1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mastaprk, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

BigDK,

WOW, I'm very impressed with your temps, especially cpu cores.

redice,

I have this antec 3 speed fan in the front of my case and really like it. mine has blue leds instead of read. it's on medium speed.

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I use those fans, they're OK, and look quite cool, unfortunately the dB per CFM rating is a bit high, especially at maximum speed, but then who runs fans at maximum speed these days!

3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Actually I've realised my core temps are all wrong.
    The software used can't read below -2, so what ever I use it shows as being -2.

If I use the BIOS temp monitor, then I get the actual reading of about -35`C at idle (slightly better), and thats with the CPU cranked up to 4.05 GHz as well (highest stable OC with the CPU, although it's posted to windows and benched some tests at 4.15GHZ

Max stable OC CPUz
    http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=198267

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's more like what I'd expect to see from Phase change!

5. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Here's the latest picture of the cooling setup.

Firstly the phase cooler before install.
    [​IMG]

Here's how it all went together.
    [​IMG]

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That case is vast! Is it just that Mountain Mod?

7. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Its an 18x18x18 Mountain mod case, with my own build bottom case.

If you need lots of room, there's not much out there that can beat it.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You don't say! That sure is impressive, I just don't see why they have to be so incredibly expensive. I'd love to have one, but I just can't justify a couple of hundred quid for one.

9. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I think they are very expensive, but if you consider the cost of getting something similar made from scratch it isn't as bad as it could be, and these are hand made as well.

I was lucky that I got mine for £80 off of eBay, but then I had to spend a lot of time working on it, and paid extra for the replacement panel inserts which I then had to cut down and fit.

If I was doing it all again, I would just pay the one price and have it all done in one go.

Mine is only spray painted as well, although done professionally by a friend, I would have preferred powder coating as it looks better and paint can get scratched too easily.

10. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Hi all, sorry if I repeat something that's already been said (I don't have the time to read through all 12 pages lol) but I'm interested in getting liquid cooling for my new PC (not purchased yet). Of course it will be a DIY job, because I'm a big fan of taking the time to do it properly instead of giving it to some super busy computer store that will do a rush job. My only concern is... how much chance of a leak is there? I take my current computer to LAN parties quite a bit, so it does a lot of moving around. Presuming at least one person in here has experience in the matter, how strong are the connections between pipe and cpu/radiator/reservoir?

11. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

It all depends on how good your work is.
    I use 7/16" tubing on 1/2" barbs; those on their own will hold the joint perfectly.
    With the clips on top you won’t have any accidents; using a 5.25" bay mount reservoir will also mean that you won’t have any external pipes to that.
    The only other issue would be the radiator, if you can get it in the case then you'll avoid the chance of damaging it when moving, otherwise you can use a shroud to protect it.

12. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

well the case I'm looking at is an antec nine hundred, and I assume it has the proper mounts and enough room for the radiator to go inside. and by a 5.25in bay reservoir you mean something like..
    http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Liquid/DIY/cl-w0005-01/cl-w0005-01.asp
    The connections on the thermaltake ones seem to be weird.. I watched a video of a guy installing it and im sure the pipes were like.. pushed in and bolted over or SOMETHING like that. I dont know, maybe I was dreaming. I can't seem to find any larger photos than the ones on the thermaltake site to check it out in detail.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  13. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

That type of res is exactly what I mean.
    The fittings you've seen are compression type, I don't use them I think they're too awkward to get right compared to push over fittings.
    If you use the 7/16" pipe and heat the end in hot water, it pushes over easily and then shrinks down to make a very tight fit.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah, another Antec 900 user at a LAN party. When I first brought mine to the event I go to, I was the only person with one, now including me there are 4 people that use it. Very popular LAN gaming case. None of them were liquid cooled, however, but I don't see why it couldn't be done.

15. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Hi,

The MX-1 thermal paste takes about a week to setup according to the AC website. I just purchased an Arctic Freezer pro 7 and was going to install it on Friday/Saturday, but I'm leaving on Sunday for a vacation. Should I postpone installing the HSF until I'll be able to use my computer during the setup time for the thermal paste?

Thanks.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The setup period for thermal grease typically requires heat (i.e. the PC to be on) so you may as well leave the application until you get back, it won't set itself up! Your PC should be fine to use from the outset though.

17. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Thanks sammmorris.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No problem, glad to be of assistance.

19. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

My 8800GTS tends to build up heat at the bottom of my case where I don't have any fans. I figured a slot fan would work except I'm out of 4-pin power connectors, so is there a good exhaust slot fan that can run off of the 3-pin connectors on my motherboard?

Thanks.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Most slot fan units come with a passthrough connector that allows you to use them without needing any extra plugs.
    [​IMG]