1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mastaprk, Apr 17, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not what I wrote though, is it?

Lol I'm not sensitive, but you seemed persistent in pointing out I'd done something wrong...

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You weren't talking about my overclock and I wasn't talking about your math, just a big mis understanding. So hows life?

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I know it's not technically correct but I use it to verify the percentage of overclock reported in OCCT and others. It's simple and it works!

If I input my 1800MHz and multiply it x 78% and then hit + and then =, I get 3204, which is my speed at a 78% OC! I know 50% is not an equation! It's just simpler for math dummies like me! LOL!! I hate math! That's why I have a calculator! ROFLMAO!!!

Clockin On @78%,
    theone :>)

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I hate math too, I am going to be a Doctor so math is almost useless to me lol. Although I never got anything less than 90% in math I NEVER liked it.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I didn't use to, and then the degree came along, and suddenly I suck.

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol what degree? I'm still in high school, I still have an year to go, then off to USUHS.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Electronic Engineering.

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Is that why you are so interested with computers?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, given my less than awe-inspiring performance this year, I may well be changing to do a Computer Science degree....

10. Mike951

Mike951 Member

Hi, I just built a new computer with an ECS G33T-M2 Motherboard, an Intel Core 2 Duo E6750, 2gb of Corsair 6400 (800mhz) synched ram, and a 300w Power Supply (have yet to get the vid card and better power supply).

Anyway, here's the deal, when I first got everything running my CPU was reporting temperatures of 100 degrees Celsius on idle, while the system itself was reporting at 50 degrees Celsius, I added in 2 fans and the processor then reported at 90 degrees C. idle, So after looking around a bit I heard that maybe my cpu fan needed to be remounted.

I did that and the temperature went down to 38 C. on Idle (38 is the max as said by manual) with the system temperature having little or no change.

Now the CPU is reporting temperatures of 40-45 on idle and as high as 70 on load (WC3) while the system temp remains relatively the same (Sys Temp is max of 70). Why is it reporting so high? and is there anything I might do to fix this problem?

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

What are you using to check temps. Try core temp, look for it on google.
    EDIT: Did you reapply the arctic silver when you remounted? BTW what HSF are you using.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mike951,
    A little more info would be helpful, especially considering the fact that the 6750 is normally a very cool running chip! What kind of case is all this in? What kind, size and CFM are the fans and where are they located? What are you using for a CPU Cooler?

My personal experience with ECS has been poor, ranging from very poor quality to non-factual information. The only one I bought was a CPU/MB combo with a P4 3.0/800 prescot. It said Northwood and Prescot compatible on both the box and in the manual. It wasn't. Fry's finally gave me back my money for just the MB and I kept the CPU. I've also worked on a number of them and find that every one I've come across have poor quality construction and aren't very good for any kind of overclocking. The shame is that the E6750 is a great CPU and definately deserves a better MB. I'll be putting one in mine to replace an E4300 in the next 4-6 weeks. I have a GigaByte GA-965P-DS3 v1.33 MB and it's gonna rock in it. Not a whole lot more money than the ECS you have goes for.

It you download CoreTemp, be careful. Some motherboards (like mine) are not compatible with it. On mine it resets the computer almost as soon as the program starts. Works fine on the V1.0 MB, but not the 1.33. This is the next revision up from mine:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128012
    As you can see, the price difference is not that much. Lot's of overclocking adjustments and far superior to what you have now. That CPU will scream in that MB! I know everyone is jumping up and down about the new P-3x motherboards, but all the 965P and G chipsets "teething" problems are behind them so for now until the newer chipsets have some time to prove themselves, I stick with the 965!

Best Regards,
    theone :>}

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I prefer the 965s, they are proven overclockers, and I agree VERY MUCH on the quality of ECS motherboards, they are horrible.

14. Mike951

Mike951 Member

#1:Is arctic silver the silicon stuff you put on the cpu/fan mount? If so I got more of it and reapplied it. What does HSF mean exactly? I used the bios and Core Temp, the latter usually reports 44C for Core #0 and same or similar for Core #1. The bios reports 40C. at the same time and the system temp is generally at or below 50C. . Heres a screen of core temp: http://img354.imageshack.us/my.php?image=coretempky9.png

#2:Thanks for the replys, I got the MB as part of a package deal but I will consider your info. I am using an ATX case and I only have the specs on 1 of the fans, I may be able to find the other one later. The cpu fan came with the processor if you'd like specs on it I'll try to find them, it consists of a Heat sink/Fan combo. The specs for one of the fans is as follows:
    Fan Size: 80 x 80 x 25mm
    12Volt, 0.96 Watt, 0.08 Ampere Current with +- 10% for all.
    R.P.M.:2200
    CFM: 27.50

The second fan fits a normal atx case in the mounting below the power supply, I'll try to get specs on it later.

Edit/P.S.:Almost forgot, both fans are located on the back and suck out air. I just found out that the friend of mine who got the first fan just took it off some power supply. The case isn't pretty and at the moment and I'm just making due with what's available. The case is a bit interesting and the 1st fan is actually near where the expansion cards would go, the 2nd(power supply fan) goes in the standard place.

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Do you have a link to your case? HSF means Heatsink and Fan. I was asking what kind of heatsink did you get. BTW are those temps idle or load?

16. Mike951

Mike951 Member

You can see the what kind of heatsink/fan are on the cpu from my previous post. Those temps are idle >_< , the load temps can get rather high. (70C. is the highest it has reported after the re-seating of the CPU HSF, for now...)

P.S. Sorry I don't understand a lot of things but what do you mean by link?

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I meant if you bought it online, could you give a link to a webpage that is selling it so we know what it looks like. A picture would work as well. 70C is really too high.

You posted the fan specs of the HSF but I could have the same fan on two different HSF and it could have a HUGE difference. The design of the metal part is very important, that decides how good it will cool. I'm guessing you have the stock Intel fan, which if you have a new one should give you about 55-60 degrees load at the most. Mine was higher because my HSF was kinda scratched and that really screwed it up

I'm guessing you built this PC yourself so you know your way around one. So I want you to take out the motherboard and remount the CPU cooler again, this time OUT of the case. Look on the bottom and make sure the pins in the plastic attachment totally come out. Make sure you clean the old thermal compound off(With alcohol and a coffee filter or another lint free cloth), and apply arctic silver. Remember with AS less is more and don't apply too much. Check their website for instructions.

If you don't understand any of this then let us know and I will try to post pics.

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

looks as though he is using stock cpu hsf. I would ditch the ECS mobo and also pick up a descent aftermarket performance hsf.

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah a Freezer 7 Pro is only 30 bucks and it turned out pretty good. BTW if you want a new power supply AND a new case look into the Ultra GRID(no it doesn't stand for the older AIDS name) case with the 700W XVS modular power supply. So far I haven read a negative review for that power supply and they all mention that the PSU that it comes with is very good.

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

including the 965 chipset, the 975 and 680i are also good choices.