has give me even lower temps. my temps are now 30c idle and 38c burn with the fan on lowest speeds and 25c idle and 32c burn on its highest speed. now this is with a room temp of 23c and a 20% overclock on my sempron 3400+.

i cannot reccomend this fan highly enough but you need to change the thermal paste for silver based stuff to get the best results.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  14. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

[​IMG]

At last my water-cooling project is 98% completed.

It was a real pain sourcing all the bits I wanted, and found that most of the retailers that actually supply the quality separate components, don't quite match up with the service of the larger companies who only stock the one box kit solutions.
    (wrong items shipped, parts missing etc... etc...)

However, as can be seen the end result is a very compact build which only resulted in 10 4.5mm holes being drilled in the case. (2 on the base panel to hold the Laing D5-Vario pump, and 8 on the rear motherboard tray to hold my radiator mounting bracket).

The results in cooling are far better than anticipated.
    33-34`C Idle 37-38`C Full Load temps for the CPU clocked from 2.4 to 3.6GHz.
    GPU has been clocked from 650/800 to 680/870 and the idle temp has still gone down from about 44`C to 27`C.
    Main gains so far are the reduction in system noise, and the vastly decreased temperatures at idle, and full load.
    No more vast incrases in temp with loading either, the GPU at full swing only reached 29`C max, and the CPU 38`C.

15. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@bigdk
    it looks nice aswel, a job well done.

those temps are amazing with that ammount of oc you have.

i have my 7600gt oced to 625 core and 840 mem and it is running at 50c from start up. anyone got any reccomendations as to which 3rd party cooler would work best?

thanks in advance guys.

16. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Cheers for the comments.
    I was using the Zalman VF900-CU LED which is compatible with the 7600 series cards as well.
    It was very quiet and certainly beat the stock cooler for cooling.

17. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

thanks for that i will look into those, when i had a look around a couple of weeks ago none of the ones i looked at said they would fit a 7600.

i think everyone else is still in the building and ocing threads but i let them know that your back before.

bigdk how does it cool the gpu? it looks like it goes onto the back of the card not to the gpu chip on the other side, or is it just hooked over the top of the card?

[bold]edit[/bold]

those zalmans are nice, and accordinding to their info any cooler that will fit a 6800 will fit my 7600, but i have a problem with it. it needs to be plugged into a 3pin fan header on my mobo and i dont have any spare. i already have 2 going into one for my case fans(and my front fan has started making a whiney noise but thats another story) so i realy would like one that i can plug into the card, or a molex, any one got any other idea of a gpu cooler that fits the bill.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  18. BigCharb

BigCharb Guest

Quick question, can i use superglue instead of thermal paist? i want to stick a heat sink to an old graphic card i wanna over clock. currently it has no heat sink. its an ATI RAGE 2c 64mb. or even if i dont over clock it, will the heat sink cool down the chip with supeglue between them. thanx :)

19. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

use thermal paste as the heat will cook the glue off

20. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

to stick a heatsink to your gpu you will need self adesive thermal pads as the paste will not hold it in place